“This at one time was the quintessential hot dog in Houston”
Review of James Coney Island

Ranked #126 of 328 Restaurants in Humble
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, Fast food
Reviewed 9 November 2017

I know things change...I know how it works. Had not had a James Coney Island in over 15 years, since leaving Houston. JCI used to provide the best hot dogs w/ chili, cheese,etc. that you will ever eat. So I searched out the closest location during a trip to Houston. Holy....Moly was it a disappointment. The dogs are smaller than before; the chili not as substantive as I remembered, and the buns, sitting in a steam table, were chewy and much smaller to go along with the much smaller hot dogs. Now it's true that 15 years can modify a memory, but I know what they used to be, and today's dogs aren't it.

2  Thank mike m

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I remember being a kid and going with my dad to the original James Coney Island. I loved them, and was hooked! The hamburgers are pretty good too!

Kind of pricey for a hot dog, but worth it!

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Very poor quality dogs, condiments, etc! Eat hot dogs in Chicago or New Jersey and they are great. No comparison!

1  Thank Jesse C
Reviewed 14 October 2016

Arrived in town and hadn't eaten anywhere so we stopped here. Took a while to decide what to eat from all the choices. A local suggested the classic and chili pie which my wife ordered. I got two chili dogs and cheesy tots. Everything was great and we may stop by here again before going home. Not too many hot dog restaurants are around so if you're in the Houston area, do yourself a favor and try James Coney Island!

Reviewed 7 September 2016

James' is celebrating their 93rd Anniversary this year. They have been in the Houston area continuously since 1923. They are renowned for their Coney Island hotdogs and chili. Have been eating at James' since my youth so when we return to Houston, we have to schedule at least one visit. It is good to be able to report that the Coney Islands haven't changed since the first one I ever had. Their hot dogs are really good. Service was good and the staff friendly. Just can't match that taste anywhere else.