“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bonnynook Inn

Bonnynook Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waxahachie
Bonnynook Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Waxahachie B&B and Inns
texas
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

First, let me say that I personally have not been here. My husband and I booked this as a special birthday gift for my mother-in-law for her 60th birthday during this year's Scarborough Faire. She was so happy and excited for her first time at a bed and breakfast. She and her husband arrived there Friday evening and were shown to their room. There were no other guests staying so it was just them and their hosts. The older gentleman (in his 70's) that greeted them was gracious and polite. The house and room itself was nicely decorated with antiques. The nightmare started the next morning when they came down for breakfast. Instead of the older gentleman, they were met by a middle-aged man (in his 50's). I believe he is the owner's son. He was unbelievably rude and unfriendly and acted as if his guests were an imposition instead of paying customers. They tried to make small talk with him but he just glared and ordered to "go sit down over there". My poor mother-in-law, who is so sweet and kind-hearted was so hurt by this man's appalling rudeness that she started silently crying. Not that it made any difference to him. He slapped their food down on the table and stomped off. And even though, their two night stay entitled them to two breakfasts, my in-laws left early the next morning, forgoing any food, just to avoid another encounter with that boorish brute. It is so upsetting that what should have been a wonderful birthday get-away was ruined by this insensitive clod! STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
9 Thank greendreamgirl1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Solo
Business
The Colony, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

I loved our stay at the Bonnynook Inn. The home is historic, and as such, is not in pristine shape, but it is clean and quiet. The host was friendly, attentive and helpful - always eager to answer any questions we might have. The claw foot tub was WONDERFUL. The bubble bath was a highlight for me.

The guestbooks in the rooms will lead you on a delightful 'treasure hunt' of sorts - hidden dollars and love letters. It's a wonderful way to discover all the books and nick nacks in the room. The room was comfortable and I slept like a baby on the down duvet. And the cookies in the room were scrumptious! There are extra pillows, and robes waiting for you in the closet.

The candlelight breakfast was absolutely lovely. Coffee with a hint of cinnamon, orange juice, warm pears with raisins and a cream sauce, coffee cake, and a wonderful soufflé. I got a picture of the table, but alas, not until we were sated and the formal place settings whisked away.

I felt totally relaxed and at home.

• Liked — The privacy.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lavender_Breeze
West Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

I really hate to write this, but I read these religiously when i plan a trip, so I felt I should.
Our first look at the Bonny Nook was the exterior. It is very grown up with vegetation, so the front of the home is very hard to see. It seemed like it had been landscaped at some point, but that is wasn't kept up. We rang the bell three times, and almost walked away, when we finally saw an elderly gentleman with a walker, slowly making his way to the door.
He looked a little confused and not sure of who we were. I introduced us and said we had a reservation. He asked us in and we chatted for awhile. He was a nice man, but very feeble. He told us his son would be the one who was in charge, but he was out.
We went to our rooms, and they were OK, but everything was kind of musty and junky. The house is very old , of course, but doesn't seem to have been cared for. We were the only ones in the house that night, except for the owners and his Dad.
The beds were confortable, but we felt very uncomfortable while we were there. We never saw anyone else that night.
The next morning at breakfast, we met the son. He was very unfriendly and he seemed uncomfortable. He barely said 2 words to us, and we didn't know what to do. The breakfast was very good.
I guess I wonder if they really even wanted us there. We were anxious to leave. I'm not sure this is the business for them. We never saw the lady, so maybe she is the redeeming factor !?!
We only chose this place because we could only stay one night, and the other B&B we knew about required a 2 night stay. Anyway, we were able to still have a good time, and laugh about our stay at the "Bates Motel"!! But I couldn't recommend this.

Stayed June 2008
5 Thank rabymom

Travellers are raving about these Waxahachie hotels

Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

I was NOT going to write a review after staying at Bonnynook; because I was trying my best to give the hosts the benefit of the doubt; thinking maybe something terribly wrong and unexpected had happened to them and that ours was just a totally unusual out-of-the-ordinary freak experience here. But after reading the first "review" written by another guest in April 2007 (4 or 5 months ago) I decided that ours must be the "normal" experience for this place and therefore, I find it almost "necessary" to write a review.

Our experience was almost identical to the first review written on here about this B&B. The host was so unfriendly that it beggars description; His wife (co-host) never showed her face while we were there. We could hear someone rattling dishes in the kitchen, which we assumed was her. Their very elderly father who made our phone reservation was very kind. (but we never met or saw him while there).

We booked here only because we could not find a motel vacancy at all and needed a room in the immediate area. It should have been a "clue" when we called on Friday morning of Labor Day weekend and they said they were not booked up for the weekend. In fact, I'm sure we were the only ones there on Friday night. And on Saturday night, I think there were some honeymooners there (a car with "just married" written on it was parked in the "parking lot"). I feel sorry for them!

At $180/ night (including tax); this was about the most wasted $360 we have ever spent on anything. We didn't even eat breakfast there our 2nd morning. It just wasn't worth having to go through the experience with the "host" again and the first day's breakfast was 3 little courses of the fastest things they could make (warmed pineapple from a can, microwaved eggs with cheese, and a little piece of ginger cake). (The coffee and orange juice was all right :-) All served in a stuffy old dark, eerily quiet dining room.

The inn imust be close to a train track because you can hear trains all night long, racing cars down nearby streets, and a dog next door (or somewhere close) barking during the night, fire house 2 doors down so you can imagine how loud the sirens were. If we had not brought a little fan to mask some noise, I don't think we could have slept at all.

Parking was almost non-existent (basically in a dark alley). Run-down looking neighborhood. A big roach laying on it's back and dying in the hallway outside our room.

Can I say anything good about the Bonnynook Inn?.... The 4 cookies they left in our room each night were tasty, the bed was comfortable, the shower was nice. Of course, these are definitely things that you would expect to find just about anywhere; so I won't give them extra credit for this.

Looking at their website now, I see that NO new nice "comments" have been left since 2001! I don't know what has happened since that time, but none of those nice comments even remotely resemble anything we experienced here. I agree with the first post that these hosts need to get out of this business. They most definitely appear to have lost their passion and based on our experience, don't even seem to be able to "fake" the passion anymore.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — the rude hosts
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank texastraveller55
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2007

We stayed at the Bonnynook , hoping for a relaxing get-away. We have stayed at many B&B's, all over the state of Texas, and never have we been treated as rudely as we were at our stay at the Bonnynook.

When we arrived, the host was not at all friendly, didn't even introduce himself, but acted frazzled and took us to our room. It didn't look like anyone had stayed in the room for quite some time. The house was freezing and we froze the entire time.

We had booked the room for 2 nights, and on the morning of check out, about 7 a.m., we heard the hosts discussing , rather loudly, how they needed us to check out because they had a life other than running that B&B !

Breakfasts were mediocre at best. I think these people need to get out of the B&B business. It seems like they have lost their passion for the business altogether.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank pooky7