3,798 results
All reviews animation team british bar no air con banana bar honolulu bar quiet pool quiet side salad gran canaria snack bar great holiday large hotel pool area slush puppies busy hotel plenty of choice half board
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Just got back from a weeks all inclusive and was so impressed I felt compelled to write a review! We are a group of 5 essex lads aged between 21-25 so were a little concerned before we got there that the Buenaventura would either be a) all germans or b) quiet....not the case on either points!!

The all inclusive is all you could really want alcohol wise and the staff literally serve whoever is next in line (whoever said that they only serve non all inclusive must be very meek!)

Maybe just when we stayed but there were atleast 5 groups of young,lively but to be fair all respectful british adults who we had a great laugh with!! Everyones very friendly and after all your on holiday!!

Nightlife is exceptional,'the pit' is full of up for a laugh young people and i did not see one crossed word between any holidaymakers in the entire week! (couldnt say that about magaluf,malia et al' though could you?!)

If young you MUST do the MTV boattrip...best laugh we had all holiday! Met some great people who we will keep in touch with no doubt!!

I can only speak as a young 25 year old brit but I would definitely reccommend this hotel and resort to a similar up for it crowd. For families...not sure,it probably depends on the age of your kids.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank JamesEssex9
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Just returned from a week at the Buenaventura, check in quick, rooms large and spacious. Beds undoubtedly hard ! Staff friendly especially the animation team that were great. Shower room provided for late check out free of charge, just ask at reception.
Safe available for 14 Euros per week. which I thought was reasonable.
Restaurant is self service, and food has a good choice, although slightly repetitive. For AI guests dinner can be taken at any time, otherwise you are allocated one of three sittings. There seemed no one in charge of the restaurant and at dinner it could be chaotic, people wandering around looking for a table and one guy serving drinks for the whole restaurant.
AI drinks were not great, to be honest the worst AI drinks I have experienced, watered down, and no bottled water included.
Three lovely swimming pools, towards the end of our stay,the no reserving of sunbeds rule was being enforced, which was a good thing, as some had been reserved early morning and not used until the afternoon!
The hotel was very noisy some nights, people returning at 5,6 am and being VERY loud, and rowdy, running down corridoors, slamming doors,shouting across the balconies. I would be really concerned if I had, had small children asleep.
Overall a good hotel, but more suitable for families out of peak season. As we left the hotel, the wide range of ages and nationalities of the guests was being overtaken by younger larger groups.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank l65
Reviewed 14 July 2011

OK here goes, i will try to write a totally truthful review because i count on these when i book hotels, after looking at trip advisor.

But before you read on... we did have a great time, so i may be biased...lol

Firstly this is a big hotel... it has 724 rooms - we asked!
Therefore you have alot of people around, so sunbeds are always a premium, however i found that up til 9.30 you are ok for one in at least one of the pools.

The pools are never too busy, but do have alot of rules... no inflatables, no jumping in etc.... once again, its understandable given the size of the hotel, it could get out of control easily. But our 7 yr old was a bit disapointed about this.

The rooms are a good size and as with the whole hotel, very very clean.Maid was in every day...
Balconies are a decent size, if you are going i would recommend a room at least on the 4th floor as there are a lot of trees in the grounds which would obscure your view.
I found the beds hard, but thats personal choice.
The hotel has quiet sides and noisier sides, so i guess its luck of the draw as far as how quiet it is, we got noise from an adjacent hotel but it stopped at 12pm.
Buy earplugs if you are bothered...

Staff on the whole are pleasant and helpful, there was a couple who appeared less helpful but not rude or anything.

Food is out of this world, excellent choice and different dishes most days. The breakfasts are the same, but lunch and dinner are varied..... you will put on weight.
One thing tho.... the restuarant is a bit of a muddle, we quickly realised it was easier to get the seat, then go up individually for the food. Theres cards on the table to say if you are finished or just away getting more food.

The drinks are perfectly good... try the honey rum, its lovely!

Our child loved the evenings entertainment, therefore we spent most evenings there.Its a good show each night, they try their hearts out and do seem to love their work. Even if the germans dont give them much feed back...lol

The hotel is mostly full of germans, who can be stand-offish, however we never had any bother, plus i can say i never saw a single drunk idiot in the whole week... could i say that if it was a 100% british hotel with a free bar 12hrs a day!

Location is a walk from the beach but theres a free bus bus, plus it was 4 euros for a taxi to the main bit at the beach... so not too bad.

So in conclusion... brilliant food, big hotel, very clean, would love to go back.
Hope this helps

Room Tip: above 4th floor, depending on which side, may be noisier than others
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank johnthehun
Reviewed 12 July 2011

So, i was rather hesitant after reading some of the reviews on here, but i thought i'd go for it as i got a pretty good deal, especially for early July.
Have to say there was nothing to worry about! We arrived at the hotel around 1pm, our room wasn't ready but the receptionist was very helpful and polite and allowed us to leave our luggage in the hold room and gave us our all inclusive bands so we could get some food while we waited an hour. The rooms are spotless, can't fault them. I was a bit worried about the prospect of having no air conditioning, but i didn't notice the lack of it at all! The hotel always had plenty to do, my boyfriend and I went to the busier of the two pools, the only downside was having to get up pretty early to get a sun lounger, but thats expected at basically every hotel! Even the gardens and pool area were spotless. The food was lovely, and i am a pretty fussy eater but i always found something! We didn't really explore the area that much, but there are quite a few bars and restaurants, however they were very expensive (6 euros for a bottle of smirnoff ice) and so we mainly stayed in the hotel. The beach is around a 10-15 minute walk, but there is also a shuttle bus to take you there too. I do agree that the hotel is dominated by germans mostly, but that didn't affect our stay!
All in all i would definately go back. The hotel is probably the best i have stayed in, however the area surrounding wasn't as 'buzzing' as i thought it would be, especially as the hotel is located in the main nightlife centre, but no doubt if you explored a bit further you'd find something more! The hotel is suitable for basically anyone, so don't hesitate and book it!

Room Tip: The hotel entertainment goes on quite late into the night, so i wouldn't recommend getting a balcony overlooking the busy pool!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lhg2291
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Just got back from a week here with my boyfriend and overall we were quite pleased with our stay. I thought I'd share our experience, particularly regarding the food on All Inclusive, as that was what I was most worried about before we went. We don't eat meat, and I usually eat more exciting food than just pasta, chips etc. Neither of us have been on an All Inclusive holiday before, but we booked it because it was only about £20 each more than bed and breakfast. That was a good decision considering how cheap it was, although we still ended up going out for a few meals as we were so bored of the food available on the buffet.

The selection available did not vary much over the week, and I ended up eating a lot of salad and pasta, and enjoyed the amusement of eating Brussels sprouts in June- I assume this is a normal thing to eat throughout the year in Gran Canaria (or, more likely, Germany). There isn't really anything as a vegetarian option such as veggie burger, which is not surprising, but I didn't mind eating vegetables most of the time. Everything tasted alright, but not amazing.

On to the melons...I have never seen so many melons in my life- I think they must have a melon farm hidden somewhere in the gardens, as about a quarter of each buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is a selection of different types of melon. It's a melon lover's dream, but I find it a particularly bland fruit and would prefer if they mixed it up a bit with some fresh mango or pineapple. Maybe gorging on melons is also a normal habit in the Canary Islands, but they do seem to dominate the selection available.

Elsewhere on desserts, the ice-cream tasted OK but was obviously very low quality- practically liquid and the banana flavour tasted a bit like that medicine I used to get as a child but more concentrated in artificial flavour. That may a desirable taste to some but I wouldn't want to spend too long in the company of any kids who've made the most of the unlimited ice-cream.

Breakfast includes standard stuff- mounds of croissants, cereal, yoghurts, fried stuff, churros a few times (tasty), plus cheese and meaty stuff and even more melon! I tried to ignore the juxtaposition of ham and tinned fruit. Maybe if the melon did not command its own table, they could space the trays out better. Try the German chocolate spread on churros- lovely!

The 'fruit juice' available on all inclusive is just insulting. It tastes just like strong squash with added sugar. Avoid! I was also disappointed that all the drinks are cheap brands, so no real Diet Coke on tap in fact. The one available was not bad, but again tasted suspiciously sugary so I did not 'disfrutar' the free drinks as much as I thought I would.

I would recommend the honey rum from the alcoholic drinks- this is very nice and I bought a bottle to take home. I mostly drank that, along with a bit of banana liqueur (btw servings are massive, even if you ask for a small one). Again, these are cheaper brands but that's to be expected. My boyfriend said the local lager, Tropical, is nice. I don't think any lager is nice so can't judge that myself. He ordered some of the inclusive 'cocktails' once and noted that they were poured from a tap, so I'd also recommend staying away from them. But honey rum= yum.

The service was varying. Most staff are friendly, and the maids all say 'hola' when you pass. (Amusingly I discovered that some Spanish guests even say 'hola' when you enter the lift or the toilet.) On a few occasions I wanted to buy something which was not on all-inclusive (real orange juice, real ice cream) the staff made a big deal of the fact that it would cost extra, as if it looked like I was going to steal them, despite wielding a purse. Seems as if a few can't be bothered giving a good service to all-inclusive guests but I didn't have any massive problems with this and eventually got what I needed!

The language situation in the hotel was a bit confusing. I can speak Spanish quite well, so try to do that when I'm in Spain, but here it seems that most staff (not only in the hotel but the whole of Playa del Ingles) insist on speaking in English or German, and seem annoyed if anyone tries to speak Spanish! After a while I stopped bothering with the Spanish for this reason. It's a bit embarrassing to try to conduct a conversation as a language competition. I'm sure they're just trying to be helpful but it gets very frustrating when I would like to be able to practice my Spanish, not have numbers shouted at me in German. If you want to chat to other guests, learn some Deutsch! I wonder if there's a resort in Germany which caters to Spanish guests? I'd be interested to visit such a place for the reverse experience. Or maybe I'll just not go to a place with 'English' in the name in future!

Regarding everything else: It's a very big hotel so involves a lot of walking/waiting for lifts to get to some rooms. Our room was good, nice view, well-equipped and clean. Good opportunity to enjoy some foreign TV, including Spanish Million Euro Drop. It got quite noisy one night, but I managed to sleep through it. There's no air-conditioning which I didn't find too bad in June when the temperatures aren't too high, but it would get a lot more uncomfortable if they reach the high thirties. Anyway, being too hot is a good excuse to enjoy the pool! We stuck to the one with jacuzzi and kids' pool and thought it was great. It was busy but not overcrowded, and water was a nice, cool temperature!

We only watched the entertainment on one night, when I held a huge snake on stage! Very exciting. The rest looked mildly amusing- Mamma Mia, We Will Rock You, karaoke, but we couldn't get a place to sit on the other nights we had a look. The shops in the hotel seemed a bit pointless- nothing useful such as waterproof mascara available, just a load of tat.

To conclude, if you love unlimited melon and booze, want a relaxing holiday around a nice pool and CBA speaking any Spanish, it's a great place to go!

Room Tip: Lower numbers are a long walk! (101, 201 etc.)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple