This was our second Riu holiday, this one was half board. as expected everything was great, food, cleanliness, staff etc. It was mainly couples, but generally a lot older than us(52 & 57) but maybe we don't realise how old we look!! I think I could count on one hand the number of couples that appeared younger than us.
The evening entertainment which we looked in on once, was singing and polite clapping, not our cup of tea, but then we are not bothered about that really happy with entertaining ourselves. There were quite a number of same sex couples which did not bother us, as with any holiday it's behaviour that counts and we had no problems here. Children were almost non existant, pool entertainment was non existent, so if you like peace and quiet you'll love it here, also there was no mad early morning rush for sunbeds.
points worth being aware of:
You are allocated a table number and sitting for dinner at either 6pm or 8pm for the duration of your stay, we were allocated 8pm, which is far too late for me to eat every night, so we asked to be changed which they did from the Monday. You can do the buffet graze or have table service for the main course, He grazed and I was waited on which was great as the meal was always served on a hot plate and the food was nice and hot too. You can also book to go in the Krystal Restaurant which is well worth it at no extra cost, we did this twice during our stay.
15 euros for safe.
Sitting by the pool for seven days is a bit much for us, we can only chill for so long, so we did hire a car for a couple of days, we did ask the rep for details but the one recommended was very pricy at 45 euros per day plus insurance, we walked up the main road from the hotel and found that generally it was 30-35 euros, but one company had a special offer of 65% off and we got a fiat panda with air con for 40 euros for 2 days including insurance with a 50 euro refundable deposit, they were called Suarmez but do check T&C's as we found the insurance is void if you don't fill out an accident report, there was not one in the car and I struggled to get a blank form out of the old gentleman who did not speak good English. The fuel bill was 27 euros, we had to return the car with the same amount of fuel which was half a tank.
We did a tour of the island and up into the mountains which was stunning, do take long trousers/jacket/shoes as it was pretty chilly up on the peak. Mist freezing onto the pine needles was very unexpected. Driving was OK up in the mountains you need a head for heights in parts and some caution on the winding roads, I’d rather do it in a car than a coach.
When booking we did look at the Riu wikiki cheaper and all inclusive, but were glad we didn't as location was did not look good when we passed it on the dual carriageway.
We have a Rui membership card which you can apply for on line and earn points it's all on the website and worth looking at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Playa del Ingles. Next to the Maspalomas sand dunes. 4-Storey building. Colonial-style architecture. 28,000 M2 of subtropical gardens. 800 M from the beach. 2 Km from the city centre. 500 M from various shops. 30 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Maspalomas Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria