See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

We were due to stay at the catalonia gardens apartments and we were concerned after reading the reviews, anyway when we arrived the entrance was daunting as it's a large steel gate. The salou suite sister hotel is back down the hill to the main road cross over to the red box and walk a couple of hundred yards and there's an amusement arcade on the corner turn left it's just on the left hand side.
When we checked in the lady on reception said it's not really suitable for families as it's mainly singles or all male parties, she said she could move us to Atalaya-mar which is just up from Catalonia gardens but is mainly privately owned apartments. The apartment was clean but basic. There was an oven but it didn't work but to be honest we were just happy to be in different accommodation after reading the other reviews. The apartment had 2 bedrooms and sofa bed in the lounge, one bathroom with jack and Jill doors, a balcony looking over the pool which was kept immaculate. I can't comment on catalonia gardens but I can hopefully add some pointers for a better stay.
The water park Aqoupolis is worth a visit but you don't have to pay extortionate prices, i Googled the place and bought tickets online a family of 5 for €89,printed them at salou suite hotel reception, we then bought T10 tickets €1.20 per journey so €12 + a charge of €3.50 for the card which can be recharged. Bus tickets which are available from the red boxes or the plana bus touts who are everywhere. Catch the bus from the red box and the driver even told us when we arrived at our stop. Barcelona can be reached by train again saving money but it was fully booked so we had no alternative but to use the plana buses it was about €90 euro for 5 people which wasn't bad. That was a drop off in the centre and providing you are willing to walk a few miles nearly all of the attractions can be reached by foot except the football stadium which is quite far out. We went right out of the beaten track and didn't feel threatened. Tarragona is a must to visit and is the original Barcelona which has a ramblas and roman amphitheatre, old Spanish town squares full of cafe's and restaurants and can be reached by bus again using T10 tickets. The bus terminal is in the centre and a good 25 minutes walk to the amphitheatre. Lots of food places to eat in salou we found a very good restaurant called cheers in the old town but quite a walk. Temple Bar for live music but tend to play the same every night so gets monotonous.The red lion for quiz, pool and friendly staff. The beach we used was up the hill from catalonia gardens turn left at the flamenco restaurant and walk to the end of the road cross over and down the steps be aware it's quite steep but worth a visit. Hopefully these are some useful pointers for your holiday.!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 2 August 2016

it was a 2 star apartment read all reviews before I went and was bit concerned . took grandkids away on a quick school holiday break . Room was ok basic but clean had all I needed . pool open at 11am with lifeguard on duty . pool was ok could have done with few more sunbeds . loads of reviews said it was residential I got talking to lad from Ireland and lots of apartments have been bought for holiday home by Spanish French and English nothing wrong with that . Place was secure needed keys to get in lifts clean and corridors clean . To be frank lots of the reviews I read what do they expect and you don't spend that much time in your room anyway . Nice big balcony had corner apartment . Had booked a one bed but was given a two bed . When we got their had to collect key from the Salou Suit just round the corner the security guard walked round with me to show me the way . Clean room once a week pretty normal for an apartment . We had good time and I did not expect luxury for 2 star bargain holiday and rooms ok no worse that others I have stayed for a quick cheap break .

Room Tip: get corner apartment as you get real good size balcony
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank GrahamTraveller50
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We arrived at this place after tailing around for an hour. The room was dated but I could have gotten over that if there wasn't a dirty towel in the bathroom sink. The balcony which was very low was extremely unsafe there was NO water in the pool!!!! This place should not be on holiday sight it is a residential apartment block no water in the pool no check in service you have to check in at Salou suite a short walk away! After deciding this place was rubbish the Salou suit accommodated us in their apartment block which was ideal! Top floor with an absolutely massive balcony!!!
* GAVE 1 STAR AS IT DOES NOT ALOW 0*

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank jennakacey
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Catalonia Gardens is not a hotel! it is a block of apartments for drunk teenagers. I was not meant to be spending my weeks holiday with my partner and 5 children in these horrible apartments! I have been to Salou a number of times before hand and having such a large family I always had to take 2 apartments in every hotel I stayed in as most family rooms only accommodate for 4 people. I booked a private apartment in Salou called Cala Dorada, the apartment accommodated for 8 people witch suited us perfectly! When I arrived in Salou I had to travel to collect my key. When I met up with the apartment owner to collect my key I had been told there has been a mistake and the apartment I had booked had been double booked but he owned another apartment to suit 8 and he would put us there of course this other apartment he owned was in the Catalonia Gardens. We were out on the 4th floor witch wasnt good because my youngest child is only 3. There was holes in the wall, the door didnt lock properly, no towels provided , and air conditioning was not working! My family had planned on self catering for the week as in the photos for Cala Dorada had an oven cooker. We could no longer do that as the oven in the apartment we were staying in had mould and burnt food in it. We had to eat out for the week over in the International 2 apart/hotel , the staff treated us lovely but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked and could not accommodate my family. The man who we dealt with would not refund us part of our money and we thought what we stayed in was not worth the money that we had to pay him before we arrived in Salou. I was highly disgusted by the way my family and I where treated. If you are thinking of booking for Catalonia Gardens I advise not!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Graham M
Reviewed 18 July 2015

Obviously there have been lots of bad reviews, but it really wasn't as bad as everyone is saying.
About the apartments:
Yes, the reception is a 10 minute walk away and the apartments aren't the tidiest places. It really isn't meant for a family though, even though over half of the people there are families. The area just isn't appropriate for them due to the nightlife being more suited for young groups going out for a laugh.
There is a time limit of 10pm for when people need to be quiet, though some groups have a tendency to continue playing music and chatting until 1-2am. The sheets are clean but there are a couple of stains, and some bedroom doors look like someone has punched them.
However, the people there are very welcoming and friendly, security guards do watch over the apartments at night, and for the amount of money it is definitely worth going. My friends and I are already planning on going to the apartments again.
About the area:
There are few Spanish restaurants, but plenty of others including English, American, German, Indian, etc. Several supermarkets on almost every street. There is a club next door, so if you are with young children it would be best to get back before 12ish before things get too rowdy. There is also a bus planning shop on the same street as the apartments where you can get tickets for trips to the aquarium, zoo, Barcelona, Port Aventura, and other places with the bus tickets included. The beach is about 10 minutes away: go up the hill, round the corner, and down lots of stairs and you find a gorgeous beach which I've never seen packed. Make sure you bring a parasol though as there are none on the beach and the midday sun in July can sometimes be too strong.
Overall, Salou is a lovely place and the apartments have a great atmosphere for groups of friends looking for a fun holiday.

Room Tip: Families: block on the right hidden by trees=privacy Friends: block in the middle faces pool=watch other groups drama
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends