“Hidden gem of a Japanese restaurant”
Review of Hanamaru

Hanamaru
Ranked #34 of 403 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 17 May 2016

There are two Japanese restaurants in Northern Utah that I can recommend: this one (Hanamaru) and Tona, and both are located in Ogden. Roy and Miyako, the owner-chefs, are professionally trained chefs and create the authentic, delicious flavors of their native Japan. After living many years in Japan, I have high expectations for Japanese food, and most other places don't make the grade. I like Hanamaru's casual, friendly atmosphere and the small, home-like setting where you can see the bustle of the kitchen nearby. Hanamaru also teaches an occasional cooking class. My wife and I signed up and learned more about Japanese cooking, but admittedly I was there mostly for the delicious food that they demonstrated and shared with class members -- a fun experience.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

My husband and I have both lived in Japan and have been looking for a really good Japanese restaurant without having to drive to Salt Lake City. We chanced upon an ad for Hanamaru last weekend. Saturday is their Ramen/Udon day. Think excellent ramen without the added salt and actually made by a person who knows their art to perfection. The restaurant is small with not much parking. We found parking on the street and found a real treat. You can smell the broth as you walk in. The ambiance is Japanese. The food is delicious and (bonus) we had more for lunch on Sunday. We'll go again to taste their other wonderful food!
Reservations with pre-order of food.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

The Hanamaru is an old house turned into a beautiful restaurant. You have all your traditional sushi fare along with delicious noodle dishes and the best green tea around. The seating is very limited, maybe 16 people max, so make a reservation or show up right when it opens. We typically order a Vegas Roll, and a few others in additional to beef noodles.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

Very friendly, traditional Japanese restaurant run by 3 people. The food was excellent and prepared in the open kitchen. I really reminded me of ramen shops in Japan. They do offer ramen for Saturday lunch until it runs out. The sushi also looked fresh and the tempura is made-to-order. The parking area is tiny but so is the inside seating area so I suppose it works out. They also have a deck area outside for when the weather is nice. I want to come back on a Saturday for ramen. Closed on Sundays and they close mid-day between lunch and dinner. Older and well-behaved kids are okay but remember that the seating area is compact.

Reviewed 4 December 2015 via mobile

My friend suggested this place, and wow was I surprised. I'm a foodie and really appreciate people who are passionate about good food. This is your place if that's what you're looking for! I had sushi, and it was top notch. My friend had an amazing chicken/noodle soup.