“Great Experience!”

Holiday Inn Express Ogden
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Reviewed 2 November 2011

HI Express is always my hotel of choice for traveling. I always appreciate the clean rooms and great breakfast selection. HI Express Ogden has a great location and the staff was nice and helpful. It is 5-10 minutes from the historic downtown Ogden that has great local restaurants.

Room Tip: I booked my room online and selected the 'room with a view option'. And my room does have a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

After checking out the rates and hotels in Salt Lake City, mom and I opted for the extra few miles and went north to Ogden. Thank goodness. The Holiday Inn Express was easy to find right off the highway. Super nice hostess, warm cookies and a gift bag to greet us. Handicap room was super spacious, king bed was very comfortable, and great bathroom with hand hold bars for mom. Had dinner at Cactus Reds right out the front door of the hotel. Good Mexican/Barbque food. Real nice folks. Wonderful breakfast served in a very nice room off the lobby. Definetly would stay here again.

Room Tip: Handicap room was great. Met all our needs. Had a small "living room" with a wet bar, fr...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Pleasantly surprised by this HI Express just off the freeway. It is less than 10 years old, fresh and clean. Ask for a room in the back of the building so you aren't facing the freeway and so you are facing the beautiful mountain range.

The very large breakfast area was well stocked. This was the only motel we stayed at this trip that had a pancake machine, which delighted the girls.

The restaurant, Red's, across the parking lot was just OK but seemed to be popular with the locals. I am spoiled though, since we have great Mexican food in California.

Would definitely stay here again, online hotel rate was good and free Internet

Room Tip: Ask for back of property, great views of the mountains
1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel twice - once at the end of July, 2011 on the way to Wyoming and once a week later on the way back. The first night stay was great! The second night, not so much.

On the first night we were running late, so I called and spoke to the front desk rep who told me not to worry, our room was waiting for us. When we arrived, she quickly checked us in and handed us a bag full of goodies! Since we had paid in advance in full for our room, I didn't want to have to use a credit card for incidentals (knew we wouldn't have any), so she said she would take an imprint only. We had had problems with being overcharged when we'd paid in full in the past, which is why we didn't want to have them authorize our card. Anyhow, the front desk rep did exactly as we asked and all was done with a smile. The hotel appears to have been recently remodeled and was an upgraded version of other Holiday Inn Express hotels we've stayed in. Our room was nice, with two double beds, which were very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked. Room service is available from the restaurant across the street. It's not the nicest location...next to the 1-15, but the noise from the freeway was minimal inside the hotel. We had a comfortable sleep before our long drive the next day and ate a lovely (free) breakfast of scrambled eggs, cinnamon rolls and coffee in the breakfast room on the first floor. The swimming pool was small, but warm and there was a hot tub and exercise room available, too. Wifi was free. For the $89 we paid, it was worth it. By the way, the woman tending to breakfast was sweet and very helpful and kept everything clean. All in all, our first night was great!

The second night, on our way back from Wyoming was not so great. The hotel was completely booked and the front desk staff seemed stressed. They asked for a credit card for incidentals and I told them about our stay the week before...that the front desk clerk only took an imprint of our card. Both women looked appalled that I would even ask to do such a thing! The one woman looked at me like I was a criminal and said, "Well, I'll have to talk to her about that!" She then told me that I would need to leave a $150 cash deposit, in addition to the $89 I had already paid in advance, to stay there. We didn't feel like looking for another hotel, so we forked over the cash and made sure to get a receipt for it to get it back in the morning. When we got to our room, we found that we had been upgraded to a larger room, since the hotel was fully booked. This was a very pleasant surprise! The room had a small "living room" space, as well as a tiny kitchen with sink, stove and microwave. The bathroom was about the same size as the other room. We settled in after spending a few hours in Ogden. My daughter noticed that there was toilet paper in the toilet leftover from before we had been in the room. She flushed the toilet and the toilet EXPLODED and started to flood the bathroom. My husband called down to the front desk to ask for a plunger. The staff said they would get one to us, but never did. He finally went downstairs and got one himself, then tried to clear out the toilet. It didn't go down, so he called the front desk again and was told there was no one on site who could help us. She said she would see what she could do. A while later she called and told me that that the maintenance person was coming to the hotel to try to fix the toilet, but he had to drive to the hotel, so it would be while... He finally arrived at close to 10pm, tried to snake it, but it didn't work, left, came back and tried a different snake. That didn't work either. At that point he apologized, said he would let the front desk know and we wouldn't have to pay for the night, but we wouldn't be able to use the toilet at all...that we would have to go downstairs to the first floor to use the toilet. We called the front desk and were told that there were "no rooms available anywhere in Ogden," so we would have to stay in the room. No one came up to clean up the mess, so we had to sleep in the room with filth on the floor of the bathroom all night. The next morning, when I went downstairs to collect my $150, the front desk rep told me that she would need to have the room inspected before she would give us our money back. I couldn't believe it, but said fine. Then I asked her if she knew about what happened the night before. She said, with a look of disgust, "Yes, your toilet overflowed." I said, "Yes, with someone else's poop and we had to sleep in that room." She asked, "Someone else's poop? It wasn't your poop?" I told her, "No, it wasn't my poop!" She then started typing like crazy on her keyboard and then said, "Oh, I guess you want a refund for the night. " "Yes," I said, "I want a refund for the night and my $150 deposit back!" "We'll have someone inspect the room right away," she said curtly. At that point we stopped to have breakfast in the breakfast room, which was again quite good, and then went to the room to gather our bags. We ran into the maintenance guy from the night before and he told us that it was a plumbing issue that involved more than just our room and again apologized. The maid who inspected our room apologized, too, that we had to stay in a room like that all night. At the front desk, when I walked up this time, the woman was stuttering! "I guess this is a bigger plumbing issue than we originally thought. We're having to bring in a professional plumber. So sorry that you had this happen to you. We've credited you for your stay last night." She also gave me the $150.

Would we stay here again? Probably, but they really need to work on their front desk staff. Guests should not be made to stay in a room with human waste on the bathroom floor. They should have done everything possible to get us out of that room! If it weren't for the second night, though, I would have rated this hotel higher.

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly hotel. There are two large grassy areas to walk dogs and you can request a r...
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Loved this location very clean easy to find and a great breakfast.