“fish and lamb.”
Review of Tomboni's Bistro

Tomboni's Bistro
Ranked #13 of 260 Restaurants in Longview
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Restaurant is cozy and homey, service is decent. Food was hit and miss. I had the branzino, which was very good and came with an ok couscous and indifferent green beans. My guest had rack of lamb which had a good taste for being overcooked and underportioned with 2 small chops being a rack. Dessert was mediocre.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank Bill B

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Great food, good service. You have to look for restaurants in Longview that rise above the deep fried varieties. This does. Locally sourced if I understand. Great flavor and presentation. Great service without being intrusive. Small quaint space, with a noise level suitable for easy conversation. A true find..

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I love this place because the chef has two menus. One of the two menus changes every week so there is always new dishes to choose from. I high recommend the fried brussels sprouts and the eggplant parm.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank AHollis64
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Wow, we visited this place after reading the reviews. It is definitely 5 stars... superb food, friendliness, and quaint atmosphere. From the salads, bread, and then entrees everything was outstanding. The menu is varied and offers options without losing quality of food. After completing our dinner we sent our compliments to the chef. Chris came out and visited with us. I was impressed as he spoke about finding great suppliers for his food and his love of what he's doing. Would I visit again?? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank MaryAnnP739
Reviewed 1 July 2017

My wife and I went on a date for the first time here on Friday, June 30th. We've been long-time residents of the Marshall/Longview area and always enjoy trying new restaurants. The restaurant re-opens for dinner at 5:30pm, which is when we made our reservation.

We arrived right at 5:30pm and there were already customers seated. The bistro is an old home that's been restored and renovated into a beautiful bistro. When you pull into the parking lot, you immediately realize this isn't your typical Italian restaurant. The inside is very nicely decorated with warm colors and the art on the walls is a vibrant peacock theme. Our waitress immediately seated us at a side table for two near a window and brought us a specials and dinner menu.

The specials menu had a date range from 30 June - 2 July on the top, indicating that it changes frequently. We were a little surprised by the prices for the specials - starting around $18 and going up to $30 for the rack of lamb. As this was a bit outside our price range, we stuck to the traditional dinner menu. We split the pan seared pecorino cheese appetizer ($7). If you've never had pecorino before, it's a very strong cheese, but the tomato/basil sauce on the side helped balance the strength of the cheese, which was hot and fresh. The waitress also brought two steaming hot rosemary focaccia rolls with olive oil; a nice complement to the cheese.

I ordered the Tomboni's lasagna as an entree and my wife ordered the beef bolognaise. The lasagna is not your typical Olive Garden lasagna. The pasta was freshly made and served aldene while the addition of chicken, spinach, and mushrooms gave it a very hearty taste with a northern Italian/Tuscan feel. The only problem was that it was obviously made in advance and wasn't reheated properly. There was a lot of liquid on the plate, meaning they didn't let it rest properly after reheating it, thus a lot of the liquid leached out onto the plate. My wife's bolognaise ($15) was served hot and made with fresh pasta also. Instead of ground beef chunks in the sauce, there were small bits of sliced beef, again, adding heartiness and a unique quality to the dish.

The total bill, with two waters, was about $40 (without tip). In summary, Tomboni's bistro was an interesting take on northern Italian food with American influences, served hot and with a bright atmosphere and an attentive wait staff. If the prices for the specials had been a bit more reasonable and the lasagna had been reheated properly, this would have been an excellent review. If you're looking for a new place to try in Longview, stop by for a great meal!

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Michael D

Been to Tomboni's Bistro? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK