“Exposes an important story”
Review of Rokeby

Rokeby
More attraction details
Owner description: Eighteenth century Vermont cape house and home to writer Rowland Evans Robinson and his artist daughter Rachel Robinson Elmer.
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

This museum holds a thought provoking exhibit on a Vermonter's role in supporting the underground railway and the context of human slavery in the 1800s until the end of the Civil War

One can also visit the homestead that served as a shelter for those escaping slavery.
The homestead contains a home and other buildings related to the workings of a farm
The setting is lovely
We were very disappointed that we could not visit the home but we should have checked the museum's website beforehand. It clearly spells out the specific days house tours are given
It is unfortunate but according to the person from whom we purchased our tickets, the museum lacks financial resources to give tours every day

1  Thank explorer044
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

The house stands like it was just yesterday, our tour guide was extremely knowledgeably and pointed out interesting issues, However, i felt that the video information in the museum was a better rendering of the actual events, and was very tastefully done. I would recommend a pair of good shoes for walking the grounds. review . The family still has roots in this area, and their are many quaker families who supported this underground railroad.'

Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

I was a little disappointed in this. I really had hoped to learn more about the Underground Railroad. The house tour essentially had next to nothing to do with the Underground Railroad and I felt it was wasted time, as I've been in and learned about enough old New England farmhouses for a lifetime. The tour guide was also most unfriendly. If your primary interest is the Underground Railroad, just skip the house tour and use that time to explore the grounds or exhibits.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

The Rokeby Museum is a must see for families with children studying the Revolutionary War period. They have marvelous exhibits and discuss the underground railroad in this area in some detail. There are also period houses to visit and tours as well. Tuesday afternoons are free . . .

Reviewed 18 June 2016

I purposed to visit so I could tell my grandchildren about the Underground Railroad and how Vermont played a part in it. The museum was well laid out, and the tour of the Robinson House was fantastic. While much creds go to the Dakin family for building the farm, I learned so much about what was done to help abolish slavery while the Robinsons occupied the land. The tour guide really knew her stuff, and she was very patient as I straddled behind her on the house tour. To actually stand in the rooms where history was made was rewarding. The museum on the second floor of the Education Center was moving. I encourage any African-American passing through Vermont to stop and take in some of the history. Personally, I never knew Vermont was so instrumental in abolishing slavery, and I'm glad I decided to come here. This is the stuff that's not being taught in the history books.