“Oldest bakery in TX!”

Naegelin's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in New Braunfels
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The fresh cookies, pastries, pies and cakes from Naegelin's Bakery are of historic proportions and timeless quality. It's all in the preparation. The Granzin family still uses recipes developed by the Naegelin family during more than a century of experimentation to get the right ingredients. As you walk into the front door of the bakery, the sweet smell of baked foods engulfs you like a warm blanket. The glass cases are full of what seems like an almost endless array of cookies and pastries in a rainbow of colors. The bakery is still famous for their strudels that Naegelin perfected years ago. The Granzin's have added terrific sausage kolaches in addition to the menu of fruit filled kolaches. We suggest you try the popular favorite: the Lebkuche, a thick, rectangular brown cookie covered with pink frosting. Don't forget to try our apple strudel! We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 28 February 2012

How could you go wrong with the oldest bakery in the state? Everything they make, from breads to cookies to their famous struedel will leave you wanting to come back for more. So good I ship it to friends out of state!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The staff here doesn't seem to care about the customers. This is a very historic place for New Braunfels, and they know it. I have not been treated very well here. To me the baked goods are just OK.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I've known this bakery all my life. When I was a kid my mom and dad would come here and bring out boxes and boxes of cookies. The chocolate thumbprints, the sand tarts and the gingerbread were all favorites.

When I moved close by, I was gung ho to try out my old favorite bakery. Well...oh, dear...things just aren't the same anymore. I don't know if the Committee to Assure Food Safety Even At the Sacrifice of Flavor came down on Naeglin's, or if flavor was sacrificed to quantity, but it seems things just don't taste as good as they used to. And that's just sad, because there are so few "real" bakeries out there.

Don't get me wrong...the bakery is worth a visit, for certain. And there are still some bright spots. The slabs of gingerbread and sand tarts are still my favorites, but the chocolate thumbprints...meh. There are occasionally fruit-based pull-apart rolls that can be quite good, and their fried pies are still excellent, if you can get there before they sell out.

But overall, I find myself yearning for the good old days when I go to Naeglin's now, and count myself lucky that I know how to bake.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Not only does my entire family remember coming here their entire life, this is a true bakery that doesn't really exist in the modern marketplace anymore. The staff is friendly. There is a huge selection of baked goods. Clearance items are a great value!

2  Thank awalsh1126
Reviewed 13 February 2012

WE LOVE Naegelin's. The Studels are the best I have ever had, and I travel extensivly to Germany and Europe. The Cookies are wonderful and the pasteries and great. The last time we were here was 9 years ago and we loved Naeglins then. If you are in the area you've got to go!!