“Smallish friendly hotel 5' from beach and beach restaurants”

Palmyra Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Glyfada
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This is a smallish hotel 5' from the beach and excellent restaurants overlooking the sea (great for sunsets). Great service and friendly staff. We finished a trip in the morning and the following day we had a late afternoon flight, and we were grateful that they were very obliging about letting us check in early and check out late, so long as rooms were available. Will happily return.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I just got back from a 4 night stay at Palmyra Beach Hotel. This was my first time on Greece's mainland and was encouraged by the amount of positive reviews I read.

So allow me to break it down:

ARRIVAL:

You catch the X96 bus from the airport to the hotel. You can buy an express bus ticket for 6 euros at the ticket kiosk directly next to the bus stop. You can also pay the driver but, on my arrival, the bus was so busy there was no getting to him.

Now, in the email I received from the hotel, it instructed that I get off at the 5th bus stop. I'd suggest no-one pays attention to this information as, probably because of the sheer amount of people on the bus, we must have stopped at about a dozen stops until I reached the one I needed. I think the bus driver was just letting people on and off where he felt like it - not particularly useful when you're riding the bus in a new country for the first time!

What I ended up doing is using Google maps to track my progress and then requested the bus stopped when I was near the hotel. I think I'd have missed my stop otherwise.

Be prepared though to get off at a 6 lane carriageway. For some reason there is a real lack of safe crossing areas across this road so be careful as you cross to reach the hotel!

Upon my arrival the hotel seemed a little uncertain that I had booked, which worried me slightly. I had booked a room and paid extra for a sea-view room. I explained that I was a light sleeper and needed a room in a quiet area of the hotel, so really didn't want to be on the side with the main road.

I was told that there was no such thing as a sea view room - just rooms on the main road and rooms on the side road that were a little quieter and 'kind of' faced towards the sea. It's worth saying that on the side road there are a lot of tall trees, so unless you're very high up in the hotel I doubt you'll be able to see much of the sea in any case. This information should have been made more clear when booking, as I paid an extra £30 for a sea-view room.

Anyway, I was given my room number and the young man on reception guided me to the room. The wrong room to be exact. He realised when I mentioned it was the wrong room number. He then took me to the correct room which was on the side-road (sea-view!) but very close to the main, noisy, 6 lane road. I immediately said that I'd struggle to sleep so close to the road and they kindly found me a different room - which was a more modern, refurbished room, a little further away from the main road.

ROOM:

I stayed in room 14, which was a newly refurbished room on the ground floor. The room was very clean. There was a kettle, tea/coffee, Nespresso machine (you pay 2 euros for a coffee pod), safe, balcony, TV, superb shower, 2 (or3) power points and air conditioning. One of the power points is just behind the phone in the room. I like to have a plug near the bed so that I can view my phone in the morning without walking to the other side of the room. If you pull the cabinet forward you'll see it.

There is WIFI in the rooms and reception area although I found it was rather unreliable and forever disconnecting. As a side - there's also a computer and printer in the reception area, which was useful for printing out my boarding pass!

I found the mattress comfortable but not the pillows. On my second night I didn't get to sleep until 7am - partly due to the rock-hard pillows which caused me to wake up with massive headaches every 20 minutes (I eventually found a pillow that was soft enough) and also due to the music coming from the reception area, which my room was near.

Even though I'd asked for a quiet room, I'd been placed next to the reception area and near a room that was being re-furbished and, what I suspected was a cleaners closet. Obviously it was good being a little further away from the main road but I wasn't expecting loud dance music from the staff on reception at 1am. That said, when I went out to ask them to turn the music down, they did.

STAFF

I had a mixed experience with the staff. The young man who initially took me up to the wrong room seemed quite inexperienced and not particularly helpful. When I said good morning to him the next day, I received a very poor reaction from him.

The guys on the bar were very friendly and easy to talk too. The lady at breakfast was very friendly as was the lady on reception who eventually sorted my room out. Also, the guy who looks after the pool was very helpful and friendly.

BREAKFAST

I ate here twice. Apparently if you book the hotel directly through their site you receive your breakfasts for free - otherwise it costs 9 euros. The breakfast consists of everything you'd expect to see in a breakfast buffet: breads, local cheeses, local meat, fruit, tea/coffee/juices, sausages, mushrooms, beans, eggs, bacon and a selection of Greek cakes. It was all very delicious I must say.

From a pricing point of view you will find cheaper eats a ten minute walk away but you'll have to check what time some of the cheaper places open as the ones I found didn't open until 12pm, although I'm sure there'll be other open that wouldn't be much more expensive.

POOL:

I must say that I didn't enjoy my experience at the pool. The main reason being that it wasn't very big and I didn't feel that I could have any personal space. I spent one afternoon there and that was enough for me. Also, the pool area is quite enclosed with tall buildings so you may find yourself having to move round a bit as the sun gets hidden behind the buildings as the day goes on and big areas get covered in shadow.

It's also worth pointing out that the pool is only open between certain times, which I found a bit unnecessary given the size of it. I guess they prefer it to be manned.

LOCAL AMENITIES

Glyfada beach is a complete waste of time. It's a free beach with a poor pebble-esque surface. You'll need to provide your own towel/seating if you wish to sunbathe there as there's nothing to hire. If you want to go the beach, I'd suggest making a short journey up to one of the private beaches further up the coastline where you can hire beds etc

Tram - The tram is nice and close - about a 3 minute walk. I found the ticket machine there a little confusing as I was under the impression I could buy a 90 minute ticket, however this wasn't an option (I pressed EVERY option) and was left buying a 24 hour ticket - which actually worked out fine. It'll take you about an hour to get into Athens on the T5 (the T stands for Tram!) Just be careful if you're coming back at night as you may struggle to identify which station you're at, it's literally pitch black and the station names aren't illuminated. Google maps is good again, if you still have charge at the end of the day (I didn't and got off two stop too early....which was a pretty good guess!)

Restaurants/bars - I must say that I don't think there's a lot of choice near the hotel itself. You have to walk about 20 mins into Glyfada to find anything decent and when you have the 6 lane road of death to negotiate with, it's not always desirable. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in Glyfada itself but it took longer than expected to get there. If you're really stuck for food though you can do what the young staff member suggested to me - "go to the McDonalds, it's really near" (!)

For restaurants do try and source out the Tavernas. Trip Advisor has little pound signs next to their 'cheap eats' and I found this really useful when I was looking for places. Even the cheap places in Greece have wonderful food and, generally, you're made to feel more welcome as they're family ran.

CONCLUSION:

If it's Athens that you're wanting to visit then look at staying at a hotel further up the tram line as the hour travelling can really eat into your day and I'm sure there'll be other hotels on par with Palmyra a little closer in. That the beach is Glyfada's top 3 attraction should tell you all you need to know about staying in the area - there really isn't a great deal to see or do here.

The hotel has some way to go with it's staffing and refurbishments but it's on the right tracks and I appreciated their efforts to accommodate my requests.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Mike T
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Nice pool, pleasant staff, ten minutes walk from glyfada centre, threee minutes from tram, one minute to bus. Amazingly comfortable beds and we stayed in the rooms that have yet to be refurbished. Excellent value on special offer rate.
Downsides, city view is a little noisy with the Main Street running behind the hotel but this was expected so can't and wouldn't complain. Didn't keep us awake though.
Rooms are dated in this part and it looks like the outside areas where the pool table and dart board are are used as dumping grounds and don't look appealing. However pool area very pleasant.

Room Tip: City view are cheaper but overlook main road.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2017

The hotel is in a prime location in Athens in Glyfada which is the heart of the Athens Riviera. The hotel is fully renovated and the rooms are very spacious,modern with a very nice bathroom. The pool area is very cozy and nice with modern furniture. I will difinitely reccomend to try the greek food from the house menu. All in all, I would visit again the hotel in the near future and I strongly reccomend it.

Manolis Elkal

Room Tip: Choose the sea view rooms or the Junior suite
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Palmyra for two nights before flying to Samos. The hotel is very close to the town centre, if arriving by bus don't get off at the main stop in Glyfada town but go one stop further and you will be right outside. We had a Superior Side Seaview room which was newly renovated in a modern style. Excellent bed and shower etc. The pool area is quite small but adequate and the breakfast was very good. I would recommend this hotel if staying in Glyfada, if you shop around on comparison sites or directly with the hotel you should be able to get breakfast included free of charge.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple