See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I don't even know where to start! This hotel was extremely dirty! There were stains on the sheets, black mold in the bathroom, floor in general was dirty. Outside there were trash bags just thrown in the parking lot. Cigarette butts all over. A nasty vanilla flavored air fresher in the room trying to mask the smoke, it was a non-smoking room. The air freshener was so strong I had a migraine with in 15 mins, even after unplugging it. Stains and noticeable wear and tear on the wall and poor hard wear removal. Towels had rips and stains. Air conditioner sounded like something in it was rattling, so every time it kicked on, we woke up. This was the first econolodge I have ever been disappointed by! The room was cheap, but now I know why! We were booked to stay there 3 nights, but we were so disgusted we changed hotels.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I enjoyed my stay at the Econolodge. The staff here were very helpful, and all very kind.
Seems like a pretty relaxed, laid back environment . I had no issues or problems while I stayed there, housekeepers are quick to get to you if anything is needed.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2017

I travel a fair amount in the US and Mexico typically staying in a motel 80 or more nights per year so I have some idea what to expect. Based on my experience at the EconoLodge in Kansas City earlier in this trip, and many other EconoLodge properties I’ve stayed at over the years, I booked a room here. Huge mistake. Do not even be tempted.

It started with the reservation. Do this for yourself. Google EconoLodge Killeen. Then click on the Website button. It looks and feels like a legit website but it’s not. Sign up for a room here, provide your credit card information, and you too will become a financial fraud victim. The night before my stay, I brought this to the attention of Dustin, who claimed to be the hotel’s network and website administrator, who verified this fraudulent link for himself and vowed to contact Choice Hotels corporate and have it fixed immediately. It is still active.

My credit card company canceled the charge and recommended I go through the fiasco of getting a new credit card number.

When I drove up, initial impressions at the Killeen EconoLodge were not good. There was trash in the parking lot, the lobby was dirty and smelled of pot, the pool had a trash-littered tarp over it, and despite having talked with Dustin, the manager, at length the previous evening, the helpful and pleasant woman I checked in with could not find my new reservation.

I got checked in but at a rate different from what had been quoted and went to my room 115, I think. I pulled back the bedspread and discovered the bed linens to be badly stained and looking like they hadn’t been changed since the previous stay. The towels were thin, torn, and stained. It smelled vaguely of mold. Good thing I typically don’t watch TV because this ancient unit was inoperable. A large mirror sat directly on the desk and almost toppled over when I bumped the desk. I grabbed for a piece of toilet paper and the fixture came right out of the wall. The doors and woodwork throughout the room are filthy and need to be wiped down. Years of gunk is built up in the bathroom corners including a safety pin stuck in one. Oddly, the room phone was branded Super 8. The internet connection was annoyingly slow and I had to leave the door open to avoid a frequent dropped connection. There was no smoke detector.

I immediately went back to the front desk to report these concerns and the woman who checked me in was very much aware of the sub-standard linens but refused to have them changed. I saw the room attendant change them myself, she said. They’re badly stained but they’re clean. There’s no need for them to be changed. It’s a non-smoking room so you don’t need a smoke detector. She ENCOURAGED me to write a poor review so the owners start taking some responsibility to provide resources to address the deplorable conditions at their property.

I was in Killeen to visit with a relative who is suffering through a major medical event and I borrowed some bed linens from him to avoid the hassle and penalty I would have incurred to terminate my reservation here and lodge elsewhere. Extra shampoo was cheerfully provided.

Dustin is a well-meaning and friendly guy who kept trumpeting how very much improved this property is. That may be but it has a very long way to go before is comes up to the standard of any other EconoLodge I’ve stayed at. I canceled planned EconoLodge stays in Bossier City, LA; Memphis, TN; and Bettendorf, IA.

Room tip: There likely are no good rooms
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2017

The only good thing about this place was no bugs. Room smelled horrible, air did not work only blew. Glad it was not hot out. For 20.00 more go somewhere else. Ice machine did not work and breakfast was horrible. Didn't even get anything.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Gross....

The front desk lady was nice and attentive; this was probably the only highlight. The hotel room itself was really gross. I turned on the bathroom light and there were cockroaches! The fridge was dirty... The floors and bed were pretty clean with functioning tv and wifi, so that was good (who knows if there were bed bugs though). The thing I hated the most was that it was very unsafe. You don't need the keycard to get in- you could easily use any plastic card to hack the latch of the door, so if we left, anyone could enter our room and steal things. This hotel needs to be further renovated, needs to provide more basic necessities (we only got two small towels), and needs added safety measures. Basic doesn't need to mean poverty-level.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Yogin P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Dear Valued Customer,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking out your valuable time in providing us the review. Your review will definitely help us to work on the improvements and make our guests' stay best of the best. I would like to extend a sincere apology on behalf of the EconoLodge for your stay being unpleasant and very less than satisfactory. I am sorry that you had to face several inconveniences.

All of the issues have already been notified to all the staffs of the hotel. There has been constant remodeling and up-gradation of this property with all brand new mattresses, furniture, carpet, bedding, and we have been getting compliments on the comfort level from many of our guests. We truly understand your circumstances and frustrations associated during your stay and I can assure you that if you try us another time you will have positive attitude towards the hotel.

I hope you will give us a second chance to serve you better in future and provide you utmost customer service.

Thank you.