“Allergic people beware” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 499 Hotels in Houston
San Francisco
“Allergic people beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I am highly allergic to down and feathers (I have a set of symptoms I only get from an exposure), and I requested a room that was free of them. Pillows from a regular room were removed but it appeared they missed something as I got sick. My room was changed, but the new room was still clearly not down free and as a result I got acutely ill which snowballed to serious repercussions to my health. This is an older hotel that has not been updated and the windows do not open so the rooms has recirculated air. I travel frequently and hotels usually have designated rooms for this all too common allergy, they do not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Aahlife
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The bad first.....

It smelled like a sewer outside my room in the hall. Like a bit o' pee and a bit o' poo.

I don't like Houston. The city shuts down at night. There's nothing to do or eat (see my review of the Hard Rock!) Now, that's not the Doubletree's doing, nor does that affect my review. I just thought I would throw that in there.

The good...

Good value for the money. Room was clean. Smell from the hall never made it as far as the interior of the room.

Nice staff. Good location in the loop. Nice lobby.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Bingbangboing
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback on your stay with us. We will look into the order smell as well. We hope you choose us on your return visit to Houston!
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Location is not great for restaurants and attractions, but they offer a nice shuttle. Front desk and breakfast staff were very friendly. And helpful. Rooms are ok but I was on the Hh floor and surprised by how much noise traveled between rooms.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown for your stay while visiting Houston! We appreciate your feedback and I hope we are the top of your list when you return to Houston!
Garland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly upon registration and we were up in our room WITH the delicious cookies they offer at checkin within minutes. Our room was very nice, huge bathroom for a change. The bath tub was unusually big so I quickly set up a bubble bath to relax after being on my feet all day. Wonderful. I LOVE the Evelyn and Crabtree soaps/shampoo/cond that they offer so much that I am searching out a store to purchase some. I was so tired and my bed was so comfortable I barely was up to check out timely! Nice. Quiet. Comfortable. A real winner in my book!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown! Please keep us in mind on your return visit to Houston.
Kemah, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was there for an all-day meeting yesterday. First off they wouldn't valet park my car because I wasn't there for photo fest even though I was there for a big meeting. It was a major rainy daybin Houston. So, I parked about 4 buildings away so I could use the walkways to get to the hotel. I get to the front and they tell me the meeting is canceled. I walk all the way back to my car only to have my office tell me it is not canceled. I go back to the front desk and they told me they made a mistake. The rest of the day went ok but needless to say I won't be scheduling anymore meetings there. FYI tripadvisor made me rate the rooms and value. I didn't stay in the room so I gave it a good rating to be fair.

• Stayed March 2012