“Classic Diner Food and Then Some”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Benn Diner

Blue Benn Diner
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 15
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Williamstown, MA
“Classic Diner Food and Then Some”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This place has slipped a bit from its glory days but its still worth a stop if you love diners. They have a huge variety of menu offerings from the usual items to things like Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Portland, Maine
“Quaint building, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have been to the Blue Benn many times over the past 20 years and it still is amazing. Just ate there last week with family. The kids love the juke box at each table in the old dining car set up as much as the wonderful homemade style food. There is an eclectic mix of huevos rancheros to omelettes to all sorts of waffles and pancakes. The booths are perfect for 4 adults (we squeezed 2 kids and 4 adults in). The only limitation is that there's seating arrangement for a large group to sit together. There are about 10 identical booths adjacent to a long counter with swivel stools. We will definitely keep going back year after year.

• Visited April 2012
Monroe, Connecticut
“A diner like a diner ought to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

OK - I know this one is up for debate as to how great a diner ought to be, but this humble reviewer believes that anyone looking for a REAL diner need no look further than the Blue Benn in Bennington, VT.

First, this is a Silk City diner from sometime in the 1940s. Big deal or no? It is for me - you can't beat the atmosphere that these old diners bring to the table (or counter, as it were). True, we are talking cramped - 5 people at a booth? Someone is sitting at the end in the middle of the aisle...been there and done that!

Appearances aside, the service is friendly. I read somewhere once that the servers were a little less than friendly but I've never seen that. Locals and out-of-towners (and both are easy to spot) are treated the same...it's just that the locals are known by name. I've yet to see college students treated any different either.

The food is my favorite part. I'm not sure what a previous reviewer is talking about, but then again for me, diners are breakfast places and as such, breakfast is all I will speak of. First, the sausage gravy is superb. Lots of places serve it up and it is bland. Not the Blue Benn. My father-in-law tried to eat it for breakfast AND dinner, but once the batch is done it is done...and usually early. The hash is excellent and the pancakes are huge. My son's blueberry pancakes were served one at a time - too big for the plate otherwise.

Every day it pays to look at the specials, taped on the wall. Gingerbread pancakes, cornbread french toast...all favorites. Do I like the Blue Benn? Listen, to me food is a destination in and of itself. The Blue Benn is a reason for me coming to Bennington when I have no other reason, and is reason enough for me to plan breakfast road trips that are 3 hours one-way!

• Visited April 2012
Bennington, VT
“Not what it used to be.........”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have the feeling this diner has a new owner. I ate here a few years ago and the food was great... this time, it was mediocre...

Visited September 2011
Scarsdale, New York
“Still Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I've been visiting the Blue Benn for 25 years (not very often now as I live out of state.) I love the food, the fact that favorites of mine from years ago remain unchanged, the wealth of vegetarian options, and the fabulous mix of patrons, which includes Bennington College students, factory workers and everyone in between.

Visited March 2012