“Classic fine dining in East TExas”
Review of Stillwater Inn

Stillwater Inn
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Jefferson
Price range: US$ 24 - US$ 42
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a 1890's home. White tablecloths and silverplate flatware. Menu changes seasonally with daily specials. Chef owned, since 1984. Casual attire. Men asked to remove their hats before being seated.Fresh seafood, rack of lamb, veal dishes occasionally.
Reviewed 17 October 2016

There is simply no better classic fine dining between the Mississippi River and Dallas than Bill and Sharon's Stillwater Inn.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Stillwater Inn

Reviewed 26 September 2016

A few years ago we decided to celebrate our anniversaries by heading out to investigate smaller Texas towns. This year we chose Jefferson and stayed at a sweet B&B (White Oak Manor). I investigated restaurants for our special dinner and was intrigued by Stillwater Inn; we were happy to hear our host seconded our choice.

Driving up to the Inn, we were impressed to find a well-tended house with a fence - I'm a sucker for white picket fences! Inside was beautifully appointed and subtly let diners understand that you could be comfortably dressed but this was a well-mannered dining establishment. We were shown to a room with only 4 tables and many windows - perfect! (There were many more tables in rooms throughout the house.)

My husband opted for the Stillwater salad, which he said was delicious, and I had the flavorful spinach and leek soup. Our entrees were the pecan-crusted trout and shrimp scampi, both accompanied by fresh green beans and mushroom risotto. We also ordered the sweet potatoes and broccoli, not knowing that our dinners came with green beans. Not a big problem - just wish it had been listed with the risotto - but hubby managed to put a big dent in the extra veggies. What's a celebration without dessert? Of course we had to order...the Limoncello for hubby and Concord cake for me - both light, not overly sweet and delicious. In fact, the whole dinner was delicious and nicely presented. We truly felt a little bit pampered and we're very happy to have found such a delightful restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. We even took a photo with the chef...well, the paper mache' one at the entryway!

1  Thank Betty C
smokedpeppers, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and observations about the Stillwater Inn. Sorry about the lack of clarity regarding the accompanying vegetables. We have changed our new menu to provide more complete information.
I especially appreciate your comments about the landscaping and ambiance. Setting the stage for a pleasurable dining experience has been something my wife and I have been dedicated to since we opened in 1984. We hope to see you on another anniversary!
Bill Stewart chef/owner

Reviewed 18 September 2016

We went to Stillwater Inn for dinner to celebrate my mom's birthday during a little road trip from Dallas to Jefferson. Someone had mentioned that the food was comparable to The French Room in Dallas. My mom and step-dad have gone there quite often and have traveled to many locales in the USA and all over the world and love great food and wine.
So, to make that comparison to The French Room was quite a statement.............and we can now back up that review! It's true!

From our first step on to the property, every detail was just perfect. The beautiful Stillwater Inn, the ambiance, the tasteful decor, the service, the food, the "everything" was just perfect. We had the escargot, the mixed greens with goat cheese salad and one of the evening's specials "red snapper with a wonderful fresh crab and remoulade sauce". To.die.for!
The owners have worked their magic for 33 years and everything was beyond compare. Our waiter was fairly new, but adorably attentive and made our dinner so enjoyable.

We just can't say enough about this treasure!

My mom and I were just delighted to have this dining experience with the kindness, remarkable hospitality and wonderful cuisine.

Kudos to the owners and staff! For 33 years, you have most certainly made many thousands of customers very happy!

Dana and Jane

Thank you for celebrating your mother's birthday with us. It is obvious that you both came to enjoy yourselves, and I am happy your experience was such a positive one. The French Room association comes from the 2 year " tour of duty" at the French Room in Dallas, before we loaded up the buckboard and headed East, in 1983. After 33 years in Jefferson, the opportunity to work with such gifted chefs continues to keep me focused on doing my best with every dish. Your patience with the new waiter was much appreciated, and provided some welcomed encouragement. Thank you for that as well.
Bill Stewart

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Atmosphere is opulent yet soothing. Food is amazing. Steak cuts with a fork! Best risotto I have ever had.

Wlliam S, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review the Stillwater Inn, and I am happy to know your experience was a very positive one. It has been our pleasure to serve East Texans, and visitors, for over 30 years, and while not perfect, we stay focused on making the most of the best quality ingredients available. I hope we measure up to your expectations on your next trip.
Bill

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

Whether we have an early or a late reservation, the service and good are impeccable. We always make our reservation at Stillwater before our B&B reservation because it is a highlight of our visit to Jefferson. The limoncello dessert is fab! Order it early to be directly get one.

Wlliam S, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review the Stillwater! I hope we can continue to add to a memorable experience in Jefferson.