All reviewsjay gouldhistoric hotelgrant roomlady birdbiscuitsstayed one nightcosmetic repairshistoric treasurethe wi fino elevatorbed coversantique storeshotel staffnext morninggeneral storebeautiful roomghost stories
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I walked in while touring the shops to see the local site and thought it was quaint on the outside. I was intensely uncomfortable upon entering. I just felt like I was doing something wrong and had a very strong urge to leave. So I did. So I really cant review what I was not able to see.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy J
Reviewed 7 November 2017

I spent a night at the Excelsior House and really enjoyed it! The location is wonderful, and everything in the town is within walking distance. I was in the Jay Goulde room which was spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and answered questions. While there are some maintenance issues which could be addressed, like peeling paint in some areas and other cosmetic repairs, I feel like this is to be expected with any property as old as the Excelsior. We had a wonderful stay and I would definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We stayed 2 nights at this historic hotel. Such a shame the owners don't take pride in this hotel. The exterior could use some care. A few of the exterior shutters have broken hinges which is an easy fix. For 2 days we saw a grinding wheel sanding pad right outside the front door, the staff never picked it up. Friends of ours stayed here 6 months ago and asked if the hotel lobby was back to order. they are working on a second floor bathroom Reno but after 6 months still not complete. We stayed in the Lady Bird room, 214, on the second floor. Just outside our door there is a thermostat control that is just hanging, holes in the wallpaper. The room is nice actually. The bathroom though is gross, broken tile, dirty grout, missing grout to where the tile feels like it moves when stepping on it. The breadboard and baseboards are dirty. Could use a shelf to hold a some stuff but that is my personal preference. The back balcony had construction wood laying around which could have been placed elsewhere to provide better ambiance We did have breakfast which was good but luke warm at best. I would not stay here again. Being a historic landmark it is a pitty this property is not taken better care of.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We were so impressed with the beautiful Excelsior House. We stayed one night in the Diamond Bessie suite and wished we had spent all 3 of our nights in Jefferson there. It is far and away the nicest of the downtown historic hotels. Our room had a beautiful king size bed with a crocheted canopy, a sun room with a twin bed, mini fridge and Keurig coffee machine with a myriad of coffees to choose from. The sun room opens into the beautiful New Orleans style courtyard. We will never stay anywhere else in Jefferson. The staff was gracious and accommodating.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank lhunt2725
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here one tonight while travelling through. Nice historical hotel but it does come with the old world quirks, to be expected. We stayed in the lady bird room on the 2nd floor. Massive room, comfy bed with lovely clean linen. Shower wasn't the best, had trouble getting hot water flowing, but it could be the old plumbing. Air conditioner was super loud so had to turn it off during the night to sleep. Breakfast was lovely - in a really nice part of the hotel over looking the courtyard fountain and the breakfast service was lovely. Overall a pleasant experience - would have liked breakfast to be included in the price tho, not additional.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple