“Can't beat the Verde!”

La Frontera Cafe
Ranked #165 of 240 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Best Verde in all the states I have tried Verde in. By far our favorite mexican restaurant. We often just order the chips and salsa for take out. Always fast, consistent and great service!

Reviewed 29 March 2016

What a mistake four of us made going to dinner here. The service was absolutely terrible-our waitress could have cared less if we were there and appeared totally bored. My dinner was so late that the othe three had finished their's before I even started mine. The food most have all come from a can or a frozen box. We've never visited a 'Mexican food' restaurant worse than this one.

Reviewed 9 November 2015

My wife, step-daughter, and I went to La Frontera in Sandy, near the South Towne Mall, on Saturday afternoon, November 7, 2015, for my step-daughter’s birthday dinner. It’s her favorite restaurant for Mexican food.
We all chose the large combination plate with the smothered burrito, including cheese and onions, which is the bottom choice under Large Combination on their menu. My wife and I had the chile verde and her daughter had the chile colorado to smother the burritos.
Their tortilla chips as an appetizer are crunchy rather than light, flaky, and crispy, so those aren’t my favorite. Ours also had quite a few chips that were oily and rubbery, so they had evidently stuck together while they were being cooked and didn’t cook right.
They provide red salsa in a squeeze bottle for the chips, which is spicier than I like and rather plain, otherwise, but that might be from the blending they have to do to make it usable in a squeeze bottle. I also use the salsa on other things on my plate, especially the rice.
My wife said she had plenty of green sauce (chile verde), but I thought my plate was a bit short. They certainly made up for it with the cheese, though.
Their rice is rather plain, but squirting some salsa on it and mixing it some with the beans helps.
The menu selection also includes a home-made flour tortilla, which is thicker and softer than any I’ve ever had elsewhere, so those are fun by themselves or as torn pieces to dip up some of the remaining beans and such on the plate.
Our waiter was attentive and friendly, yet professional, throughout the meal. That part of our experience was good.
All in all, I like La Frontera well enough on the rare occasions when my family can talk me into going, so if you find yourself with an appetite for Mexican food near one of their locations at lunch or supper time, drop in and treat yourself to their good food.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

We used to eat here once a month or more. Loved the chicken burrito -- smothered. There is lots of meat and the smothering cheese is so good. I think the price DOUBLED the last time we were there. Which is why it is the last time we went :(

Reviewed 26 October 2015

I have several friends who say this is the best Mexican restaurant. Whenever I go with them I always wonder if they have ever been to another Mexican restaurant. Its better than Mexican fast food but I've been to several that are better. Their daily specials are a good price but the only time I go here is when one of my friends invites me to go with them.