“DON'T STAY AT RIO RAFT IN NEW BAUNFELS”
Review of Bezdeks Rentals

Bezdeks Rentals
More attraction details
Owner description: Texas river that is popular with inner tubers, rafters and canoeists.
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Do yourself a favor. Do not stay at Rio Raft. We were harrassed from the minute we arrived by "Ranger Bob" aka security. We were in a camper..we pulled out the awning and hung our low wattage lights that we purchased at Camper World. Well we didn't not know that was not aloud. We left the camp site and when we arrived "Ranger Bob" had cowardly unplugged our lights. We were conversating with company, not playing any music, not being lound, no one was drinking; cops were called out. Security called them. When the cops arrived both times the cops said they seen no problem they only came out because they had to respond to the call. Rio Raft also charged our friends at another site $50 for bringing equipment back late, when they told us that it would be a 4 hour ride and turned into a 7 hour ride. We had to get out early and pay to have another company bring us back to Rio Raft. If you like to be ripped off, be harrassed, and walk on egg shells on your vacation this is the place for you. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

12  Thank resendez88
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We love to float and try to get down to the Guadalupe at least once a summer. I recommend it for those young and young-at-heart. If you want to experience some of the rapids, I believe going up-river from Gruene is where it's at. A more calm ride would be going down-river from Gruene.
If you choose up-river, please be aware you more than likely will tip out going over a rapid...at least at this time of the season. I saw many people hurting from their spills... I'm sure drinking to excess doesn't help your tube control either...
We usually rent from the Rockin R location at the bridge in Gruene. Not so sure we will again during the peak summer times...it was chaos. We had to wait at least 2 hours to finally board a bus to get up-river. Lots of large college-aged groups which looks fun and I suppose if you are in that kind of group, waiting like that might be fun. But if you aren't, maybe rent tubes elsewhere....Rockin R looked under-staffed big time and their process seems to be too slow.

3  Thank llove2travel78
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Don't go on the 5 hours float that includes the 5 rapids unless you like to get injured, possibly drown. They do NOT explain the hazards of the river. Don't go if you are a weak swimmer or can't swim for sure. I'm a competitive swimmer (NCAA Division 1) and I was terrified. Flipped twice before having to quit because I lost my tube saving another toober. Twisted ankle that I can barely walk on. Cuts and bruises galore. I consider myself lucky that i didn't have my head smashed against a rock and drown. EVERY single person who does the trip should have a helmet and life jacket. It doesn't matter how well you swim, if you get knocked unconscious you won't make it. And good gracious, getting drunk while doing this trip is just plain stupid.

I heard the 3 hour trip with the tube shoot is safe, no rapids. Otherwise do not go on the long float and NEVER take your child.

I sat at the end at Bubba's watching the last rapid and watch two women nearly drown and no I'm not exaggerating, everyone at the bar was screaming to save them. At least 40% of tubers flipped over during the last rapid. Even heard a woman lost her finger that day having it ripped off by a rope that had a cooler tube tied to hers and she accidentally had her finger wrapped in it when she fell off in a rapid.

Every single person in our party of 30 came back injured. Thankfully no one seriously. One had his head smashed on a rock, he is extremely lucky.

This is just negligent. Yep, I signed the waiver that I didn't read like an idiot but I still believe the rafting companies are insanely negligent by not telling you what you are in for. We were told by another company driver that we hitched a ride back with that the river was too low causing the rapids to be fast and shallow and therefore more dangerous. Plus the river was jam packed with other tubers and rapids were so full tubers were toppled off their tubes from being run into by other tubers.

If you still want to go, great, but please take safety precautions and wear and helmet and life jacket!

11  Thank AJB75022
Reviewed 17 June 2010

very nice when we arrived...we asked for the longest rafting trip we could make that day they said if we would have arrived earlier we could have done the 6 hour (put -in at Little Ponderosa) but since it was after 3 o'clock didnt have enough time. Once we got all set-up to go and the shuttle dropped us off (at the Little Ponderosa) at around 4 o'clock and told us we were gonna have to really hustle to make it back by 7 o'clock we were confused how we were gonna make a 6 hour float in 3 hours but we gave it a valiant effort. Unfortunately we didn't and when we arrived at 8:30 the owners we furious and without explanation cursed at us really disrespecting us. We tried to explain that we were dropped off without life jackets which is law to have one for each person, that took us awhile to locate before we could disembark and we only stopped a couple of times.
Will Never Rent from BEZDEK'S again and we frequent the Guadalupe river every year sometimes twice a year.

10  Thank jcb32971
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Our experience seemed normal until we realised that we were given incorrect directions as to our designated pick-up spot. Later, we discovered that the correct pick-up was not even marked, therefore making it easy to miss.
Lastly, the company forced us into paying an additional $20.00 fee because we "missed the pick-up spot and another pick-up trip was needed". Furthermore, our items trusted in their possesion would not have been relinquished to us unless we payed the additional fee (i.e. HIDDEN FEES)!

3  Thank hatch1