“Happy we found this one!”
Review of Penny Ann's Cafe

Penny Ann's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 134 Restaurants in Draper
Description: Winner Best of State Best Breakfast, with our signature "Heavenly Hot Cakes" - Penny Ann's Cafe is a family affair. The restaurant's namesake, Penny Ann, and her sister, Cindy, can often be found seating patrons, serving tables or chatting pleasantly with the restaurant's regular customers. Penny's brother Warren is the executive Chef and brother Paul is behind the scenes helping with day to day operations. Wayne and Jane, the parents of the bunch, can often be seen around too helping with all aspects of the business. There are also many nieces and nephews who help cook, prep, serve and bus tables as well as the outstanding staff who feel like family. Originally from upstate New York, the Willey family prides itself on creating the east coast diner family atmosphere where guests can feel comfortable, and relax while they indulge in homemade comfort food. Not only is the atmosphere comfortable and inviting, the food is top notch. For the second year in a row, Penny Ann's Café was the winner of the Best of State award for Best Breakfast. They are known as the Home of the "Heavenly Hot Cakes", and the pancakes are a fantastic place to start when trying to decide on something from the menu. chef Warren Willey has been a chef for many years, and his experience translates into his down-home cooking. Originally from New York, Warren was a chef there before coming to Utah. After the move, he was a chef at Park City's Westgate Grill for 10 years before the family decided to open Penny Ann's. In June of 2011, Penny Ann's opened its doors in downtown Salt Lake City, and had almost instant popularity. After three years in the downtown site, the family decided to open another location and opened in Draper in December of 2014 and are looking at future expansion in the coming months and years.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The service was excellent and the food was fantastic. Great value for the money and a fun environment. Will be back for sure, more than once!

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (247)

Reviewed 19 January 2021

We used the Yelp ap as directed to get on a wait list early. After 2 hour wait we arrived at our scheduled time and checked in with the desk. They told us we were still 10th in line and said it would probably be another 30-45 min wait. Showing how upset we were at their response they went on to blame the delay on the number of "to-go" orders that was slowing down the kitchen. What an unprofessional response, displaying their poor management, prioritizing to-go orders. After another 20 minutes (total 2 hr 20 min) we were still 8th in line and decided to go somewhere else. Unbelievable.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 10 January 2021 via mobile

I've had a couple of frustrating experiences with my orders. The first was an online order that I had placed in Oct, the night before I was to pick it up. The next morning I went to the front of the restaurant to pick up my order, and no one was around to help me, which is fine because they are busy. Except this wasn't the case. There were 3 or 4 waitresses standing in the opposite corner chatting away. They were in absolutely no hurry to get back to work. Once finished chatting, a waitress came over to me, and I told her that I wanted to pick up an order. I told her my name, in which she responded there is no such order. I told her that I had placed it online the night before. She said (to my shock), that they have been so busy that she hasn't had a chance to look at the online orders. (You have got to be kidding me)! Finally after some time, she managed to get an order placed, which took some doing. I sat there for quite a long time waiting for my food. She didn't bother to ask if I'd like some water, coffee, whatever, for the inconvenience. Then today, Jan., my husband called in an order. The person who took the order said they will call back in 15 min to get our credit information, etc. then hung up. Finally, after 40 minutes of no call, my husband had called them to ask about our order. They had no record of the order my husband had placed 40 min earlier. No explanation, no excuses, nothing. We love Penny Anne's Cafe, but there is no excuse to not take customers online, or phone orders seriously. I really don't understand their blasé attitude.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank Cherylzbarrel
Reviewed 21 December 2020

We go here because my wife loves their pancakes. They make them with sour cream which makes them lighter. The place is always full of people. But every time someone enters there is a draft over half of the cafe. When I mentioned this to our server she said, yes we know, next time sit at a different table. REALLY?? They know this is an issue and has been for a long time. FIX THE PROBLEM!!!
Lots of people rave about the food. But the experience is ruined by being cold and the food is cold before you are done eating.
I Do Not recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 13 December 2020 via mobile

You can't go wrong at Penny Ann's. The food is amazing, the portions are huge, and the service is almost always good. Try the Penny Puffs while you wait for your meal and then order anything off the menu. You wont be disappointed.

Date of visit: December 2020