“MF Great Sushi!”

Ranked #350 of 8,990 Restaurants in Houston
Neighbourhood: The Museum District
Neighbourhood: The Museum District
Reviewed 9 August 2021

Visited MF to celebrate my friends birthday and it was an amazing omakase experience.

Here is why...

Sat at the omakase bar which did not have a divider which is most common at other sushi restaurants, so you have a clear line of view on the sushi prep. The ingredients are all flown in from Japan. The sushi was perfectly sliced and seasoned and came out at a great pace. The chefs were awesome, super attentive and focused on their craft, especially Chris who was serving us that night.

I've dined at many sushi restaurants around the world but MF Sushi is definitely a hidden gem and easily ranks in my top 3. The decor is exquisite and this restaurant is definitely geared towards date nights and folks who really enjoy a tasteful dining experience.

Their staff was super attentive, approachable and everyone was fully masked up which had their own cool restaurant logo.

If you do visit this place, I would highly recommend to kick it off with omakase which unfortunately requires you to make a reservations well in advance but it's absolutely worth it!

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (45)

Reviewed 14 June 2021

Another dinner at MF, another quality meal. One of the most consistent and reliable sushi experiences in all of Houston for both food and service. The real highlight of this trip was the Baked Lobster Tempura dish that I had for the first time. Easily one of the best sushi appetizers I've ever had! That paired perfectly with the nigiri and rolls we ordered, including the tasty A5 Wagyu roll. The food took a little longer than I remember to come out, but the service was great once again. From the spot-on recommendations to the frequent check-ins, Kyle did a great job throughout our dinner. Looking forward to our next dinner at MF for sure.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 23 November 2020 via mobile

The experience at MF may satisfy one’s urge for good sushi. Uni from Hokkaido was applaudable. Otoro was cut properly.

Nevertheless, sushi rolls were forgettable and were as horrific as the managers. I was there to celebrate my birthday with a very close friend. Our server Will was a professional but the manager was deplorable. I had booked MF via opentable since I had good sushi experience at MF before.

However tonight, we were forced to move to two different tables on two occasions within 30 min to accommodate the walk-in Caucasian patrons. It was extremely racist and unjust to force us to move table two times during our meal to accommodate walk in Caucasian groups with the assumptions that they will pay more. Other Caucasian patrons were not asked to move at any rate.

We came for a fabulous experience and we left with a bitter pill in our mouth. On a side note, our wallet was not thin and our credit score was on top 1%. Who wanted to relocate to a new table table twice with a sad offer of a round of drinks?

We fully understood that maximizing money during Covid must be everything but reshuffling your very own Asian customers to different smaller tables within 30 min TWICE for milking profit from Caucasian customers is uncalled for.

We will never visit this place again and would recommend you to think twice to visit this deplorable establishment.

Date of visit: November 2020
7  Thank sffred2015
Reviewed 25 October 2020 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant. Whether was because of the ambience of the restaurant, the excellent preparation and presentation, or the excellent staff—or all of it together—this restaurant stood out among other sushi restaurants we have visited around the world. What’s really unique that their 5 sushi chefs work out in the open on a low open counter so the restaurant clientele can see every step of the sushi making process. The food is pricey, but it’s worth the cost.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank Skibumdude
Reviewed 12 February 2020

When you visit a place that has this kind of high end sushi, the mind naturally starts to wander wander and wonder: is this the best sushi in town? While I can't definitively call it #1, it HAS to be in the top 3, and many will consider it the best of the best. If you like sushi, this is an absolute required destination in Houston.

Date of visit: September 2019