“Small town eats”

Mesquite Canyon Steakhouse
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Shamrock
Reviewed 29 May 2021 via mobile

On the advice of the lady at the historic Conoco Station, we stopped for lunch. I had the onion burger with rings and my husband had the club sandwich. Pretty good. Fries were our least favorite. Seemed like the local lunch spot.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Cathy W
Write a reviewReviews (109)

Reviewed 23 May 2021

First of all, for a steakhouse, I'd expect more cuts of meat to be available. Sirloin or rib eye. That's it. You can choose one of three sizes of sirloin, and something called "ends" or "scraps" or something. They did have an extensive alternate menu though.

I ordered the 6 oz sirloin, cooked medium to medium-rare. I ordered a baked potato and a salad. And tea.

I got my salad up front, and then my steak came. It had green beans on it. Hmmm. Instead of taking it back, she just brought me a baked potato. I think this was a mistake because my steak was medium well. Hardly pink at all. It did have a nice flavor, and because she brought me a small container of au jus, it helped cover up the dry of a medium well steak. So I ate it.

But I was disappointed in my steak because it wasn't cooked to my specifications. I think perhaps the server mis-heard my order. Two others at my table got their steaks cooked to perfection and they loved them.

So the sides. My salad was fine after I cut it up -- giant pieces of lettuce. But those green beans were definitely canned with some bacon thrown in. Not good.

If I lived in this area I might give them another chance and avoid the green beans. But I don't, so this will be my lasting impression. Partly my fault because I didn't send my steak back, but I didn't want to be eating when the rest of my party was long finished.

Finally -- the price was extraordinarily reasonable. My dinner was $16.

Date of visit: May 2021
2  Thank WednesdayNightGirl
Reviewed 4 April 2021

When we pulled into Shamrock overnight, we were bracing ourselves for a night of fast food take out. Our hotel recommended this place, which had been listed as "closed" on another website. The food was great and the prices were reasonable! My husband had the ribeye and found it delicious; I had a pork tenderloin sandwich, which was yummy! Our server was busy but always gracious, and appreciated us telling her that the restaurant was still listed as "closed" on a certain other website. When we pass through Shamrock again, we will stop here!

Date of visit: March 2021
1  Thank DonnaR57
Reviewed 7 March 2021

The food here was amazing worth the stop! As well as amazing people and service! With a minimum wait.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 6 December 2020 via mobile

The listing says it is closed but it is open. Just had a fantastic sirloin and chicken fried steak. The baked potatoes were perfect, I even ate the skin. Service was so friendly and fast. This is my new go to place when I visit my family in Texas.

Date of visit: December 2020