“River Trash at its finest”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Billy Goat's Gruff - Tube Rental
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

After reading the reviews I'm surprised people still visit this place. I was being gracious to give it 1 star. The owners/staff are completely rude and trashy. If you've had the pleasure of never meeting them just read their responses to these reviews and that will give you a bit of in site. We have a family of 6, 4 young children, and we love to come camp and float the river through out the summer. The woman owner was being completely hateful to our kids. She better be glad they had waited until we had left to head home before they repeated what was said or she would have had a major problem. It began raining and thundering and a large group of people decided to escape the storm at their riverside bar/grill. They had no service to try and call their camp ground to come pick them up and when the group asked them to make the call they refused to help in any way. A guy that was washing off the tubes at the tube rental was nice enough to offer them a ride back to their camp but the owners wouldn't allow it and told them they weren't a shuttle service. The sites are very poorly maintained. There are too many other places to camp that have owners that care about the property and their campers!!

2  Thank 6breckels
goattx, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff - Tube Rental, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2016

Really!! Eight whole reviews!! Out of thousands that stay here. Yes people still do visit this place. First of all you did not stay here, you did not rent tubes from us, you did not purchase anything from us, so what gives you the right to review our business? I personally am calling trip advisor and putting you on a blacklist! BTW its "insight" learn how to spell/write! Your kids stole a pencil from my grandson who was crying and my wife asked them to give it back. Perhaps you should question your thieves on their bullying. And "she would have a major problem", that is a personal threat on my family and I take it personal so come on back and deal with me. Now with all that said we have a business to run, this is not a river egress, and we did everthing possible to get them back to their camp and yes we finally got them a ride. Yes it took awhile because of the lack of phone service that was available that day as well as looking up phone numbers once we finally trouble shooted our wifi. And that is correct "we are not a shuttle service". Since you spend soooo much time here on the river, you must know how the outfitters work eh? Yes let me pay and have my staff shuttle everybody who wants to get out of the river to where ever they want for free, using my gas, my vehicles, etc. Our sites are poorly maintained, hmmmm well we have been through three or more floods recently, which has wrecked havoc on a lot of camps around here, but I personally maintain our camp and our riverfront is a riverfront and the rest of the camp looks like a golf course!! Enough said.

Reviewed 8 August 2015 via mobile

As guests if the camp, we used their tubing service the first day.
They charged us 20 per tube, and 18 per cooler tube.
They said we could do the 3 hours float. They shuttled us 4 min down the road. Dropped us and said, we would see them in 1.5 hours. Why? Newscaster their 3 hour float is you do the 90 minutes twice. ....? !!?!? We decided to make the best of it and just go with it. When we got back they told us we could not go back for the second half, because we had been walking through the water instead of floating. They said we delayed the float time, so they refused to take us back for the second half of the ride we payed for. They also refused to provide a refund. And when one of our girls argued with him, he kicked her out of camp.
Second day we tubed with Koozies across the street. They were easy nice, very professional and we got everything we payed for!! And their prices were half of what Billy Goat's were! !!!!

1  Thank Yvonne M
goattx, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff - Tube Rental, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2016

Our three hour float is a float not a PULL as what your men did as witnessed by all of our employees. The river changes sometimes on a daily basis and we strive to give our guests the best possible float. We will not endanger our guest as we will not have inebriated guests floating the river at night.
Your friend did not get kicked out but should have, a mistake on my part as your group made a complete mess of our unit as well as killed our plants in the flower box, and let trash every where.
In regards to pricing in general outfitters are similar up and down the river, with some offering different services, such as being able to float back to camp and not waiting on shuttles and/or having tubes with neck rests and can holder. btw prices are not half!

Reviewed 4 June 2015 via mobile

Worst experience ever! We were packing up to leave and the people who run the place came out cussing and screaming and pulled a shotgun on us. Then proceeded to fire thus shot gun. And threatened to stick it up my butt and shoot again... This was not the first time this has happened nor their first weapons offence!!! They slashed our personal tubes that we used to float at a different location that were on our trailer... They would not come out of the house when the police got there and they had a "police standoff" for over an hour before they would even open the door!! I have it all on video if anyone would like to see it!!

3  Thank thewiltfamily
goattx, Owner at Billy Goat's Gruff - Tube Rental, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

First of all check out is at 11 am - not 11.36. The gates close at 11 am to clean up the campsites, garbage, and maintenance . I kindly asked you to leave but you would not!
Five of you came to my personal residence, ignored the sign, and started pounding on my door screaming obscenities, and you tried to break into my house. Nobody shot at you, and the threat is juvenile. Sorry there are no weapons offence here. We also told you over the phone not to bring a trailer or personal tubes, so what did you do, "bring a trailer, a golf cart, and personal tubes, that we never touched. There was no "police stand off" as I was alone by myself in a safe room, fearing for my life.
For over 12 years we have never seen such disrespect, rudeness, and so called entitlement.
Beware river road campsites and outfitters of thewiltfamily of Corpus Christi

Reviewed 2 September 2014

For the 2nd year, our group from San Antonio enjoyed a camping weekend with a great group of friends from Houston. Go Texans! The campsite is very well maintained and the owners, as always, were courteous and good people! The owners work very hard to keep things under control for the safety of their camping guests. Floating the river is so convenient, because the campsite provides a shuttle and you float back to the campsite. We will definitely return in 2015!
Best Regards to the Owners from the Coronado clan (9/2/14)

Thanks we try to our best. We miss you this year "2015", the river is running better than ever this year!!!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A last minute decision to go tubing and camping brought us to Billy Goat's Gruff on the 4th of July weekend. A lot of other places I called were overpriced or the campsites were no where next to the river. Billy Goat's Gruff is a small and private property. It is very nicely shaded and clean. I found it to be quaint and cozy. There was always an employee taking out the trash and picking up here and there. The showers and bathrooms were kept clean at all times. The owners were pleasant and had a great sense of humor. They even joined us one evening for a game of Charades! (I still can't believe no one could guess "Camera Man" ! ). Not once did they ever bother us. To the contrary of negative reviews, our group from San Antonio had a Big Time Blast!! We even made new friends (who camped next to us) from Houston and Amarillo. Tubing was very convenient there. You don't have to drive anywhere. Tube rentals anywhere on the Guadalupe will cost you a pretty penny; so do Not be shocked. Billy Goat's Gruff provides a shuttle and they conveniently drop you off at a designated spot and then you enjoy floating back to the campsite. Our tubing experience was awesome. We definitely want to return to Billy Goat's Gruff and we will ! Best Regards to the Owners from the Coronado clan

3  Thank CameraManCoronado