“3 times, not a charm”

Motel 6 Houston West- Energy Corridor
Ranked #427 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I'm 60 years old and in my life I have stayed at a ton of hotels but this was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I had booked 3 nights several days earlier than checkin date. A few hours before my first night I called them to let them know I wouldn't be in the first night because of change in plans but I didn't mind them charging me for it but to NOT change my booking for the other 2 nights. The next day I checked in late, sometime after midnight. When I walked in the lobby I didn't see anybody. I saw an empty cola can laying in the middle of the floor on the other side of the counter and a pair of work gloves on the counter. I said "is anybody there", and saw a head pop up behind a little desk in the corner. Black lady had been sleeping. She looked up but didn't even look at me and didn't even get up until I said I need to check in. She finally got up and slowly walked up to the counter. I asked her about the cola can and she just mumbled. She told me my booking had been canceled. "WHAT?" I told her I had called the day before to let them know I wouldn't be there that first night but was told there would be no problem. But,,, there was. It took forever for her to get me a room. I went to the room and swiped the keypad and started to open the door but when it opened a couple inches it stopped and in such a way that told me the slider safety lock is what stopped the door and that meant it was occupied. I heard someone stir inside but I said "I'm sorry" and I quickly walked away thinking the next thing I'd hear would be a gunshot. That room wasn't close to the office and I had to walk back down the stairs with loaded arms with my luggage to go back down to the office. Told her what happened, took several minutes for her to give me another room. Went to that room, this one further away than the first, and when I went inside I noticed it wasn't clean. Looked like someone had just slept in it and left. By now it's VERY late and I'm VERY tired from working long hours that day. Went back to the office with all my stuff and told her what happened. This time I told her she would have to go check the next room out first because I wasn't going to go through this again. She sent the on duty Sheriff to the next room. He returned and said it was fine. Well everything wasn't fine. After I finally got to sleep around 3 AM I was awakened about 3 hours later by the worst smell of cigarette smoke I'd ever smelled. She had put me in a "smoking allowed" room and the occupant in the room next door was smoking. The smoke was coming into my room through the adjoining room door between us. I'm an ex smoker and normally the smell of cigarettes doesn't smell like that smelled. It was "B-A-D". It was mixed in with the overall smell of the room, which was not good at all. So I had a dentist appointment that morning at 9. I god very little sleep. I went to another hotel down the street for the following night. This was the worst experience EVER in my life with a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Houston West- Energy Corridor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Denny, Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay as a result of the inconveniences you experienced with the size of the room and the comfort of your bed during your recent stay. Please know the window condition you describe is an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize for the noise inconvenience you describe. We are glad to be able to provide Wi-Fi to our guests and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our policy. Motel 6 standards for quality rest on our promise to offer the lowest price of any national chain by delivering the essential elements of a comfortable room for a satisfying stay, for this reason, we apologize for the disappointment you describe with the expectations of amenities. The service issues you describe are atypical to Motel 6 standards for quality, and we are sorry you experienced less than satisfying service during your visit. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

This place has really gone downhill in short time. Stayed for four nights and only received housekeeping once. Even after complaining they did it one day and not the next. Upon arrival I noticed a couple of nasty looking pieces of pizza in the corner of the third floor hallway. When I left four days later it was still there.

Room Tip: choose another place
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurel F
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Houston West- Energy Corridor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2016

Dear Laurel,
Thank you for sharing your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. The service issues you describe are atypical to Motel 6 standards for quality, and we are sorry you experienced less than satisfying service during your visit. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. My apt ac went out and wouldn't be fixed for a few days and this hotel did the trick. I like the new modern look they have with the table and bench cushions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the office.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Nasty as heck. I was greated by roaches at the front of my room. I didn't stay a full night afraid of bedbugs or any other thing that could be caught from the nasty room. When I seen a officer on duty there I kind of got a chill I mean why is he even needed?
The only thing I was greatful for was the fact the lady allowed me to get my money back

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2016

I booked the hotel because of it's location. On arrival the check-in took a long time, but the staff fine. The room itself seems clean, but I had my doubts. The hotel was nothing special. There were no food places nearby so your own transport is essential.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends