“Fun night out”
Review of Houston Symphony

Houston Symphony
Ranked #41 of 318 things to do in Houston
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I confess to being a symphony newbie so... I really enjoyed my first experience here. Very grand and elegant. Not really knowing the music per se didn't' seem to affect my overall experience. I found the experience moving. So if your friend or significant other wants to go and you've never been I recommend dipping your toes in the water!

Reviewed 30 January 2017

If you like classical music or want to hear classical music, go to Houston Symphony. It is a great orchestra and Jones Hall is magnificent. Best seats are balcony. Velvet seats are comfortable and it must seat at least 2000 or 2500. It was full when I went on Jan. 2017. It is worth hearing great music.

1  Thank Margarettenola
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Anytime James Gaffigan is conducting is great. So charismatic so much energy don't get me wrong the orchestra is great too. The oboe horns harp just beautiful. I went twice to the same concert.

Reviewed 16 January 2017

If the experience my wife and I had is any indication of the typical performance level of the Houston Symphony, this is an attraction not to be missed if you are in the Houston area during this group's season. This orchestra's riveting performance of Mahler's Symphony No. 1, in particular, was a musical experience I will long remember. I also enjoyed the conductor's interviews of the two winners of the Houston Symphony’s first Young Composer Competition, and it was quite nice to hear the performances of the two winning pieces.

Reviewed 9 January 2017

The venue is excellent for a concert. We sat on the second level, and the view was good. They decorated the building very nicely with the Christmas theme.

I gave the Venue and the Symphony a 4 - Very Good. Very Merry Pops a 3 - average

This was the second time we went to the Very Merry Pops. The first time we went, the show was fantastic.

This time, it was so-so. The vocalists from Frozen that they brought out were okay. They played a lot of obscure Christmas songs. I wish they would stick to the classics.

Our son is 6 years old. This was his first Christmas concert. At first, he enjoyed it, but then he grew tired.

It will be a while before we ever come back to the Very Merry Pops.