“Horrible ”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 529.00*
and up
3-Day Tour: Sedona, Monument Valley and Antelope...
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were driving from Moab to Page, thought it would be a nice drive through Monument valley. The cost of 20$ to get in gate on a very nice paved road. When you get in and try to drive down the gravel road you can barely make it a half mile with the big holes. One car in front of us slide off the steep edge and they pulled her out with wench on truck, tore up the bottom of her car. We ended up turning around and left. We could have talked Jeep tour but riding down a dusty bumpy road wasn’t what we had in mind.

All reviews
in 150 reviews
"low clearance"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Was on our bucket list and it did not disappoint! We stayed at The View Hotel and had fantastic views of the Mittens and the entire valley. Love the sunrise and sunset here. The colors of the valley were mesmerizing! A truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

You've likely seen many pictures that have piqued your interest but I can assure you, seeing these buttes in person is absolutely unforgettable. This place was on my bucket list for years. This is not a National Park, nor is it remotely operated like one. If you're a seasoned NP traveler you'll quickly realize the difference. Signage is a bit vague, accepts cash only to enter, the services and amenities are very limited in the immediate area. We stayed at The View and used a private tour company to travel the loop. Without a doubt, it was the best way to see it. Unless you have a high clearance vehicle and a driver who'd rather focus on the avoiding dips/holes/bumps instead of taking inn the beauty, I see no reason why'd you come all this way and try to navigate it yourself. It's a disservice to your driver because the road is rough. The tour companies have access to some areas regulator vehicles do not. Visitors should plan to spend a full day &/or one overnight if their schedule allows. Unless you have a ton of time on your hand I don't see what else one would do in this area if they stayed 2 nights or more. It's fairly remote with not much around other than tours/excursions for MV.

1  Thank bethanynd
Reviewed 21 May 2018

This was on my husband's bucket list so we basically planned our entire Utah road trip around it.

It's huge and remote but worth going there. We stayed at The View hotel inside Monument Valley (separate review on that).

Entrance fee for Monument Valley is $20 and I think if you are staying at the very expensive View Hotel they should waive that fee.

We were traveling in a minivan and decided to do the self-drive tour. The roads are dirt and quite rough in spots, but we made it. Most of the road is not that bad but the bad spots are bad. You'd think with the thousands and thousands of visitors paying for entry and tours that they'd spend a little money to fix up the rough spots. I'm not saying pave it, just smooth it out a bit.

It was very hot and windy when we were there. Unfortunate about the wind because it was blowing the sand all around and you really couldn't stay out long in it.

But we did the self drive and took pics at all the lookouts. We saw some horses grazing. By the end we were dusty and shaken up!

Every lookout has locals selling jewelry in little wooden shack like structures. I wish they were selling something other than jewelry!! I don't wear much jewelry but I would have liked to buy something. I did get a couple of little things in the gift shop.

I got up for sunset but unfortunately it wasn't an amazing sunset, you never know when it will be a great sunset or not.

2  Thank Karen C