“Don't judge a book by its cover.....”
Review of Bar-B-Q Barn

Bar-B-Q Barn
Ranked #25 of 242 Restaurants in Odessa
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 9
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Great BBQ at an affordable price. Very tender, smoked meats and friendly service make the BBQ Barn a great choice for lunch, dinner or catering for small or large groups.
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Try the brisket.. you won't be disappointed. Has a nice smoke ring and mesquite flavor. Don't forget to try the "armadillo eggs" and banana pudding!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Wow. Really well done plate, brisket ribs and a sausage taster, smokey beans, crispy dill chips, slaw, aye!
The strong mesquite flavor was superb in both meats, great smoke ring love it! Their sauce was excellent, well balanced on both meats. Sausages both solid, could not choose a winner. Beans and slaw good. Service was great. This is small no nonsense BBQ restaurant. They do a nice take out business based on watching from inside during lunch hour.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

This is my first trip to Texas in a couple of years and was really looking forward to great BBQ.

I'm a BBQ enthusiast, a KCBS Certified Judge -- I say that to tell you I do know my BBQ. With that said, I would add that BBQ is preference as far as taste. What is universal is whether the meat is cooked correctly -- over or under cook. Judge, my reviewed based on that not my review of the taste.

I read a bunch of reviews on local BBQ restaurants so I could try, what Odessa, thought was the best BBQ. Let me state, there weren't a lot of reviews to get a great feel. Finally, I went the one that mentioned the two things I wanted to try -- brisket and sausage. People like me spend way too much time studying BBQ and its history. Texas has a history of German immigrants and those immigrates made some of the best sausage around. It's been suggested, but not proven, they started smoking brisket. Now, that that history lesson is out of the way - let's go.

I chose this restaurant based a common thread, several reviewers stated how great the brisket and sausage was and that's how I ended up here.

I arrived shortly after 5pm and there was one customer but only a few tables. This is more of a take-out restaurant vs a sit down place. I walked in and try to engage the guy behind the counter and he wasn't very engaging, not rude but not in the mood to talk. He promptly took my order and I paid. I arrived at the hotel with a 1/2 lb. of moist (or point) brisket, a 1/2 lb. of sausage and a couple of "armadillo eggs" (jalapeños stuff with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon)

The downside- my expectations were high, probably a little too high.

Let's start with the Armadillo eggs -- these weren't bad. I liked the stuffing -- honestly anything with cream cheese can taste great lol. Overall, I wasn't overly impressed. I was hoping for a little more.

Sausage -- I'm always looking for great sausage. I liked this but I guess I was looking for more. On the positive side, I like the finer ground sausage like this. I'm in Texas, which known for its German Sausage but this didn't wow me if you will. I will say it was better than a lot but not close to being the best or the top echelon.

Brisket -- Texas is known for its Brisket. I couldn't wait to try some mesquite smoked brisket. Now comes the bad news. The brisket was overcooked therefore hard to eat. I was so disappointed. The taste was ok but I didn't finish it. Yes, I was like a kid at Christmas who didn't get what they wanted.

Overall I was disappointed with my trip. I would suggest that you try this before forming an opinion.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

We arrived close to closing time after reading about their excellent brisket. Alas they had run out. We settled for ribs which were delicious as was their mac & cheese. Banana pudding from a drive thru BBQ place definitely exceeded my expectations. Man at the window was very apologetic about them running out of brisket & told us if we ever made it back he'd treat us to an armadillo egg.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

We took Trip Advisor's advice and went a little further from our hotel to get to the BBQ Barn. It had an unassuming appearance but we had one of our best BBQ dinners. Most of their business is take-out or delivery, but there are a few tables to eat in. One of us had brisket and the other had ribs. The meat was so tender and juicy without the overwhelming flavour of smoke you get with some. The sauce you could add was light and a great combination of spicy and sweet without being thick and heavy. The owner was pleasant and chatty. Definitely one we'd recommend and go back to.

Been to Bar-B-Q Barn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK