“Best hotel in Houston”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Best hotel in Houston”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I visit Houston regularly for business, and this is definitely the best hotel in Houston. It's definitely an older caliber hotel for sure and compared to the St. Regis in San Francisco or Mexico City, it's not going to blow you away, but it's amazingly comfortable and feels very tucked away and private from the sprawling disaster that is the city of Houston. When I checked into the room in the evening, it was turned down for the night. In classic St. Regis style, no stone was unturned. The bed was ready, the water was there, the curtains were closed. It felt relaxing and zen like and after a long day of travel it was exactly what I needed. I was really impressed with the chamber service all together and impressed by the consistent service delivery day in-day out that I received in my room. The hotel is older but in great condition with no visible wear an tear that I could see. the furnishings and artwork made my room feel like a deluxe bedroom. I had the best nights sleep in this hotel with silky soft sheets, this is one of the best sleeps you will have in Houston. The gym was great for a hotel gym and offered a nice range of equipment for a work out on the road. The pool area is also very secluded and quiet. The only complaint is the $31 valet parking. Really St. Regis? It's Houston, not New York. To get around it the next few nights I parked across the street in a parking garage for $5 a night. Unless you prefer to throw money away I highly suggest you do the same. That's it, my only complaint was the parking. Otherwise this hotel is wonderful and I highly recommend you stay here!

Room Tip: Park across the street to save a fortune on parking.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank anthonytravels
srhouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
It was a real pleasure to read the recap of your stay at our Hotel recently. Yes, we are away
from the bustling crowd but just a short distance from the Galleria and easy to get to 610.
Many of our staff are long-tenured associates who year after year pride themselves on personal service to our guests.

Just last year we completed a renovation of the mezzanine level and ballroom and wil be
doing an update on the lobby level this summer.

I regret that you found the parking charge to be too much, but it is the standard parking fee
for any luxury hotel in any major city.

Hope to welcome you back again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Normally 5* is a bit out of my budget, but due to fortuitous priceline and some luck my wife and I ended up here for a long Houston weekend. I have no doubt that this was a really, really fancy hotel in the early 1980s when it was built (as, I think, a Ritz Carlton) but it feels very dated today, and the lobby maintains its 80s splendor (think lots of chrome and marble). However -- rooms are very large and comfortable, service is top notch.

Didn't try the bar or restaurant. Internet is *not* free - if you're cheap (in which case you probably aren't staying here) there's a Starbucks 2 blocks towards the loop.

Didn't feel like dealing w/the valet parking, there is unlimited street parking always available directly across Brair Oaks from the hotel entrance -- and I think a safe area to leave a car.

Pretty good central location, though not a lot within walking - a Starbucks and an Antone's 2 blocks west on San Felipe and a Target across the street is about it. But, this is Houston, right? Who walks anywhere?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
srhouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you very much your sharing your observations during your stay at our Hotel recently.
For your information the lobby level will be undergoing a complete renovation this Summer; perhaps you will want to come back and visit to the transformation.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,185 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I recently met in Houston to visit friends and stayed 3 nights at the St. Regis. We normally would opt for a Four Seasons, but the reviews here and comments from our friends both suggested that we would prefer the St. Regis for both its location and accommodations. I believe this was the right choice.

We paid an extra fee to upgrade to a junior suite. The junior suite was located adjacent to the elevators, which worried me a bit, but we never heard them at all.

The room was spacious with a bedroom area separated with a min wall across from the bed, allowing access on both sides to/from the regular living room and work space. It was more separated than a traditional junior suite which just has an extra seating area with no definition of bedroom and living room spaces, and we liked that separation.

The living room was a bit weirdly laid out, in our estimation. The living space was comfortable and with nice furniture looking at the TV on a cabinet in front of the mini-wall mentioned above. The work space desk, however, was diagonally placed in an awkward position leaving little room to easily access it--it felt like the hotel had bought too large a desk and just forced it into the space. The overall effect was definitely forced and awkward. It seemed like with a little rearrangement, the effect could have been improved.

The bathroom was smaller than we would have guessed, but of an "average" size, we suppose. There was a single vanity and a tub/shower, as well as toilet. We would have expected a larger bath for a junior suite.

For a traditional luxury business hotel, the junior suite lacked for electrical outlets for us to charge our many devices. The only accessibly outlet was next to the desk. We had to pull the couch from the wall to access a second plug. Unimpressive, in our estimation, in this day and age. Even a plug strip with extra plugs would have been a nice touch.

The room also had a solid wall of glass looking out onto the pool deck area...but the curtains were arranged such that it was impossible to fully open them or slide them back to allow more natural light into the living or bed areas. Very odd and bad design there, when so much natural light would otherwise be available. The room was very dark, on the other hand, except for the surprising amount of light escaping through the room door from the hallway. A little annoying for those of us who like complete darkness.

We had breakfast thrice in the restaurant. The weekend menu seemed more limited than it was on Friday morning. That being said, the food was fantastic, though service was little slow and a bit uneven between the various meals. Everyone was very friendly, however, and always trying to help.

Service overall was great. However, we did have a blunder soon after arrival when the internet would not accept both of our names for registration--despite the fact that we had previously made sure both our names were listed on the room (as we arrived at different times). When I called to figure it out, I was put on hold for several minutes then transferred twice before finally getting a hold of someone. When it didn't work out again, I was erroneously transferred the concierge after some time. They were supposed to provide us some sort of compensation as a result, according to the front desk manager with whom I finally spoke, but no one ever followed up to ensure that out wireless internet was working properly and/or to offer us any sort of compensation for our trouble. Not impressive. But otherwise, the service was quite flawless.

Overall, we had a very positive experience. The smaller bath and odd layout/curtains for the junior suite and initial service glitch and lack of follow-through cause me to give only 4 out of 5 stars, but we would definitely stay here again and give the property a second chance, perhaps in a larger suite to get the larger bath and more plugs we so prefer. We certainly liked the location, as we were only 10-15 minutes from pretty much everywhere we ended up going around the city to see our various friends, including shopping at the nearby Galleria, a fantastic dinner at nearby America's, and another nice dinner downtown.

This was our first St. Regis visit in many years, and overall we really liked the hotel--especially compared to other hotels in Houston. They could use some brush-up on service and their design could use some tweaking in the room, but otherwise it was a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bill R
srhouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you for caring so much to share your recent experience at The St. Regis Houston to visit friends. Your input with regard to the layout and accoutrements of the junior suite are appreciated and will be shared with additional management at the Hotel.

Many of the staff here at the Hotel are long-term associates who pride themselves on providing personalized service to our guests. Your comments with regard to their caring service will be passed along to them.

My apologies for the inconvenience you encounted with the internet service and most definitely someone here should have followed up with you to ensure it was all in order for you both. As this is an anonymous review I am unable to follow up on the offer of compensation from the Front Desk Manager and I am embarrassed if it did not happen.

Look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Houston.
Caversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have to be in Houston quite regularly on business and I always stay at this hotel (we have a corporate rate). Last week's stay, while brief, was as pleasant as always. I had a minor niggle in the restaurant about breakfast and they immediately took the charge off of my bill and then called my room afterwards to apologise.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
srhouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for your kind review from last week. So nice to hear that your stays with us are
always so enjoyable. My apologies for the restaurant breakfast glitch but pleased the
staff responded so quickly.
Madisonville, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at St. Regis- Houston in July. We were in Houston for my husband's eye surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. The staff was aware and made every attempt to accomodate us. The room was beautiful and quiet, which was perfect for my ailing husband; and the pool and bar were a great distraction for me while he was resting. The hotel car took us to dinner both nights and our medical stay turned out to be quite enjoyable. Thanks St. Regis for a wonderfully luxurious experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura N
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel during the medical visit for your husband.
How nice it was to read that our hotel was a haven for you, quiet and restful. Look forward to
welcoming you back again soon.

w