“It was close to work and home but that's about all I've got”

Studio 6 Houston-Hobby
Ranked #351 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 16 March 2016

I was just here for 2 weeks while my condo was renovated. I got a great weekly rate ($235). The room itself is small, plenty of outlets and lighting, and there is a kitchenette which I used regularly. The problem is that their non-smoking rooms aren't really non-smoking. Smoke and smells come in from other rooms and every time I walked into the room, it was bad. When I moved back into my condo, the horrible smell was obvious on all of my clothes. I couldn't even put them in my closet, and had to wash everything before putting it away (even if I hadn't worn it). The other issue is that there is virtually zilch in the way of maid service. (I bought my own broom while I was there so I could keep the floor swept). The maid comes in once a week, leaves towels on the bed or in the bathroom, sometimes takes away the old towels and sometimes doesn't. If you want new towels before the week is up, you have to take your towels down to the office and trade them out. Also, the maid didn't check up on my toilet paper situation, and I ran out of it. Good thing I had my own wipes to use that night and I went to the office the next morning. The reason I chose this hotel is because it was equidistant from home and work, and very close to decent restaurants (Schlotsky's, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's and Chili's within walking distance). Now for the really really bad about this property: My car was keyed one night (a 2-3" spot). There appear to be people who "live" here and think certain parking spots are theirs, and if you come in late, the parking is iffy, at best. I'm pretty positive there is drug activity at this property as well (I wouldn't say this lightly, it's a riff-raffy kinda place). People also sometimes congregate on the landings and walkways to smoke and talk loudly. I had a guest stay with me a few nights and was most comfortable there those nights, but as a single female, I didn't sleep that great on the nights I was alone. I talked to another lady several rooms down from mine and she said she had several roaches the first morning she was there. I didn't see one roach my entire stay, so that was good. The wifi was some kind of joke. They told me they charged for it but would give me the code for free. It's a good thing, because it was unusable - the 4g on my phone worked waaaay better. I couldn't wait to get back into my smoke free condo and comfy bed. This is no vacation spot. If you're not trying to stay weekly and cheaply, pass this up and pay a little more elsewhere.

Room Tip: Only stay if weekly (about $325 w/tax). Get a downstairs "non-smoking" room away from sta...
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Studio 6 Houston-Hobby, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2016

Dear JWistin,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest, and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the noise concerns you describe. Safety and security are high priorities within Motel 6 standards for quality and we regret you felt differently during your visit. Motel 6 standards for quality rest on our promise to offer the lowest price of any national chain by delivering the essential elements of a comfortable room for a satisfying stay, for this reason we apologize for the disappointment you describe in the expectations of amenities. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2015

I stayed here for a night before my friend joined me and it is a decent place. There are quite a few shops around for any needs. Trouble with other inmates is what turned me off-a drunk person residing in my side room disturbed me few times during the night thus depriving me of a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I don't know what gives...

I'm staying here as I write this review and just for smiles and giggles I decided to read the reviews. One of the reviewers states that there are no restaurants within walking distance (2/2009). That really got my goat, thus prompting this little impromptu retort. There's a Schlotzky's 100 feet away and an Olive Garden right after that! Across the street are other places to eat. Seriously, what's with these people flat out lying?!

Anyways, I stay here while I wait to ship out in the merchant marines. It's nice, it's clean, it's pretty inexpensive. The only downside is the internet is slow, but it only cost me $5 for my entire stay. Oh, and unlike a regular Motel 6, the lobby doesn't have someone in it 24/7. The lobby closes down at night but there's a courtesy phone to call up whoever's on watch (for lack of a better expression).

I like it here. I'd like to find a place closer to downtown, which is where I commute to, but the price and convenience make this place hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank xNateX
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I will never stay here again. At check the front desk clerk was very rude and then once i got my room and went in it was an old smell in the room. The blanket had burn holes them. I over looked it since it was only one night. I just rooled it back and used the other to sit on. Once settled I went to shower when i grabbed the wsh cloth it was a weird color so i got the towel and opene it and it looked dirty. They didnt smell clean... really had no fresh smell at all but didnt stink. As far going back... no.. no... no... never..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kamryn B
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Desk clerk made you feel you were doing her a favor by staying there. Coffee cup had a lipstick stain on it. Sheet clean but with cigarette holes in it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DappChi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
4.9 km away
2.1 km away
Island Suites Hobby Airport
Island Suites Hobby Airport
#312 of 518 in Houston

Been to Studio 6 Houston-Hobby? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK