“Memorial Day Weekend Getaway”

Peninsula Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 29 May 2017

My husband and I came down for Memorial Day weekend. I was afraid it would be very crowded, noisy and rushed. It was not. We were both very pleased with our stay. Everyone was extremely helpful and very nice, the room was clean and very well insulated. Saturday night people were partying at the pool but we didn't hear them. I really loved sitting out side on our balcony and enjoying the view. Everything is kept very clean and there is plenty of room to play in the pool or on the beach. The onsite restaurant is wonderful. We ate both breakfast and dinner there both nights. Staff was so nice. It was nice and quiet inside and we were able to have a conversation without raising our voices which has become the norm for so many restaurants.

Room Tip: The upper floors are best, less pool noise.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
WesleyAbbott, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Thankyou for your review, Hope to see you soon at our resort.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I stayed here Easter weekend, which I know everything was pricy for the holiday, but this place is not what it seems. When I made my reservation I said, 6 adults 4 kids they recommend me the double "queens" and pull out sofa.
The day of arrival I check in and they let me know that "only 4 adults can stay in my room the other 2 would need to pay $25 each to have a wrist band." I pleasantly over looked that, and was like okay I'll have them stay elsewhere. (luckily not all my guests showed)
Get to room, the door entry was broken and if you would push hard enough it would open without the key.
The room didn't have queen beds, they where 2 Full beds and the pullout was a twin.
Went down to pool area someone took my towels, went to the lobby to get new ones & staff stated," I needed to return my old ones if not I would be charged $30 each towel " they reluctantly gave me towels.
One towel was dirty with make up, I suppose.
Misplaced my key $5 for a new one. I was so worried I was going to be charged for everything. I washed my own dishes and threw out my own trash.
I was just ready to have it over with and happy with time I spent with my friends and family.
When I check my bank statement and BAM! I had a $15 charged for a hand towel that was "heavily soiled", I used to wipe down the counter top and table.
Their Bellhop carts are made out of cheap PVC pipe. They aren't even sturdy.
I called to try to resolve my issues with the main manger ,who left me on the phone for 1 hour and 18 minutes, never resolved my problems.
Staff is not attentive and really not helpful. The only thing that helped me get through this trip was their AWESOME bartenders ( so friendly) and the way they made their drinks!!! The $250 one night stay I would have much rather bought a tent and slept on the beach!
I SAY , SAVE YOUR MONEY,LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Stayed: April 2017
3  Thank Jacklyn N

Sorry to hear that your stay wasn't at your satisfaction. Thankyou for your comments, we are using them to improve our service.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

If your only condition for booking is a place on the beach with a good swimming pool, Peninsula Island is for you. However, if you are looking for a place with clean, comfortable, well maintained rooms, RUN AWAY! This place has seen one too many spring breakers, which may explain why the mattresses were wrapped in plastic!!! Sleeping on plastic is not comfortable and the bedding was stained. Between the bedding, the beeping stove, and the late night parties, a good night's sleep is nearly impossible. (Their solution to the beeping stove was to disconnect the breaker.) The appliances were rusted and the bathroom door had to be a holdover from the 1970's.

Room Tip: Forget it - go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Gary B

Sorry to hear that your stay wasn't at your satisfaction. We are working to improve things around here. Thankyou for your comments, it really helps to have feedback from our guest.

Have a great day :)

Reviewed 9 April 2017

this has become our winter home and we will be going back in 2018, for year eight. I think this speaks for how we feel. great place, great owners, great staff and great friends. they are always making improvements and we cannot wait to see what new things will be added next winter.

Room Tip: any room is within the best beach access on the island
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Arlan H
WesleyAbbott, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Thankyou Mr Hanson, for your post.

We will be waiting for you next winter.

Enjoy it :)

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

I really think it's a 1 1/2 star, but they don't have it.
For the price we paid I would have expected a LOT more. Our door to our place needed to be slammed shut to close it. We had an incredible view of the roof of the restaurant/bar. The place has a smell to it (and it's not from the sea air). We only got to get 4 towels replaced (we paid for 6 people to stay). There are MANY areas that needs maintenance (broken lights, patio furniture, bathroom door warped, cheap furniture in place, etc.). I would have expected to pay 1/3 the price for the condition and decor from this place. The only way I would come back is if it was a screaming good deal. Oh, well the beach was near and fun. Pool was nice to go to the warm area.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan R
WesleyAbbott, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

Sorry to hear that you were not satisfy with your stay. We do thank you for your review, these help us to work on the main issues that you were concerned about.

We do hope you give us another opportunity to come and see our improvements.

Have a great day, see you soon.