All reviews pioneer room themed rooms tiled bathroom student of frank lloyd wright online photos new owners one of a kind new mexico first glance street noise burrito room was clean enjoyed our stay old style the air conditioning per night night stay
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Fascinating place. The owners arrived from West Virginia in February and have already put a lot of work into this small motel. Allegedly it was designed by a "student of Frank Lloyd Wright". I dunno how much truth is in that (probably too many claim this in general, making me dubious)... but with its horizontal Prairie School-style architecture, and cast concrete block construction it definitely could be inspired by the teachings of Frank Lloyd Wright! It certainly stands out from the usual roadside motel options.

The owners are working on themed rooms painted with murals. Our room, #5, was one of the "un-restored" ones, probably because we were traveling with our two small dogs.

A note on that: listed on Tripadvisor with the amenity "Pets-Allowed", when I called to book I also mentioned our pets and was told they did have pet-friendly room for us. When we arrived at the office to check in there was a sign on the counter that said "We do not accept pets", which surprised and confused me at the end of a long day driving to get there. I asked about the sign, explaining we'd been clear about traveling with dogs and Mike, the owner, made no fuss whatsoever about it-- simply asking if they were the kind of dogs that "shed a lot?" (They have their own travel crate and bedding, so it was all good.) No extra charge for the pets.

The beds in our unrestored room were pretty saggy and old and did not have mattress pads, but we slept fine. Everything was old but clean. The AC unit was ancient but adequate. Nice little shampoos and soaps. The ceilings were crazy tall! My husband had to hang one of our blankets over the full length window to block out the light from the outdoor fixtures at night.

The bathroom was huge, with intricate tile design (perhaps original?) and a tiled bench in the shower. Tall closet spaces. Smart TV, surprisingly great and very fast Wi-Fi! (I was able to upload an entire week's worth of my photos from my camera, something I'd not been able to do at any other place we stayed). Room had fridge, microwave, coffee maker (and coffee supplies).

There was a nest full of baby birds somewhere within the roof-line above our door and they chirped until after the sun went down!

The motel has a small outbuilding out back accessible to guests--it has a full kitchen to use of you'd like to prepare your own meals.

Blanding is very cute, interesting, historic and fun to walk around, but on a Sunday everything is totally closed.

We got a breakfast burrito at adjacent "Pop's Burritos" the next morning before rolling out.

The Cliff Palace is unique. I look forward to what other artistic developments the owners make as they renovate the place.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I spent a nice two nights in Room 8. We enjoyed the detailed theme related accommodations. The boutique motel is centrally located, within walking distance of the downtown dining establishments. Blanding is a good central ‘base’ location for the areas many outdoor sites and activities and the Cliff Palace is the place to stay.
I look forward to seeing the other rooms when they get their themes completed.
My only suggestion is blackout curtains.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

The owners are great and had no problem with our 10:30 pm check in. They are doing an amazing job of redecorating the rooms as themes. We stayed in the pioneer room which was truly adorable and comfortable. There are not many restaurants around, but the ones we ate at were good. We would stay here again if in the area. Someone there is a terrific artist!!

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

We had driven from new Mexico and started feeling groggy about the time we reached blanding. It is customary that we seek small, private establishments to stay rather than filtering more money into large, corporate hotel chains, so we promptly located Cliff Palace right off the highway. We were immediately greeted by the kind and personable owner who took the time to shown us several rooms. We were excited to see that each room is given a theme and is carefully designed with an eye for detail and, at times, a sense of humor. We chose the pioneer room which pays homage to a duo of early blanding settlers. The couple got stranded in a blizzard during a long trek, the man became frostbitten and crippled, and the woman dragged him to safety in a hand cart rather than leaving him for dead. This tale is represented through a gorgeous mural by a local artist, there is a sculpted faux fireplace, and the walls are painted to resemble the inside of a humble cabin. The is tasteful, eclectic, and unique. The bed is comfy and we slept like champs. I would highly recommend Cliff Palace as a base for your adventures without hesitation, particularly if you like nice people, local art, and something a little different than the four boring walls of a chain motel chamber. We were pleased and then some!

1  Thank Laura O
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Small motel, just off main road. we booked the basic room and it was very tired, but clean. The new owners are gradually renovating the rooms, so i recommend you book a new room if you can. Friendly check in and they had Netflix in the room, never had this included before.
Blanding was a good place to stop on our trip and this motel was o.k. for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple