“well worth a visit”

Mediterranean Palace Hotel
wednesbury
“well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

stayed here a few times and all i can say is wow wow, lovely hotel friendly staff excellent amenities and location have been upgraded because of over booking problem (not my fault) lol would highly reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: pool view superb
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Right, let me start by saying that the hotel is a lovely building with an excellent pool area and good pool entertainment. Nice location with plenty of nice restaurants and bars close by. The room was clean and the mountain view room was ok. Room size is quite small in my opinion and had two single beds rather than the double I requested. As far as drinks and food it's rather pricey especially as my grilled chicken sandwich came free with metal pot scourer wires inside it for 7euro and my hotdog was a colddog for 4euros. Local beer they serve is ok. They advertise a policy where sunbirds can't be reserved by the pool, this is an untruth as they were reserved every morning whilst people were eating breakfast. The pool aerobics and free scuba diving lessons are fun and a good thing. Right let me get on to what really bothered me, the reception staff weren't very good at all to be honest. Plus everyone around us was greeted with a champagne reception (except me and my gf) probably because we're not OAPs like everybody else in the hotel. Felt the staff didn't take me seriously due to my young age. Also on 3 separate occasions I had cleaners let themselves into my room, once whilst naked in the shower and my girlfriend was in bed. Again when we left a do not disturb sign on the door handle we came back and they had been in the room. My girlfriend had left her iPhone and tiffany jewellery on the side on this occasion, and in the hotels words 'we do not accept responsibility for any items not locked in the safe' don't go into my room then when asked not to!!! And the 3rd occasion was on our last day when we were supposed to be checking out and we are both in bed with nasty hangovers and the cleaner raps briskly on the door at 8.40am walking into our bedroom. I won't repeat what was said to her. My other major problem was the noise. Cab drivers shouting outside at 8am, paper thin walls and doors. Air con noisy. No extractor fan in bathroom wasn't always pleasant. Food was mediocre but not great. And the entertainment is ok for OAPs not much of a young couples holiday really. Doubt I'll go back again...

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank James86mills
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Make sure you aren't in a room overlooking the the roundabout as the traffic noise starts very early in the morning. Charging for the use of the fridge in the room, I wasn't impressed with. I didn't find the staff particularly friendly, more business-like. The food certainly was a long was from 5* though adequate. The Mediterranean Palace was maybe worth half the €1000 we paid and in my opinion a 2* to 3* hotel

Room Tip: Not overlooking the roundabout
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Noel A H
Teesside
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel is in a superb location, however on arriving at the room with our very big two year old son, we found a cot in the corner of our very small hotel room. we booked this hotel for two adults and a child not a baby. We asked for a bed to be put in the room, and a camp bed was brought in and squeezed into the room, after this there was no floor space. It was a Saturday night when we arrived, and this was the worst night sleep we have ever had, music was blaring until after midnight, motorbikes speeding up and down the road, we could hear every single noise, as if there wasnt any glass in the balcony doors. I enquired about the size of the room, and we were told we could upgarde to a suite for £260 for 6 nights. We decided to pay this, as our very active 2 year old son would have more room and less likely to bang his head on the shelves and drawers etc.

The decor in the hotel is very outdated, and expected more from our upgarded room- this is by no means a 5 star hotel, I have stayed in better 3 stars, yet there was nothing else to offer from our upgraded room except extra floor space. after our second night in our second room, our son woke up with a red rash on his face and arms, and was very itchy, we thought it could be a number of things, but he hadnt been in the sun much, we thought it could be the detergent they wash the sheets in. This rash got progressively worse as the week went on, yet he seemed fine in himself, so did not visit a doctor and we bought some calamine lotion (for 11 euros!) from the nearest pharmacy. On our 5th night at the hotel we returned to our room to find a swarm of insects crawling over the black tv stand, at first we thought they might be ants but on closer inspeaction they looked like some sort of lice. The tv stand was next to our sons bed. Upon closer inspection the insects were on the floor next to the stand and on the arm of the sofa bed. My wife and I complained at reception and a cleaner came to spray insect spray in the room, and our son slept in our bed. We felt sick that these creatures could have caused his rash. the next morning we went to reception to speak to the customer relations manager who we had spoke to the day before, when we asked them to change the sheets in the room because of our sons rash. She tried to palm his rash off as a childhood illness, but our son wasnt ill, he was just scratching his skin a lot and had been kept out of the son, after an hour of complaining, the only compensation she could give us was an upgrade and 60 euros refund of our £260 we had already paid to upgrade.

My wife wanted to go home, eventually I thought we would stay in the 3rd room for the remaining two nights and try and make the best of things. We returned to the room that evening to find the bedside table swarming with the same insects that were in the last room. I've got photographs and videos of the insects if anyone wants to see them in the future. I was told its a sub tropical climate but I have stayed in hotels all around the world and never seen that amount of insects in a hotel room. We have returned home very disappointed with our hotel experience.

The positives of this hotel - the location is excellent, the kids club is very good with a disco and nice play area & the staff are mostly polite and work hard. the bad's of this trip far outweighed the good's so it's hard to give a balanced opinion at this stage.

Room Tip: A tip to get a good room is to book into another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank michaelst
Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We have stayed here a number of times, I do not have many faults with this hotel of the resort in general, I cant wait to return there. However, the bar and entertainment is poor to be fair. The rooms are exceptionally clean and the staff is very friendly and helpfull. We stayed here last summer ( 2011 ) with our 1 year old who got sick and came out in a rash, we went to the receptionist who was a young american girl who simply couldnt be more helpful and advised us to use a particular powder on our son before taking him to the hospital to see if it helps. Later that evening the young american receptionist came to out room with a bottle of this powder and explained she went to a pharmacy and purchased it when she finished her shift!.. I couldnt believe she took it upon herself to do this and as I offered to reemburse her she totally refused. A model employee !.. Would advise anyone to stay here, It is not a 5 star as they claim but the service sure is and rooms are comfortable, pool area is tidy and the resort do not allow you reserve a lounger with a towel ect. The pool at the clepatra hotel within the resort is amazing !.. excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Pool Veiw rooms are quite good but expencive
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sean B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
0.1 km away
#4 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,090 reviews
0.7 km away
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa d...
#10 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
0.6 km away
H10 Conquistador
H10 Conquistador
#24 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,154 reviews

Been to Mediterranean Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK