“Small place”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed 27 December 2014

This is a small place for Puerto Rican food. MY friend and I ordered different things and both agreed it was good. I would visit again if I don't find anything else close by. Only problem is Parking.

Reviewed 20 October 2014

Having visited Puerto Rico may times, I was very happy to have this little place to satisfy my mofongo cravings. Problem is that lately the food is very greasy, leaving me with upset stomach every time I go. Please make better, I need a good mofongo provider nearby!

Reviewed 14 September 2014 via mobile

I had very high hopes for this Restaurant. I LOVE PR food. Just moved to Houston and needed a fix. Pork chop was good, however rice and beans were just ok. I was hoping for more taste in the beans. The Mofongo was very good, however made with meat instead of pork. First time for that, however I would be willing to stop by on way home for take out. Dining area entirely too small and had DJ taking up NEEDED space in dining area but was nice hearing PR music...

Reviewed 27 May 2014

we went to this place for late lunch, the two guys working there were very friendly. I order Monfogo with Octopus as well as a Steak with Onions. the food was amazing and we highly suggest the place if you try authentic Puerto-rican cuisine.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Located on a narrow street, this tiny place probably looks like it could be in Puerto Rico. But it's in the Midtown section of Houston, an old neighborhood near downtown that is in transition. There are shabby store fronts that have long since shut down, sitting next to million dollar new homes that sit across from mechanic shops. Houston is infamous for no-zoning, and somehow it works and even makes sense to us Houstonians!

It's easy to miss Tex-Chick--it's smaller than tiny, there's no signage (just the Puerto Rican flag) and parking is on the side of the street, if you can find a space. But the local Puerto Rican residents seem to love it and the family who has run it for years.

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about Puerto Rican food. But I know what I like, so I'll give you my impression after only one visit. I've had mofongo once before, and I thought Tex-Chick's was stiffer, drier than I remember it. Fried pork, however, was tender & tasty. I'm not sure how they do rice & beans, but they tasted like they came out of a Mexican restaurant. Good, but I'm wondering if they are supposed to taste that way??

The pork, rice, beans plate (no bread) is priced at $12. Adding mofongo and a canned soda brought the tab to over $18, and that seems too expensive to me.

2  Thank sandydavis