“Pretty amazing”

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park
Reviewed 21 May 2018

This was on my husband's bucket list so we basically planned our entire Utah road trip around it.

It's huge and remote but worth going there. We stayed at The View hotel inside Monument Valley (separate review on that).

Entrance fee for Monument Valley is $20 and I think if you are staying at the very expensive View Hotel they should waive that fee.

We were traveling in a minivan and decided to do the self-drive tour. The roads are dirt and quite rough in spots, but we made it. Most of the road is not that bad but the bad spots are bad. You'd think with the thousands and thousands of visitors paying for entry and tours that they'd spend a little money to fix up the rough spots. I'm not saying pave it, just smooth it out a bit.

It was very hot and windy when we were there. Unfortunate about the wind because it was blowing the sand all around and you really couldn't stay out long in it.

But we did the self drive and took pics at all the lookouts. We saw some horses grazing. By the end we were dusty and shaken up!

Every lookout has locals selling jewelry in little wooden shack like structures. I wish they were selling something other than jewelry!! I don't wear much jewelry but I would have liked to buy something. I did get a couple of little things in the gift shop.

I got up for sunset but unfortunately it wasn't an amazing sunset, you never know when it will be a great sunset or not.

2  Thank Karen C
in 150 reviews
"low clearance"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

This place was on my bucket list and it didn’t disappoint! We toured the area with Navajo Spirit Tours and would recommend them - especially if you’re lucky enough to get Don as your tour guide.

1  Thank 271jonb
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

The scenery was spectacular. We took lots of pictures. Even our grandchildren loved it. We didn't have time to do the tour with a native Navajo but I would recommend this. The visitors center had a wonderful selection of souvenirs and a small museum which was very informative and interesting. There was also a restaurant with a great view of the mountains.

1  Thank Astrid1511
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Gorgeous! Breathtaking! Reminiscence of Cowboy and Indians movies of the 50s and 60s. A lover only of cold weather, I completely forgot the searing heat and let my eyes and heart soak in the beauty of the rock formations formed over millions of years! Awesome! Pictures and movies cannot do the place justice. Really.

1  Thank Mojolingum
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

There is an entrance fee for $10 per person for two days entrance.

They have some great views of the “mittens” from The View. From the parking lot (far side), you can drive your own vehicle on the 17 mile dirt road. This is an easy drive but has a few rough spots. You can drive this with almost any vehicle (non 4wd) as long as it is dry. Again, a few areas you will need to be careful and drive slowly. If you don’t want to drive then you can go on a tour. There are numerous people doing these. You can book online or through the view or Goulding’s hotels.

The park closes to vehicle traffic (unless you have a guide) at sunset. It’s that they do not force you out. They just prefer you be out. The entry gate to the dirt road will close at sunset. The exit side is never closed.

We hired a guide to do night time photography if the Milky Way and it was fantastic. I will post a review of that shortly. We used Carl philips photography tours.

I think the best time to visit is late afternoon and sunset. Also middle of the night with dark skies (days around the new moon).

1  Thank Jim W