1,673 results
All reviews guest house history tour outdoor center fitness center maria von trapp family history music fan bakery deli the main dining room cross country skiing austrian style time share rock climbing wall mountain biking views are spectacular indoor pool maple syrup
Reviewed 23 January 2018

We visited the dining room at the Trapp Family lodge for the history. Although a unique spot, the food was very average. The beet and goat cheese salad was tasty, but very small portion. Our entrees (beef, gnocchi, wienerschnitzel & venison) were average at best. For dessert - the linzer tort wasn't good at all. Overall - a bit of a disappointment

Date of stay: January 2018
3  Thank Gretchen H
Reviewed 22 January 2018

First time on the property. You definitely need good tires or snow tires in the winter to climb those hills. Very attentive staff and the lodge tour helped us get the inside story on the Trapp family and the Sound of Music! So fun! Excellent way to be introduced to this magical property. We;ll be back to ski or snowshoe and head up to the chapel. Loved the sampler plate in the pub with Trapp cheeses, and the Trapp lagers were not to be missed! Wonderful beer!

Room tip: The lodge is in the process of renovating rooms. You may want to inquire. Some have beautiful forward facings views of the mountains!
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Fine Dining. Great for after a long day xc skiing. Lovely entranceway with hanging plants. Food is divine!
Cocktails, excellent. My advice is go and see for yourself! Don't be surprised if you absolutely love it.

Date of stay: February 2017
Reviewed 21 January 2018

I need to preface my review with a few personal facts. I love The Sound of Music, for its music, scenery, and the adaptation of the story of the Von Trapp family. As a young man I visited the Lodge for the day, and was able to see the iconic Maria Von Trapp herself, being the consummate hostess, signing books and making guest feel very welcome. I pray that where ever she is now, her view of the lodge that bears her family's name is obstructed. If not, I'm sure she is rather sad. This review is based upon a stay during the past New Years weekend (12/30/17 to 01/01/18, and I have waited until now for the emotionality to wane in order for me to be as objective as possible, so here I go.
I understand supply and demand, resort area pricing, generally the economics of vacationing. So when, an unforeseen complication scuttled our original NYE plans, I was excited that my fiancée was able to book the Trapp Family Lodge. Its reputation as a quality lodging experience had me intrigued, and after learning that our New Year’s Eve dining would take place there as well I was excited, after reviewing the Main Dining Room's online menu.
It would be the dining that would be the most disappointing portion of the stay, but I will address that further in the review. The arrival to the hotel was very positive, with the bellman friendly and professional. The front desk staff was also warm and welcoming, so there was hope. Our room was of fairly decent size, as the king bed and couch did not seem to sit right on top of each other. The small balcony faced the area from which fireworks were displayed, and would have been a delightful place to take morning coffee, if it hadn't been -19F. I would have expected proper Adirondack chairs crafted from wood, but the blue plastic ones would have sufficed had they been used. The bathroom showed signs of renovation, and the overall appearance was clean and well kept. During our stay, we also experienced the Bier hall and Brewery. An open, light filled space, the Bier hall was rather loud, but this was to be expected. The food offerings were well balanced to the liquid consumed, although the service staff appeared to be somewhat scripted in their comments and interactions. I would certainly have lunch and libations there again.
And now I have to speak of the New Year’s Eve meal. We had an 8:45 seating, attempting and anticipating a romantic slow paced meal that we could follow up with the hotel’s planned fireworks display to announce the New Year. What we found was so so far from that. Neither at the time of reservation nor on the Lodge’s website was there any mention that the evenings dining would be a buffet. They had mentioned when taking our reservation that there was a special holiday menu, but we thought that indicated a smaller limited selection menu. Had we known, an attempt would have made to get a reservation at one of the areas other restaurants. This was our first New Year’s Eve as a couple, and I had great hopes for a magical time. What we found was an amalgamation between Hometown Buffet meets Chucky Cheese. Young children were running amuck throughout the dining room, and two in particular were using the edge of our table as an ad hoc vaulting horse as they sprinted back and forth to the dessert table. I cannot completely fault the establishment for the conduct of these children, but none of the staff even appeared to regulate this behavior or attempt to bring it to the attention of their obviously oblivious parents. The food offerings for the evening included a couple of well-crafted appetizers of smoked salmon and steak tar tare, a salad station consisting of iceberg lettuce and tomatoes, a made to order pasta station with two attendants, who appeared to be a little overwhelmed. This was followed by a raw bar that seemed a bit picked over by the time of our seating and included but one pair of tongs to facilitate serving. This shortcoming was brought to the attention of the staff, but did not get remedied during the service. A Luke warm beef tenderloin and a salmon in puff pastry rounded out the dining offering. The aforementioned dessert table contained doughnuts, cupcakes, and slices of an unknown dark cake. To say our taste buds were sad is an understatement, but at the completion of the meal the sticker shock bill pushed me over the edge. We each had one cocktail, sampled the buffet once, and declined the dessert, and were presented a $257.00 bill. The previous evening we had dined in Stowe proper at Harrisons, and experienced a meal that was head and shoulders above the Trapp offering for less than $100.00. Again, I understand holiday dining, resort pricing, the economics of vacation. But if I’m going to be robbed, I would prefer masks and guns pointed in my general direction. Upon leaving the dining room and heading back upstairs we had a chat with the front desk staff, who offered apologies and asked for my information so a call could be made from the director of food and beverage, which I received two days later by arrangement. I was provided somewhat hollow apologizes for my experience, and excuses as to why the buffet was chosen as well as why there wasn’t an adult only seating. I was also promised consolatory gift certificates to the Bier hall, was at of this date (1/21/18) have not been received. Perhaps during non-holiday times, the Trapp Family Lodge presents a more positive experience. I’ll never know, as I won’t be returning. Rest in peace Maria.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank brycedreamer
Reviewed 11 January 2018

We been to Trapp Family Lodge numerous time. Twice we stay @ 1 br condo many yeras ago. We use their Spa services at least 4x. In past we love their services & amenities. This time we be our last & final time. The lodge has went downhill !! The massage therapist gave me mediocre massage. I ask for deep tissue as my muscle are sore for days of skiing. She does not even know how to adminster proper sport or deep tissue masage. I ask for trigger point, which is poorly executed. Please noted i am not new to massage treatment. I usually get massage every 2-3 months. OMG the spa locker room is filthy & unkept. Well now i have to find another spa in Stowe, Vt. I WILL NOT RETURN TO THEM EVER!!!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank pug100sterling