“An unplanned stay was an unexpected pleasure”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houston Intercontinental Airport South
Ranked #306 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“An unplanned stay was an unexpected pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I hadn't planned to overnight in Houston but circumstances did not allow me to continue an international itinerary. I made the reservation at Comfort hurriedly through an airline web site and specified a non-smoking room with a king bed and asked for a quiet location.
When I arrived my room was waiting--and it was a non-smoking room with a king bed at the end of the hallway. An amazingly comfortable room, as well. Big flat-screen TV, an easy chair with ottoman, desk, high-speed wifi and ethernet access, small fridge, microwave, wonderful pillow on a comfy bed, and a very nicely appointed bathroom with lots of hot water for that much-needed shower. I didn't need the iron and ironing board but they were there if I'd needed them.
Airport shuttle was quick from IAH, and the driver even offered to go through a fast food drive-thru if I was hungry and didn't feel like walking to nearby places for a late dinner. Those nearby places included a pizzaria, a Subway, and a couple of non-chain casual places, all within about 200 yards of the hotel.
I was very impressed by the quiet and comfort of the hotel. Even when I tried I could barely hear traffic or aircraft. The public areas looked very clean and well-kept. My room was as close to spotless as I could ever expect.
There is a small swimming pool and an adequate guests-only exercise room. Oh, and in the lobby there's a collection of books. Take what you want to read and return it to any Country Inn. A nice, thoughtful touch.
The registration procedure was a piece of cake, no issues whatsoever, and the young lady at the front desk could not have been nicer.
I left on the 6:30AM shuttle (it was on time, too) so I missed the complimentary breakfast (it opens at 6AM weekdays, 7AM weekends and holidays). But I did see a hotel employee organizing the buffet: waffle maker, a chafing dish for some kind of heated item, cereals, four kinds of juices, and assorted pastries. It didn't look like just "cheap carbs" alone but a reasonably decent selection for a complimentary buffet.
Would I stay here again? Yes, most certainly. I've stayed at the big-name airport hotel at IAH multiple times, but the Comfort Inn provided me with 90% of the comfort and convenience for about 35% of the price.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms may tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Houston_TXManager, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houston Intercontinental Airport South, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear JVDonnant:

So pleased to hear of your positive experience with us at the Comfort Suites Houston Bush Airport. We look forward to your return with open arms. Your comments were warming and well received by the team.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We have had great experiences with this chain of hotels in the past, so we were looking forward to a good night's sleep after a long airplane flight. The shuttle service picked us up relatively quickly, but when when we went to check in, we were informed that they no longer had any non-smoking rooms. We noted that we had a reservation but were given a rather long and convoluted reason as to why that did not matter. The room was so bad that we could smell the smoke long before we even got close to the door. Opening the windows did not help, nor did the aerosol spray that we got when we went back to the front desk to complain, To their credit, they did finally contact the neighboring Comfort Inn and arrange for us to receive a room at the same price....but we wasted an hour in the process. They could have told us right up front that there were no non-smoking rooms left, instead of letting us go the room, find out, come back to the front desk, etc. Perhaps more training is required...this hotel is managed by an outside vendor.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
a p, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houston Intercontinental Airport South, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Dear og84,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback. We apologize for the experience you had with the room and the front desk. We have re-trained the front desk and housekeeping so this doesn't happen again. The next time you stay with us and if for some reason anything does come up, please have the front desk call me, Terry (General Manager), on my cell phone. I will take care of the problem ASAP. Thank you for your review and if you are ever in Houston again, please consider us to be home away from home.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

I booked this hotel using Orbitz. Upon checking in I we entered the room wanting to shower after traveling all day. The room had no towels or wash cloths. Upon calling the front desk for towels, we were told we would be brought some as soon as they finished washing them. I tought this is odd.

Finally recieved towels and wash cloths. Upon laying on the beds, we found the pillows to smell badly of dirty hair, but the rest of the bedding seemed clean. We went out and purchased new pillows and pillow cases to sleep on, because there was no way i was sleeping on the ones they provided.

The next day we returned to our room around noon to shower and take a nap prior to attending a funeral. We found our room stripped of all bedding, towels and wash cloths. I called the front desk to find out why we had nothing to use in our room, only to be told the hotel does not have enough linens to remove the used and replace with clean until they wash them first, then the room will be restocked.

So basically you can sleep there at night if you bring your own pillows, but during the day you have no use of your room, unless you wanna sit on a bare mattress and watch TV.

I attempted to check out of this hotel after the second day, only to find out Country Inn and Suites refused to refund me for my unused days. There was no way i was staying there 5 more nights. Tryed explaining the problems to hotel manager, but she was not interested. She told me I could check out but I would not get a refund of my unused nights.

After about 2 hours of phone calls, I was able to speak with the Regional General Manager for Counrty Inn and Suites. He agreed with my complaints, stating he had never heard of one of there hotels not having the linens to replace them once they were removed. He took my phone number, and said he would call me back after he contacted the hotel. He returned my call about 5 minutes later telling me that I would be refunded for my unsed nights.

Take my advise, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gary34580
a p, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houston Intercontinental Airport South, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Dear Gary34580,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us your feedback. We apologize for the experience you had with housekeeping at our hotel. This is not at all indicative of how we run our property and we will try our hardest not to have this happen again. In the future have the front desk call me on my cell (Ask for Terry) and I will take care of you personally. Thank you for your review and if you are ever in Houston again, please consider us to be home away from home.
San Mateo, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

This is a fine place to stay for an airport layover, if you're staying longer you'll probably look elsewhere. It's only a 10-15 minute ride from IAH (quick and efficient shuttle service). Airport noise at night is not noticeable. Rooms look just like every other Country Inn, everything clean and functioning. Staff is friendly without being obsequious. It has a minuscule pool and exercise room, but everything was in good shape. Free wi-fi. Free hot breakfast buffet - not gourmet, but better than the donut tray that passes for "breakfast" in some chains.

No restaurant. If you arrive hungry, they do have delivery service. A half block north you'll find a strip mall with a Chinese place, a Subway, and a dive bar. Or there's a decent 24 hour diner on the other side of the scary looking highway. You can't see it because of the overpass, but walk about a block south to find a crossing.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

This place is not the Hilton but for $70 it was a great deal at Houston's Intercontinental Airport. The night I stayed there most other hotels were sold out due to some large event at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

The hotel uses a funky smelling cleaning compound which is not inviting, but my room was clean and I had a good night sleep.

Upon check in late that night the lady at the front desk was very nice. The next morning when I checked out and asked for a 'zero balance' invoice, a different staff member rolled her eyes at me.

The best about this place was the breakfast. Much better than your regular Hampton Inn breakfast.

I probably will stay there again when I am on a low budget.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Stardustme:

Thank you for your gracious comments about your experience at the Comfort Suites Houston Bush Airport. Your remarks about the hospitality you received has been shared with our team members and is an inspiration to them. We promise to do our best to replicate the service you received the next time your travel brings you back to our property.