“Great weekend away”

Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Great weekend away”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

First time to review - Just returned from a long weekend away with my daughter. We found the hotel lovely - very large and spacious. We found the staff to be very helpful, polite and friendly. Check-in took 5 minutes. We had bed and breakfast so can only comment on the breakfast which was a little chaotic but a vast variety of food - something for everyone. The pool area and gardens were lovely with plenty of sun beds. Our only disappointment was that there was no shallow area in the pools. Rooms were clean and spacious, modern decor and lovely clean bed linen with maid service every day. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to return for a longer stay when we will definitely visit the casino.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Jane A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have just returned from an 11 night half board stay. This hotel has huge potential but we could see why it lost its 5th star. Our initial impression was poor with a 40 minute queue to check in and a slow process to locate a room. The 3 reception staff seemed unable to cope with the computer system and failed to give all but the most basic information about the hotel on a sheet of A4. No further information could be found in the room or on notice boards. Reception would deal with queries but there was always a queue.
However, the superior room we'd booked did have the "wow" factor despite needing some minor refurbishment. There were 3 of us and even with the third camp type bed for my 9 year old daughter, there was loads of space. The sea view was amazing. Storage space was better than all of the apartments we've had in the past. Air conditioning does need a complete overhaul. It is extremely noisy and not at all effective. Even on 10 degrees it failed to cool down properly! I have to admit that we totally ignored the instruction not to use the (empty) mini-bar and it made a great small fridge, particularly as there is a very good supermarket less than 5 minutes away.
Housekeeping got better after our first week - perhaps because the hotel seemed to empty on 30th July! We were twice left without towels in the first week and couldn't work out their system for changing them. We had to clear a pile of cigarette ends from our balcony (not ours as we don't smoke and it was a no smoking room!). The cleaners seemed to work hard but our impression was that they were understaffed.
The staff in the restaurant worked really hard and were friendly and welcoming. There just weren't enough of them at busy times. The restaurant is entirely buffet service which could be hectic depending on the time you chose to eat. Its best feature is a fabulous open air terrace which looks out to sea. We very rarely have half board but there was a good selection of food. Our main gripe would be that the hot food, due to the type of heaters used, wasn't always hot. The salad buffet was my favourite. My daughter loved the choice at breakfast.
The pool area and gardens are very pretty and not at all cramped. However, whilst the lifeguard was strict about the "no inflatable" rule (much to my daughter's disappointment!), he totally ignored the rule about reserving sun loungers. Sitting on the grass was preferable to getting up early to put on towels. It was meant to be a holiday after all. That said, for our last 4 days, we could have had about 10 sun loungers each as the hotel seemed to mysteriously empty on 30th July! The two pools are lovely but the shallowest part was 1 metre 50. This was fine for us as we are all strong swimmers but there is no pool for younger children who may prefer to paddle.
My daughter didn't try the kids' club as there only ever seemed to be a small group of Spanish children there and its activities seemed to be mainly indoors in a small room.
One review I read said there was no beach. In fact there are two. One is a small, rocky beach and the other sandyish in front of the excellent Luna Beach Bar. The latter was a 2 minute walk from the hotel garden whilst the other was seconds away. On our last day the hotel put a number of new sun loungers and parasols on the rocky beach for hotel guests.
The hotel's location was at the quieter end of the resort which suited us. We like a walk and it is about half an hour to the main bit of town. Local buses which are regular, cheap and air-conditioned stop just outside.
Not sure we would return to this hotel but we did have a lovely holiday and it has made me re-think my complete preference for apartments / self-catering. We would like to give 3.5 as it was good but not 4 but the pro-forma won't let us do this!!! Main tips to the management - get more staff and put in a new air conditioning system

Room Tip: If there are more than two of you, the superior rooms are very large and have a full sea view. We we...
5 Thank Shades100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I've never written a review before but after our horrendous stay I felt I really had to! Where to start.... A laundry bill for £120 for a few baby bits and tshirts, no entertainment and on the odd night there was a show it cost £30 per person to go in, rude staff in the restaurant accusing us of not paying for our meal, air conditioning broken, not enough us loungers/parasols and towels, water so cold in all the swimming pools (including 'heated' indoor pool) that my baby was shivering, most of the high chairs broken in the restaurant, not told time/location of breakfast and staff who couldn't understand a word of English when I asked for boiling water for my baby's bottle. We spoke to the manager and gave him a list of 13 complaints to which one of his responses was 'it's good for the baby to go in cold water' and' towels are something we provide as an additional service' No apology, just excuses! ... Reading through these comments I have also noted that there aren't any responses from management regarding the negative comments either.. Funny that!!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!
7 Thank Julie D
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear "Julie D",

First of all, I appreciatesincerily your trust in THB Torrequebrada Hotel, by choosing us to spend your holiday.

I regret very much the perception that you have had during your stay regarding our operational system and the personal attention of our Staff.

I would like to explain you, not justify them, the issues that you have commented;

• We provide our clients with dry cleaning/laundry service 24 hrs. so that those guests that wish to wash their clothes when a prolonged period of time can do it. As I'm sure you will understand, I will not give my view about this service is expensive or cheap, exist a list of rates availbale for you or any other guest at the reception desk. I understand that by using the service cost has been verified before so I do not understand your anger. Anyway, we would like to clarfy that in your case was not a pair of garments, but were exactly 28 different articles of cloting types.

• As indicated by you, the hotel has a Theater called Fortuna, where professional shows of international reputation are being held, they are not the typical entertainment team of hotels shows. These shows are charged at 35 euros per person, not 30. Turn to them or not depends on the interest that the show can generate to everyone. Both, The Flamenco Ballet Show and the Musicals (which have been present in the theaters of Gran Via of Madrid) are widely accepted and no one is surprised to have to pay to assist to them.

• The professionalism of our staff is beyond any kind of doubt, in all hotels of this company good service and attention to customers is one of our core identity. I know that you has requested water to prepare your baby-bottle, and that one of our waiters filled it for you with pleasure and free of charge, but by asking you for a large water bottle, you have been told that to take a whole bottle you will have to pay for it. In this case I am so sorry to disagree, because I do not understand your complaint, a bottle of water, soda, ... are services that have a cost. All our Staff at the restaurant, bars and reception desk, speak fluent English, French and German. Perhaps there was a missunderstood in a word or a sentence concrete, and if it was like this and this sopose a hassle for you, please accept our most sincere apologies.

• The outdoor pools are not heated, both marks the ambient temperature, the same as that in any other hotel (with some exceotions). The Indoor heated pool is heated as the name suggests, is not a thermal, and for health reasons can not exceed from 30 °. I am convinced that with an outside temperature of 32-33° this water temprature can give for a moment a cold sensation.

• As our Commercial Manager (not General Manager) has expplained to you, the pool towels service is an extra service that we offer. We have on stock more than enough towels, but I will not deny you that whe the hotel is fully booked (as happened during your stay) sometimes could be possible a lack of them for a short space of time.

• If you review the other comments from our guest, you will see that during this year 2012 we are answering 100% of reviews, in this forum, if you refer to any other forum of opinion please don´t hesitate to let us know.

At all times our aim and function to meet the needs and expectations of our customers and if it appears that for a host of misunderstandings have not been able to do and so I beg you accept our most sincere apologies.

Yours sincerely,

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Really surprised and shocked at the last few reviews. We had room 603, were two adults and one child. Room was spacious and very clean, modern decor and bed linen, towels etc were fine.
We found the choice of food and quality very good and the staff were very friendly towards us. Each night we had no problem getting a table or getting served!
Plenty of different dishes to try so were never stuck for anything to eat!
Pool was lovely and so were pool staff!
\We only had trouble getting a sunbed on the first thurs but it wasnt long until we got one, each other day we had a choice of beds.
We have stayed in many 4 star hotels and this one was absolutely fine.
Didnt see any rats thank goodness or go near the bare wires on the lamp or get stuck in the lift, had we done, this review would be very different!
Lovely wee bars along the promenade outside the hotel and nice walk.
Went into marina and centre couple of times but didnt care very much for that as it was very busy and many drunk folk, its much nicer altho quieter at the end where hotel is!
We would def stay again, we managed to get a fantastic groupon full board deal for our stay and found that we paid a fraction of what others had paid so that was def a bonus.

Room Tip: rooms on sixth floor very quiet, had a peacefull rest at night with no outside noises cava with bre...
5 Thank anne d
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just returned from a week full board at the THB. This was a very last minute deal through Groupon so only had days to read the reviews before we went and our opinion is much the same as everyone elses regarding 4/5*. The hotel in my opinion was only 3*. A false representation through the groupon deal. Only one restaurant, not three and the hammocks on the terrace which were shown have now vanished, spa and gym closed! However the grounds were beautiful and the staff were always cleaning around the pool area and collecting litter. The sunbeds however were always full. We went down every morning at 8.30 before breakfast and only on a few occasions were we lucky to get a sunbed. The rooms were of a good size and were always clean and tidy. Towels were replaced all days bar one and had a minibar/fridge in room. Problem with the air con when we arrived as did not seem to pump out cool air. Reported this on the second day to the reception who were very polite and helpful and got someone out to check it. When we arrived back to the room in the evening it all seemed to be working okay. The reception staff were always very polite and helpful. The staff were mainly polite and friendly around the restaurant area. Ursula was one of the main waiters who served us and she was very polite and did a fantastic job. There was one man who was very grumpy and ignored us. I politely asked for an icebucket for our wine and the waiter completely ignored me and walked past our table although 5 minutes later he did return with one. I do think the restaurant was completely understaffed. Most nights our tables were not cleared and we could not get desserts as we had no space on the table for another plate. I enjoyed the food, lots of choice and lovely salads. Always fish, meat, salad, cheeses, bread and hot casseroles, pasta and chips and chicken nuggets for the kids. Saying this though I did have what I only assume was food poisoning. After the 3rd day I woke in the night with severe stomache pain and then for best part of 2 days had diarrhoea and projectile vomiting, my partner also had diarrhoea which we assume may have been from the fish the night before? I avoided the meat and fish after that and stuck to soup and pasta. We were full board but only ate in the restaurant twice for lunch. Breakfast was very nice too. A choice for everyone and the cakes were fantastic. Cooked breakfast was good with proper English sausages on one day and nice omlettes. The chef who did the omlettes in the morning was very happy and friendly and always had a smile on his face. The cava that was advertised for breakfast was short coming. Never saw it for 2 days and asked the waiter who pointed to where the orange juice was but still never saw any. On the third day I spotted a bottle but no sooner had we gone to get a glass it had all gone and was never returned unless you asked for it! The resort was very quiet. If you wanted lively bars it was a good half hour walk but the buses ran until 5 am and were very cheap. Did know it was a quiet place but not that quiet!! The beach to the left of the hotel was coarse sand and pebbly. Charged 5 euros per sunbed but the sea was lovely and clear. There was building work going on around the hotel which was slightly noisy at times but not an inconvenience of any matter. Saying all this we did have a fantastic time and enjoyed our stay.

2 Thank Lucy C