“Ms.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 281 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Health Museum has interactive exhibits on health, medical science and the human body. Walk through a brain and an eyeball, test your reflexes and experience a 4D theater.
Houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ms.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

If you have never been to the Museum of Health & Medical Science well you're in for a treat if you decide to go and they have a 4D film showing; if you have never seen a 4D film be prepared to be misted with some water! My child and I enjoy going here especially when they have a new exhibit showing. Not only is it an educational museum but since it is smaller in size (that's a good thing) than the other nearby museums and never crowded we enjoy this museum more than the others in Houston. I would highly recommend buying a membership to this museum since they rotate exhibits every few months and I love attending the Halloween and Christmas activities they have here much more than the ones they have at the Houston Children's Museum or the Natural Science Museum.

1 Thank ilivetoshoponline
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Houston, Texas
“needs updating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

We went there two weeks ago, after having seen the high rating and were disappointed. A lot of the interactive stalls were either out of order or not working. Was not impressed with the shop either.

Baton Rouge, La.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A Neat Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

This was a neat little gem that we stumbled onto. It was included in the Houston City Pass-definately WORTH every penny! Find them online, and save big bucks!

My kids, 5 and 11, loved this pace as much as any place else we went. We spent 3 hours here, and could have spent more. The staff is VERY friendly, accessible, and knowledgeable. There was an exhibit on cartoon animation that I found interesting, and my daughter, the 11 year old, and I watched a sheep brain dissection, which was very thorough and informative. No live sheep were harmed, and all done in good taste, nothing that would scare little ones.
There was also a 3D and 4D movies, but we had other obligations and didn't get to see those, although they looked fascinating. There were mock-ups of various pieces of the body, internal and external, and plenty of hands-on for all ages of kids. There is an exhibit that "ages" you, and now I'm more worried about what my future holds, after seeing the picture. maybe it served it's purpose, to get people to worry about their health!
There are snack machines, but no food area, and parking is abundant. $3 will allow you in the lot, or free parking on the street. It is within walking distance of other museums, though, so it is possible to park once and leave the car.
The prices are very reasonable, and it is a very enjoyable place.

3 Thank sascoach2003
Lafayette, Louisiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“My kids' #1 choice for Houston area museums.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I took my four youngest kids (ages 7-13) to the Museum of Health and Medical Science as part of our Houston museum tour trip. We visited during free admission hours on a Thursday.

This museum was hands-down my kids' favorite museum out of the thirteen we visited during our stay in Houston. As size goes, the museum is smaller in comparison to others of the same caliber, but the quality of exhibits is unparalleled.

Every exhibit is engaging, interactive, and absolutely unique. "You: The Exhibit" was my kids' favorite out of everything they saw during our trip. Exhibits included: "What would you look like if you were another gender/race?", "How long will you live?", "How tall will you grow?", "How does the world view you?", and much more.

We also visited the "Amazing Body Pavilion" exhibit, which featured giant organs (like a rib cage on the ceiling and a huge brain in the center of the area) and informational booths which explained the function of every system of the body (including digestion, circulation, and reproduction (tastefully done)).

Kiosks in the center of the complex offer several hands-on brain-teasers, some classic and some new. We spent the last fifteen minutes of our visit trying to solve these as individuals and as a group.

What made the Health Museum so attractive wasn't the size or the fun things to do, but instead, the way the museum asks kids truly intriguing questions about themselves and provides engaging, interactive ways to answer them!

All-thumbs up from our family!

2 Thank AilinaL
Montgomery, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Another Cool Place to Take the Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

I am guessing that it is no accident that this museum is located just behind the Childrens Museum because the Health Museum is aimed directly at kids. All of the exhibits are designed from a perspective of teaching kids about health and trying to foster an interest in the medical field.

There is a 4D movie that plays at the top of every hour that is worth taking the time to check out. They have a permanent exhibit called "You: The Exhibit" that has great visuals and lots of interactivity for preteens & under.

They have a bunch of classroom space where they have classes for school kids on a regular basis.

We'll be back even though you can see everything in about 2-3 hours.

2 Thank SlyFox_TX