“Sunny and bustling”

Ranked #12 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 14
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: August First is locally owned and has been serving great pastries, coffee, breakfast and lunch since 2009. A true local favorite, located in a bright and open renovated industrial garage. A very Vermont experience with fresh and delicious food served by a friendly staff. Everything is made from scratch!
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We lucked into this happenin' place and loved the warm sunny vibe indoors....could have eaten outside on a picnic table too. But there are tons of windows. This is a coffee shop, bakery, restaurant, casual-deluxe. We had soup and salad and it was fresh and delicious. The jalapeno baguette on the side made me go back the next day to get bread to take home and they were closed. (Sunday). Sad.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I guess there aren't many people who'd drive a ways just for some cinnamon rolls at a bakery, but I"m on a Don Quixote-like quest for the perfect one. So when I searched Burlington bakeries and August 1st touted their cinnamon rolls, off I went on a Sat. morning to check them out.
From reading some reviews I had expected a casual, laid-back atmosphere and it was.
There was a nice buzz with a interesting mix of people including a couple of families with youngish kids who'd pushed a couple of tables together. And I didn't get the sense that one can find in a few Burlington establishments of pretentious, oh-so-cool people really impressed with themselves. The staff was relaxed and pleasant as I purchased a couple of cinnamon rolls and several cookies.
Both were quite good; the cookies had nice taste and texture and the rolls were definitely a cut above, though I would've preferred icing instead of powdered sugar as a topping. So they were good, but I didn't thing they were $2.75-a-piece good.
Understanding that a review based on some rolls and cookies doesn't exactly provide any depth, I went back the next Friday morning to try a breakfast. The place was still nice and mellow, but no families(school & work day) and more young professional and student types. I kept it simple; a breakfast sandwich and coffee, and to give them another try, a cinnamon roll again for the road. The egg and sausage sandwich, with hollandaise sauce, was sumptuous. A great sandwich has ingredients that blend together to make it more than just the sum of its parts, and this one did. The bread was tasty and crunchy, but not so hard that when you bit into it the ingredients on the far side start oozing out. What really make it special was the sausage, with a distinctive taste but not so spicy that it overwhelmed the egg and hollandaise. Give it an A, and while I don't think I'd trek to Burlington just for another one, if I happen to be there some morning, I'm coming back for more. As for the cinnamon roll I'll stand by my comments above; I think it's a bit overpriced.
OK, this doesn't cover lunch and the only dinner they serve, flatbread pizza on Friday night. I hope to get back there this spring to check them out. They have a nice, if not overwhelming, website(www.augustfirst.typepad.com/) that has some nice touches like Twitter posts of what soups and specials there are for lunch that day.
Overall, a nice place to get some nice food that blends nicely into the fabric of life in Burlington, VT.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Just a block north of the Hilton, this bakery & cafe has been open a few years, but bakes bread & pastries to perfection. The space is open & airy, very inviting. We had their breakfast salmon & cream cheese w/ capers sandwich served on warm 12 grain artisan bread. We even stopped in on our departure morning to pick up a few for the road, along with chewy macaroons, buttery oatmeal raisin cookies & moist flavourful scones (chocolate & orange/lemon ginger/cranberry walnut/chocolate & pecan). The coffee was great. So was the kalamata olive bread which we enjoyed our 1st night back w/ some creamy VT cheese & wine of course.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

A really funky bakery/cafe in an old garage, this place has great breads, breakfast items, and sandwiches on that great bread. Their breakfasts are delicious and quick, you order at the counter and help yourself to seating. They make a breakfast sandwich with eggs, ham and vermont cheddar on a homemade Jalapeno Cheddar roll which is to die for. Reasonable prices, too. Well worth the visit.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I try to have lunch here whenever I am in Burlington. The food is fresh and simply prepared with great bread. The soups and curried chicken salad are always good. The design of the building gives it a great vibe.