1,606 results
All reviews cooking class culinary resort culinary institute outlet mall tavern restaurant main building the outdoor hot tub steam room tennis courts grounds are lovely room was large fitness center burlington area manor building fire pit new england lake champlain
Reviewed 12 August 2018

This was our third stay at The Essex. We originally visited in 2015, again for our wedding at their sister property (The Ponds) last year and then in July of this year. It is a wonderful place to stay. They have amazing food and this time we even had the opportunity to try out one of their cooking classes. The accommodations are terrific and the staff is friendly, welcoming and go above and beyond for you. I can't say enough about The Essex!

Room Tip: We chose a culinary king spa suite for the extra space and amazing spa tub!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Taylor V, Social Media Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words, LoveToTravel_8275309! Our team here is so happy to hear you got to try out Cook Academy during this visit and that you enjoyed it! Those classes are guest favorites and we hope you get to try another one during your next stay. We're already looking forward to it!

Best wishes,
The Essex team

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a business trip and it was fabulous. The room was nice, the people were helpful and friendly and the food during our meetings and at their restaurant was delicious. The grounds are beautiful and I love that they have bicycles you can borrow for free. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights for my nephews wedding. We walked into the main house and this young man opened the door for us. We stood around not knowing where to check in. There is a coffee bar/pastry counter as you walk in and another young man was there getting pastries for someone. We wandered & ended up in the tavern and were told we check in at the pastries. It would have been nice for one of the 2 young men to greet us & at least say I'll be right with you or something. We had a room in the "mansion" with a queen bed. As soon as you walk into the mansion it smells very musty & not very welcoming. The room was fine nothing special but definitely in need of some repair. We ate in the tavern three times-once for breakfast. Meals were fine, but I expected a little more given it's a culinary hotel. Found it very pricey for what. Customer service overall is lacking even when you call - it's difficult to reach anyone. The wedding food was more lacking than our meals in the tavern. My chicken was way over cooked. I wouldn't go bad as it's definitely not worth the price.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank jencbuddy1
Reviewed 8 August 2018

This was our last hotel on an 8 day journey so we planned on resting and refueling here. This hotel did not disappoint! The rooms were comfortable, not super-glam, but clean, comfortable and quiet. The resort had 3 wedding parties at the resort while we were there and we weren't bothered at all by any late night partying they may have done. The food was absolutely fabulous. We asked for a table on the patio. They took my cell and said they would send a text when our table was ready which meant we could explore the grounds while waiting. It had started raining and we thought they would be backed up moving people inside. They are so clever, they have a fabulous (and very large) retractable awning over the patio where we enjoyed a meal and a few drinks. The setting is wonderful, the patio was situated in a backyard setting with plants surrounding it, a garden behind it and goats on site. There was a bon-fire (I'm assuming for the wedding guests). The only negative I have is that I reserved the room in March and they charged my credit card in March (5 months before I was travelling). If I'm in this region again, I'll definitely book another night (or 2)!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Taylor V, Social Media Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

We’re so glad to read that you had a great experience resting and refueling on our grounds! The team here at The Essex is happy to hear such great feedback on so many aspects of our resort. Isn't the back area by The Tavern patio gorgeous? Glad you got to enjoy it! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes,
The Essex Team

Reviewed 8 August 2018

The room was big, bright, comfortable and at an affordable price. The resort is clean inside out and the staff is friendly. The cooking class was a great experience and the price is good when you factored in that you eat what you cooked.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple