“Great staff but the rooms are a little tired”

Hyatt Place Dallas/North Arlington/Grand Prairie
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Grand Prairie
Columbus, Ohio
“Great staff but the rooms are a little tired”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The service here was excellent! It was actually much better than at the hotel we stayed at in Austin later that week for twice the price. One example is that my coworker and I were looking for a safe park to go running in one evening and the front desk was really helpful in providing directions and even a map and making sure we knew where we were going.

What keeps me from giving this four stars for this level hotel is that my room was rather beaten up. I know this hotel is close to Six Flags, so I'm guessing families stay here and the kids are hard on the rooms, but that's conjecture on my part. There were some significant dents in the walls and some cracked tiles in the bathroom. Also, the bed was a little hard and the A/C was quite noisy. Overall, it was not the home-away-from-home hotel experience you hope for.

I did, however, appreciate having a small refrigerator in my room. There was no microwave but I didn't end up needing one and I'm sure the staff would have let me use the one downstairs. The rooms were also a generous size, with the full sized couch and desk/dining table in addition to the king sized bed. I think it would be a great option for families!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed here with my sister in-law, our two children, her two children, and her teenage daughter's friend. All three adults, 3 young children, and 2 teenagers were happy. You really can't ask for much more than that, can you?

The only thing I could criticize would be breakfast. In general, Hyatt Place does not have a great continental breakfast if you are traveling with children. Free waffles would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping they switch Hyatt Place to the new Hyatt House type of breakfast "buffet"!

Hyatt rarely disappoints! Thank you!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank InOurHappyPlace
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 20 March 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in Hyatt places almost 15 nights in the last 45 days.
They always have a great breakfast and great customer service.

That was not the case here. I brought my family here for vacation and was not happy Customer service was non- existent and the breakfast was only cold cereal and pastries.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank p5harri
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel and everything went well. We arrived late and the check in was smooth with a friendly receptionist. We had no problems. The room was clean and large. It had a king size bed, a 42" flat screen TV, a fridge, a work desk, and a separate area with a couch. The work area had plenty of outlets that were easy to get to so you could not only plug in your laptop but could also charge up your phone, your itouch and anything else that might need charging up all at the same time. In other words there were more outlets here than you normally see at a work desk. You got free wifi too. Continental breakfast came with the stay and it had what most continental breakfasts have, muffins, sweet rolls, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, milk, coffee, and different kinds of juices. If you wanted to order something else that was hot--waffles, eggs, etc. that was available for a cost. The location is almost directly across the street from Six Flags Over Texas so I could see this as being a big plus when the park is open. All in all the stay was pleasant and problem free. I would stay here again, especially with the price being so reasonable.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 32RLM13
Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was immediately impressed when we arrived in our room because the hotel "remembered." Frequently, we make requests without our reservations that are somehow misplaced, or ignored. That didn't happen here. We requested extra pillows, and extra coffee. Both were waiting for us in our room upon arrival.

Customer service got another star for the resolution of a problem. As it turns out, the problem was ours. We misunderstood the AARP discount we expected to received. The manager on duty, Jackie, politely pointed out the error, and then gave us the discount anyone, even though she was in no way obliged to do so. That was just the start. All throughout our stay, every member of the staff was very friendly, very nice, and very accommodating. We were very pleased.

Overall, the hotel is in a good location between Fort Worth and Dallas, right along I-360 with easy access to I-30 making trips to either or both destinations into short trips. The hotel itself is not lavish, but it is neatly, and attractively decorated, and, for the most part, very clean. They do a pretty good job of vacuuming, and picking up after guests. I noticed some rough edges - like cracks, scrapes, and incomplete caulking - but those types of things can be expected in a busy building. There was nothing too drastic, and most are hardly worth mentioning.

We liked that the room price also included Wi-Fi access at no additional charge, and Continental Breakfast. The internet was easy to access, and quick enough for most people's need. The Continental Breakfast offered a variety of cold cereals, in addition to oatmeal, milk, orange juice, tomato juice, apple juice, coffee, decaf, tea, whole wheat bread, white bread, white English muffins, white bagels, small cupcakes, danish, fresh fruit, grapefruit. It was very adequate with enough variety to suit most tastes and desires. Patrons can also order anything they want separately from the 24/7 menu. They don't have room service, but patrons can go to the lobby, and get just about anything they want any time of day. Just note that they do not have pitchers for coffee. Any coffee you want, either in the room or in the lobby, will be by the cup.

The room and bed were a good size for the price. There was plenty of space in our room to easily accommodate four people, or a family with two kids. I liked the sitting area in the room that gave the sense of almost being a "suite."

Our room had a very large, flat screen TV that was easy to work with easily accessible and visible connections for other devices located conveniently on the wall. There were plenty of conveniently located electrical plugs to satisfy all devices. I will note that the refrigerator in our room did not work very well. It was running, and I do not know what the problem was, but we could not get it to get very cold at all. Fortunately, we were not caring any perishables, and only needed the fridge to cool some beverages for us. Instead, we just used ice from the ice machine.

All in all, it was a great place to stay that I would both recommend it to anyone who asked, and return to in the future. I could not be happier.

Room Tip: Check for AAA, and AARP discounts. The food in the lobby is decent, but, after that, the only reall...