This is a very beautiful hotel with stunning design in an amazing setting. It's actually better looking than the brochures and websites suggest. And it does have a calm and relaxing atmosphere. Overall the staff were friendly and helpful (although not all seemed to be fully up to speed with the details).
However, this place is clearly pitched at the very high end and should seem perfect. But compared to other hotels in this (high) price category it has work to do:
- The menu is short and although the cooking is reasonable (outstanding compared to anything else locally, but that is a very low bar), it really doesnt vary much and was quite boring after only a few days. The minimalist breakfast buffet is frankly dull and very poor value. I suspect the kitchen works best if you are visiting for only a few days. It is expensive for what is being offered.
- Our double bed was actually two singles pushed together, which created an uncomfortable ridge down the middle.
- No tea or coffee in the room.
- We booked via Mr & Mrs Smith which promised a room uprade ("if available"). No upgrade was given, but we were offered 30 minutes in the flotation rooom - not quite a like-for-like substitute!
Overall is was lovely but overpriced, and didnt hit the "must return asap" button.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amangiri (peaceful mountain) is located on 600 acres in Canyon Point, Southern Utah. The resort is tucked into a protected valley with sweeping views towards the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Built around a central swimming pool with spectacular views, the resort blends into its dramatic surrounds of deep canyons and towering plateaus. Amangiri's Aman Spa features a floatation therapy pavilion, a water pavilion with sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool and step pool, a fitness centre and a yoga pavilion. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Amangiri Hotel Big Water
- Amangiri Utah/Big Water