“Best old fashion”

Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse
Ranked #30 of 105 Restaurants in The Colony
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Ask the bartender for their version of old fashion which has bitter milk bitters. It makes the drink. We came home and made it for everyone and is now a favorite. Food is delicious.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

A buddy and myself recently dined here for lunch. It’s a pretty cool set up with a nice sized patio area as well. The bar has plenty of local beers on tap and also has an extensive bourbon and Scotch collection. I tried the two meat plate with brisket and sausage. The brisket was OK, but a little dry. The sausage however, was fantastic. My buddy had the no bones about it sandwich, which had brisket, sausage, and smoked chicken. He gave me a little bit of it and I thought it was a great sandwich with plenty of meat on it. I would definitely go here again, but I would probably skip the brisket next time.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Barrel & Bones has been open for about two weeks. They are currently in their soft opening phase. The grand opening should be in about a week or two. I love the concept here. It brings three things I love in one place: whiskey, craft beer and smoked meats. I start with a five star rating with that line up.

The look they have created is five star. The brass bull out front is great. The patio has wicker chairs with their logo branded into the top of the tables. The garage door windows slide open to let the inside seating mix with patio seating in nice weather. The bar is great. They have shelf after shelf of whiskey bottles. In the center of the wall are about 25 rotating craft beer taps. The bar top is marble. Everything looks well done.

The whiskey menu is extensive. It's attached to a clip board under the food menu. They group the whiskeys by state or region. The craft beers are on a table tent triangle. It's a little disappointing they don't list the style. If you don't recognize the name of the beer, then you don't know if it's a pilsner, kolsch, porter, IPA or other style. When I brought this up to my server she was uninterested. I was not offered a taste, and there did not seem to be an interest to add labels because they will rotate in the future. Three of my favorites were on the list, so I was able to order and enjoy my drink.

The restaurant and bar are in the soft opening stage. That means they are working the kinks out of the system. They are training the employees. They are seeing what works and what does not. Usually, the kinks are small details where they did not think of x or y. I've attended other soft openings. Usually, the employees are the best trained they are ever going to be. The owner is hands on. All the procedures have just been drilled into them. They are excited as employees because it's new. Everything is new and fun. That's not the atmosphere at Barrel and Bones. No one has excitement. I asked at least a half dozen questions about the opening, the menu, the whiskeys and other topics. I made a recommendation on the craft beer names. All of it was met with flat uninterested employees. You'd think this place has been open for years and everyone is burned out.

I tried the two meat plate and really enjoyed the food. The two craft beers I ordered were awesome. They plan to rotate beers, so there will always be something to try. The whisky selection is great, and the place looks great. I am definitely intrigued. I will be back because I love what they have here. If the poor uncaring attitudes do not change, the next visit after grand opening will be my last.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 14 November 2017

I first tried this place for an after dinner drink. The bartender is extremely knowledgeable about their vast selection.
My second trip I came with a friend for dinner. The outdoor patio is clutch with a nice fire pit and large TV's. But the FOOD...is dynamite. They just opened and have a limited menu but it delicious. I had the beer can chicken and my friend had the brisket. You won't be disappointed. Highly recommend this spot for groups or couples.

Date of visit: November 2017