“More about farming than Underground Railroad ”
Review of Rokeby

Rokeby
More attraction details
Owner description: Eighteenth century Vermont cape house and home to writer Rowland Evans Robinson and his artist daughter Rachel Robinson Elmer.
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

I was a little disappointed in this. I really had hoped to learn more about the Underground Railroad. The house tour essentially had next to nothing to do with the Underground Railroad and I felt it was wasted time, as I've been in and learned about enough old New England farmhouses for a lifetime. The tour guide was also most unfriendly. If your primary interest is the Underground Railroad, just skip the house tour and use that time to explore the grounds or exhibits.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

The Rokeby Museum is a must see for families with children studying the Revolutionary War period. They have marvelous exhibits and discuss the underground railroad in this area in some detail. There are also period houses to visit and tours as well. Tuesday afternoons are free . . .

Reviewed 18 June 2016

I purposed to visit so I could tell my grandchildren about the Underground Railroad and how Vermont played a part in it. The museum was well laid out, and the tour of the Robinson House was fantastic. While much creds go to the Dakin family for building the farm, I learned so much about what was done to help abolish slavery while the Robinsons occupied the land. The tour guide really knew her stuff, and she was very patient as I straddled behind her on the house tour. To actually stand in the rooms where history was made was rewarding. The museum on the second floor of the Education Center was moving. I encourage any African-American passing through Vermont to stop and take in some of the history. Personally, I never knew Vermont was so instrumental in abolishing slavery, and I'm glad I decided to come here. This is the stuff that's not being taught in the history books.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

We stopped here on a whim, glad we did. It left us with a better understanding of the underground railroad concept, how some northerners tried to help some of the slaves runaway slaves. We could not go into the house, but enjoyed the great museum in the visitors center. Apparently the house tours are only Friday to Monday 11:30 and 2. We popped in on a Tuesday afternoon so got free admission to the museum woo-woo but the house wasn't open.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

This is a gem of a museum. It tells the history of a farm built in the 1780s by the Dakin family, then owned by the Robinson family for many generations. The site has the farmhouse and numerous outbuildings. Each gives a glimpse into the ebbs and flows of products and the entrepreneurial nature of the Robinson family. In the visitor's center was a small art display of drawings done by one of the Robinson men. Upstairs, there is a top notch, museum quality display on slavery, the abolitionist movement, and the history of Rokeby as one of several safe houses. Plan on an hour. Very friendly staff.