“Guest beware....they charge for what should be complimentary.”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #15 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Being that I work for a boutique hotel in Houston myself, small items such as toothpaste or pepto bismol should be complimentary. At least at my hotel they are. The Houstonian? $2.00! Not only that, but the front desk agent didn't seem willing to credit my bill as a one time courtesy. Outside of that, the hotel was wonderful. Concierge was very attentive as was the rest of the staff. My wife and I celebrated our first year anniversary last night, and would certainly return there again, but as a precaution, you will pay for simple toiletries that should be free.

• Stayed: March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at the Houstonian while in town visiting relatives. I enjoyed the quiet nature of my stay. The room was nice but was surprised with the small size of the bathroom. It was fine , just much smaller than I expected. The pools ( 3) were clean and well staffed. I also used the fitness center and the spa and they were both exceptional. This property , while in the middle of everything and near the galleria area, was in a parkland setting. I will stay here again. Also the staff was always helpful.

Room Tip: backside on concierge floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My mom and I stayed here for a family wedding and had a mostly positive experience. If you love to swim, this is the hotel for you! Mom and I both loved the 3 gigantic swimming pools, which were heated in February to a comfy 88 degrees. The gym (in a separate building) has everything you could possibly want - awesome locker rooms, indoor and outdoor tracks, climbing wall, fitness classes, complimentary earphones for the machines, free water with lemon (and coffee and iced tea) - list is long! The spa is in a separate building that feels like a Houston version of the Petite Trianon. I had a massage from a friendly but not expert masseuse. Again, there was a lovely float pool in the spa. The hotel itself is in a 1980s-style black glass building surrounded by a very pretty garden and small woods. The black glass, hunting lodge decor and dark wood paneling make the place feel very masculine and Republican. George Bush Sr. and Barbara used to live here part-time. However Mom and I are Democrats and no one seemed to mind. Ask for a room that looks out the back of the hotel to the woods. Our room faced a courtyard (and a parking garage) and felt very dark. Beds were comfy and the housekeeping staff seemed to clean the room every time we left it. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent (the waiter was particularly nice). There was a plumbing glitch that left us with no hot water for about an hour on Saturday afternoon. This was resolved, and the hotel agreed to credit us with free parking to make up for the inconvenience. I would happily return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the woods.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Celia M
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I just left the Houstonian yesterday. We stayed there about 25 years ago but I don't really remember much about that stay. What I can say is everything looked new to us. I like the homey feel of the lobby. The beds were very comfortable and there was good HDTV reception. The free WiFi was very fast. I did a speed test and had a signal of 19-20 MPS in our room. That is the fastest I have received in any hotel. The service was excellent. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star rating was the food was good but not great. We drove there and I parked my own car which they allow. The only problem is that the parking garage is very tight. It would be very easy to scratch a fender so you have to take the curves at 1-2 miles an hour. Still you will not be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2012

nice rooms, friendly staff, but too expensive for what you get, there are a couple other options in the galleria for the equivalent amount of money and much nicer... the two restaurants are excellent, but again there are tons of restaurants in the area..
I don't think I will stay there again.

1  Thank mauriciotorey