“Still a great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express Harlingen
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Still a great place to stay”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

This was my third consecutive year staying a week at a time at this location, which ought to say something in itself. This year, I stayed in one of the suites ( the upgrade was relatively inexpensive and gave me a refer and microwave, helpful since I kept unusual hours and needed to do a little in-room cooking). I love the location, just a few blocks from the Convention Center (my base of operations during the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival) and within walking distance of several restaurants. The staff has been very friendly and helpful in the past; this year was no exception. When my hours let me partake of the breakfast, it proved to be as good as the best I have had at any HIE.; said another way, it is one of the top two I've encountered in my travels with respect to item selection and quality. The only drawback at this hotel for some people (but not me, obviously) is that the room had a slight musty smell to it; I was told this was a remnant of damage caused by the hurricane that ran up the Rio Grande Valley in the summer of 2008. A large part of the city got flooded during that hurricane, so its having left something behind was not a surprise to me. (And the musty smell was considerably reduced from what it was when I stayed here in November 2008, just months after it went through.) Management told me, in a call to me following my stay, that they continue to actively work the problem. And it's a smell, not a health issue, from my experience. Once I'd been in the room for a few minutes, I no longer noticed it. Otherwise, absolutely no complaints about the room or any other part of the hotel or the service. This has been and will be my choice of place to stay when in Harlingen.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank WYbirdwatcher
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Houston, TX
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Room was clean, staff was friendly, no problems at all. Just what you'd expect for the money in this location. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 19 December 2008

Not much to say. If you been to a Holiday Inn Express that are pretty consistent. This one is no different. Nothing too exciting but it's a reliable place to stay.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
Reviewed 19 October 2008

When I returned to my room on 9/25, my room key did not work. I visited the front desk, and was told that I had checked out earlier in the day (I am the only one who visited the hotel). I was informed that a male had come to the front desk and said that my room was checked out. The HI manager (J.Villareal)confirmed by giving my name to the person, and closed the room reservation. I was not contacted by anyone at HI, and the HI employee was nonplussed when I asked to be re-assigned to a different room. She did not understand how giving my name to the male who "checked out" of my room was a security breach. The man now had my name and room number...she did not understand. She also refused to allow me to speak to the manager. It was strange to say the least.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank melr99
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2008

This hotel was in a nice location and was very clean. They had wired internet service which I prefer. The big thing that was wrong with the room was the tile floor in the bathroom. It became like ice when it got wet. A very poor design for a bathroom. The breakfast was so-so. They were not very good about refilling things that ran out on the day we were there. I probably would not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed April 2006