“Initially Concerned, Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of The Oyster Bar

The Oyster Bar
Ranked #42 of 299 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: At The Oyster Bar, we have revitalized ourselves into a full-service, sit-down bar and grill that offers exceptional service, a casual and relaxed environment, scratch-made fare, and hand-crafted drinks. Additionally, our bar and grill offers a night time full with live music, happy hour specials, pool tables, darts, trivia, and much more for those spending a night on the town. When you’re looking for fun and excitement as well as the best seafood and drink you can find, you need to visit The Oyster Bar.
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

This is "Big" Henry, back again with another Review and 100% Authentic & Honest take on our meal:

The Oyster Bar

203 S Seguin Ave, New Braunfels, TX 78130
(830) 627-7766

At the last minute, as usu, we stopped at this spot. At first glance, I thought we had to get a Tetanus Shot.

I thought there would be someone thrown through the front window by a couple of big bouncers.

Yup, it is a bar.... And a grill. It was loud. There were some older ladies playing pool and they were so loud, we couldn't hear each other talk.

Geez oh Pete's... SHHHHUUTTT-UUUUPPP ALREADY!!!!

LOL!

Our youngest daughter said, "This is a One & Done and I haven't even got my food yet!"

Needless to say, we sat in the area designated for dine in. I suddenly didn't have high hope's, however the waitress who looked like an older Shirley Temple placed us at ease with her smile and personality.

"Big" Henry's Rating System: As you already recognize, I apply a rating system in (#) from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).

Now onto the food:

Texas Sized Chicken Wings (9.5): Served with celery and your choice of Ranch, Jalapeno Ranch or Bleu Cheese Mild Buffalo (we chose), Hot Buffalo, Honey BBQ, Garlic Parmesan, Sweet Chili or Mango Habanero.

These were big, juicy, tender, and tastey!!!! Wow. These are worth coming back to alone.

Shrimp Scampi (7): 5 large shrimp broiled with a lemon - herb compound butter. Served with toasted French Bread (6).

These were good, but slightly over cooked. Not by much, but they were not fishy smelling. Fresh and tasty.

Blackened Chicken Sandwich
(8): Seasoned grilled chicken breast on a toasted jalapeno cheese bun with guacamole, peppered bacon, Swiss cheese and mayonnaise Served with seasoned fries.

The bun was very soft, the chicken was very tender, and it was just right.

Fried Shrimp Basket (8): 4 large shrimp breaded in - house and served with seasonal fries (8), ginger slaw (7) and cocktail or tartar sauce.

This would be a higher rating, however, they should have included at least 8 shrimp.

Sam's Boat offers each Fried Shrimp at $.95. So this plate was overpriced in my opinion.

Small House Salad (9): Freshly baked croutons, hard - boiled egg, bacon, Roma tomato and Parmesan cheese On a bed of mixed Romaine and iceberg lettuces. Served with your choice of dressing All of our dressings are made in - house: Ranch (we chose), Jalapeno Ranch (we chose), Bleu Cheese, Balsamic Vinaigrette and Honey Mustard

This salad was worth every penny. It was bigger than expected and fresh.

Sodas (7): were about par. Rootbeer tasted better than Coke. IMO.

I wish they had Burgers and Onion Rings. I also wish they had a sample basket for appetizers and seafood.

The restroom for each gender was a single private room and clean. Not like typical bars with a Piss Troff and spillage on the floors. Nope, it was much better.

Overall, We were very surprised. This would he a good pitstop before 7PM, preferably before 4PM... As it was much better than expected.

Surprised,
"Big" Henry
#BigHenrysReviews

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Consistently served the BEST soups ever! When I think I've found a favorite, I'm delighted with yet another delicious creation! The owners and wait staff are super friendly and obliging. I hesitate writing these rave reviews because it's the 'best kept secret in town' - at lunchtime, at least. Shhh!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Went there with family for lunch. Began with raw oysters, which were fresh in both appearance and taste. I then had the fried oyster basket. I've had fried oysters in many places, and I'd say these seemed at the time to be the best I'd had. I think it was both the oysters and the breading, which was not the usual pasty breading but more of a corm mean coating, which I found far more appropriate to oysters. Service was good. They were not busy. I'll go back.

1  Thank 5thGenTexan
Reviewed 19 March 2018

They Oyster Bar offers wonderful food! We love the meatballs and they have great french fries. Our friends enjoy the oysters and shrimp po boy sandwich.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I came here over Werst Festival. This is a very friendly place with good drinks and good food. It was full of locals. The bartendress was friendly and hospitable