See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 May 2017

This hotel was absolutely disgusting.

We arrived late at night with no idea where to go and had to wonder around at midnight with vases and a 4 year old to try and find the sister hotel which was not close by to get our keys and enter the hotel.

Once we had done this we were appalled at the state of our room. It looked nothing like the picture for a start- there were cracked and holes in the doors, the balcony doors did not lock, there was mould in the bedroom and bath room. One of the 4 beds (for 4 people) was broken the lats were all snapped and digging through the mattress. 2 of the mattresses had wholes in and all 4 were stained. And the appartment had insects and bugs everywhere!

My husband returned to the sister hotel to complain as the living conditions were in fit and there was no one on duty at the hotel. He was able to find a security guard from another hotel to ring staff from our hotel and we were moved rooms for that night then that rm was booked out the next day so we were moved to a different hotel.

The pool is also empty and derelict so we were lied to by the travel agent who assured us there was a pool for our little girl to sleep in.

Luckily for us the new hotel (apparentments) we were moved to were nice - basic but clean and nice (Mediterranean suites)

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank KGrantini
Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

We were due to stay at the catalonia gardens apartments and we were concerned after reading the reviews, anyway when we arrived the entrance was daunting as it's a large steel gate. The salou suite sister hotel is back down the hill to the main road cross over to the red box and walk a couple of hundred yards and there's an amusement arcade on the corner turn left it's just on the left hand side.
When we checked in the lady on reception said it's not really suitable for families as it's mainly singles or all male parties, she said she could move us to Atalaya-mar which is just up from Catalonia gardens but is mainly privately owned apartments. The apartment was clean but basic. There was an oven but it didn't work but to be honest we were just happy to be in different accommodation after reading the other reviews. The apartment had 2 bedrooms and sofa bed in the lounge, one bathroom with jack and Jill doors, a balcony looking over the pool which was kept immaculate. I can't comment on catalonia gardens but I can hopefully add some pointers for a better stay.
The water park Aqoupolis is worth a visit but you don't have to pay extortionate prices, i Googled the place and bought tickets online a family of 5 for €89,printed them at salou suite hotel reception, we then bought T10 tickets €1.20 per journey so €12 + a charge of €3.50 for the card which can be recharged. Bus tickets which are available from the red boxes or the plana bus touts who are everywhere. Catch the bus from the red box and the driver even told us when we arrived at our stop. Barcelona can be reached by train again saving money but it was fully booked so we had no alternative but to use the plana buses it was about €90 euro for 5 people which wasn't bad. That was a drop off in the centre and providing you are willing to walk a few miles nearly all of the attractions can be reached by foot except the football stadium which is quite far out. We went right out of the beaten track and didn't feel threatened. Tarragona is a must to visit and is the original Barcelona which has a ramblas and roman amphitheatre, old Spanish town squares full of cafe's and restaurants and can be reached by bus again using T10 tickets. The bus terminal is in the centre and a good 25 minutes walk to the amphitheatre. Lots of food places to eat in salou we found a very good restaurant called cheers in the old town but quite a walk. Temple Bar for live music but tend to play the same every night so gets monotonous.The red lion for quiz, pool and friendly staff. The beach we used was up the hill from catalonia gardens turn left at the flamenco restaurant and walk to the end of the road cross over and down the steps be aware it's quite steep but worth a visit. Hopefully these are some useful pointers for your holiday.!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 2 August 2016

it was a 2 star apartment read all reviews before I went and was bit concerned . took grandkids away on a quick school holiday break . Room was ok basic but clean had all I needed . pool open at 11am with lifeguard on duty . pool was ok could have done with few more sunbeds . loads of reviews said it was residential I got talking to lad from Ireland and lots of apartments have been bought for holiday home by Spanish French and English nothing wrong with that . Place was secure needed keys to get in lifts clean and corridors clean . To be frank lots of the reviews I read what do they expect and you don't spend that much time in your room anyway . Nice big balcony had corner apartment . Had booked a one bed but was given a two bed . When we got their had to collect key from the Salou Suit just round the corner the security guard walked round with me to show me the way . Clean room once a week pretty normal for an apartment . We had good time and I did not expect luxury for 2 star bargain holiday and rooms ok no worse that others I have stayed for a quick cheap break .

Room Tip: get corner apartment as you get real good size balcony
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank GrahamTraveller50
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We arrived at this place after tailing around for an hour. The room was dated but I could have gotten over that if there wasn't a dirty towel in the bathroom sink. The balcony which was very low was extremely unsafe there was NO water in the pool!!!! This place should not be on holiday sight it is a residential apartment block no water in the pool no check in service you have to check in at Salou suite a short walk away! After deciding this place was rubbish the Salou suit accommodated us in their apartment block which was ideal! Top floor with an absolutely massive balcony!!!
* GAVE 1 STAR AS IT DOES NOT ALOW 0*

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank jennakacey
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Catalonia Gardens is not a hotel! it is a block of apartments for drunk teenagers. I was not meant to be spending my weeks holiday with my partner and 5 children in these horrible apartments! I have been to Salou a number of times before hand and having such a large family I always had to take 2 apartments in every hotel I stayed in as most family rooms only accommodate for 4 people. I booked a private apartment in Salou called Cala Dorada, the apartment accommodated for 8 people witch suited us perfectly! When I arrived in Salou I had to travel to collect my key. When I met up with the apartment owner to collect my key I had been told there has been a mistake and the apartment I had booked had been double booked but he owned another apartment to suit 8 and he would put us there of course this other apartment he owned was in the Catalonia Gardens. We were out on the 4th floor witch wasnt good because my youngest child is only 3. There was holes in the wall, the door didnt lock properly, no towels provided , and air conditioning was not working! My family had planned on self catering for the week as in the photos for Cala Dorada had an oven cooker. We could no longer do that as the oven in the apartment we were staying in had mould and burnt food in it. We had to eat out for the week over in the International 2 apart/hotel , the staff treated us lovely but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked and could not accommodate my family. The man who we dealt with would not refund us part of our money and we thought what we stayed in was not worth the money that we had to pay him before we arrived in Salou. I was highly disgusted by the way my family and I where treated. If you are thinking of booking for Catalonia Gardens I advise not!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family