South padre island is great! This place is not. Worst customer service ever. Its 10 years too Old. It has a cold pool and cold hot tubs. Beds are hard, short(don't recommend for any Executive over 6ft tall), full size, not queen as advertised. Watered down, expensive drinks ($12 each) made with cheap ($8) value sized plastic bottle, vodka. Dont forget to tip. Millenial Maria at the front desk is rude and has no business working here. You have to walk about a football stadium distance to check in and out because golf cart guy never around. Have fun Dad and Gpa. 1 elevator working and the other is hot and slow as molasses. Place is outdated and beach behind property covered in litter. Last and most importantly, this place is a disaster waiting to happen. Place is a FIRETRAP !!! 4 hours into our lousy stay and cold pool experience, we decided to order Dpizza joint (best on island). Me and Mom left our 5 and 6 year old eating pizza while we stepped onto balcony to see ocean and catch a breath.The nightmare begins. Mom tries to go give kids another juicy and the balcony door is closed and locks us out into balcony 6 stories up. Just came from beach, so we are wet, sandy and no phone stranded on the balcony way back by parking lot ( best unit avail. According to the rude ignoramous that was there before Maria). First 5 to 10 minutes we tried to stay calm, cool and collective to not frighten the kids as they could see us struggling with hurricane glass /balcony sliding door (new units according to them 2016). We tried to call people nicely in English and spanish walking by for help but no one would listen. Next 10 minutes kids begin to panick, start crying, yelling, screaming while trapped in the room seeing Mom and Dad stuck on balcony. Mom is now crying, no one is around to help. Im now livid and watching my Kids in survival mode covering each other's mouths because they are both screaming so loud for help. Now we're going on over 30 minutes and now me and Mom are yelling for HELP and to call police!! Were trapped!! Our 5 and 6 year old are trapped inside!! Call someone!!! There is no staff, maintenance, golf cart guy, security around at 8pm at night. Finally staff Beto,shows up and starts banging and breaking down the door becuase the safety latch is on through inside further traumatizing my kids. He enters after breaking door frame enough to reach in. He then had to pull out a screw driver and after brief struggle, finally opens balcony door. We grab and console kids, now trembling , scared, hyperventilating and wanting to go home. Beto was only individual to ask if we were okay or if we needed an ambulance. We thank you. 10 minutes later I go down to talk to front desk and Maria tells me after everything we been through with a straight, serious face, "your drunk and im gonna call the cops." I told her she should of called the cops or fireman 30 minutes ago. We have been yelling for help. I told her to get off her Facebook and to do her job. She then calls the guy in charge of this racket and tells him in Spanish ( she thought i was anglo) that a drunk person was yelling at all the people in the pool and now he wants to checkout. I say loud and clear in Spanish exactly what happened and told them I'm going to call the fire inspector, local news and Tripadvisor to prevent this from happening to anyone else again and i want my money back. They didnt say sorry or ask if were okay. Instead, Maria looked annoyed. They refuse to give REFUND and just offered a room on same floor closer to beach( earlier they lied to me and said i had best one available). In short, if you care about your kids, grandkids, seniors, family, friends, Snow birds, pets etc you'll advise them to stay far away. What if one of mine or your kids had asthma, medical condition , or a baby napping on bed??? I have been visiting SPI for over 30 years and never had a balcony door lock me out. Wasnt human error. To add insult to injury. I had to go back downstairs a 2nd time to get maintenance man to come back up to open balcony door again because my shoes and other belongings were there. Of course I checked my family out ASAP and got refunded 2nd night only. Paid for 2 nights at $140 a night 2 weeks ago. Only stayed here because our original vacation got cancelled at the Hilton Garden(best place) due to Hurricane Harvy 2 weeks prior. Wish I would have paid attention to all the negative reviews. Only reason I didn't was because I considered buying a timeshare/club membership 10 years ago when they opened and it looked alright. Thank God I Didn't buy anything with these people. This Place gets an F and now I'll will be scheduling an appointment with a Licensed Professional Counselor who can help treat my kid's symptoms of PTSD and Separation Anxiety Disorder....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled among the sea oats and sand dunes, and highlighted by the blue of the Gulf of Mexico, The Peninsula Island Resort and Spa South Padre Island, Texas is the perfect venue for a relaxing island escape. Located directly on the beach in the heart of South Padre Island's "hotel row", our upscale property opened in 2006, and combines the highest standards in construction with contemporary, tasteful design. The units are all well-appointed, and range in size from our very popular studio kitchenette units to our 3 bedroom/3 bath condominiums. With concrete walls, porcelain tile flooring, and leather furniture, our resort was designed to resist to mold, humidity and allergens all-too-often common near the sea. Our swimming pool is the largest infinity pool in South Texas, and features a convenient swim up bar. Each offers either a full kitchen or kitchenette, and everything else necessary to cook and serve a gourmet meal. If cooking is not your thing, Las Olas Restaurant Grill and Bar, located onsite, is considered by many to be one of the best restaurants on South Padre Island, and offers a variety of delicious homemade dishes available for in-room dining. All-in-all, the Peninsula is in a league of its own--offering the spacious luxury of a condominium, coupled with the service and appointments of an upper-tier resort hotel.In July 2016, we added 27 deluxe rooms, each room has high speed internet, two full size beds, sofabed, 42" TV with cable, and a minibar fridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Peninsula Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peninsula Island Hotel South Padre Island
- Peninsula Island Resort And Spa
- Peninsula South Padre Island
- South Padre Island Peninsula