If this hotel is really the 10th highest rated in Galveston, I would hate to think what number 11 is like! It has a few redeeming qualities, but this hotel is certainly not worth the $190+ rate.
SERVICE: The staff were generally very friendly, however when I booked our room (two months in advance) I requested a room on one of the upper floors. I then called the morning of to confirm everything, but "Laura" informed me that rooms are strictly "first come first serve". I wasn't in the mood to argue, but needless to say we ended up on the 1st floor.
CLEANLINESS: The hotel is generally pretty clean, but the grout in our bathroom was seriously gross (see photos). The entire property is in desperate need of refurbishing.
LOCATION: The location is pretty decent in terms of hot spots in Galveston, but even in an ocean front room you can forget about hearing any waves crashing on the beach just 100 yards away. The noise from the traffic is terrible. Our balcony could have been great but all we could hear all day and most of the night were attention-starved bikers on Harleys, trucks with no muffler, and music blasting from the ever-growing abundance of Galveston rif-raff. (How about a nice strong noise ordinance, City of Galveston??)
PROPERTY: The exterior of the Casa del Mar is not bad. It looks nice and the landscaping is good. However, the elevator was broken for the first part of our stay, and walking through our interior hallway felt like walking through a jail house. The interior windows have bars on them (bars??) and there is a constantly changing assortment of bad smells: it seemed to fade from mildew, to dead fish, to yesterdays cooking, and back to mildew.
ROOMS: It's nice to have a stove and a very dented fridge, and I was told that most of the rooms now have flat screen TV's.. but that's where the fun ends. The rooms are very small and look like they have not been renovated for at least 20 years. Our bed was a joke. The mattress was so sunken in the middle it felt like sleeping in a spongy hammock. Every single light fixture is filled with ultra-bright, eye-killing florescent bulbs, even in the bedroom and living room. (I bought a regular light bulb at Kroger and screwed it into the lamp just so we didn't feel like we were serving time.)
OTHER ISSUES: There was rust on the fridge, in the bathroom, on some of the light fixtures, and the patio door frame was VERY rusted. (I know it must be difficult to maintain things when you're on the water, but at least try! One of the closets had a water-heater stuffed into it, and EVERYTHING in the room (fixtures, TV's, counter tops, linens, towels, decor) was the lowest quality I've ever seen in a 3-star hotel. I know you pay for the beach location, but you shouldn't feel like you're staying in a $59 road-side motel.
Amazingly, this property seems like it is constantly booked so they MUST have the funds to renovate. We definitely won't be back until they do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voted Best Condo Rental on the Island! Our on site Galveston team personally handles your reservation when you book direct. We guarantee the best service, rates & packages! Casa del Mar Beachfront Suites - always a super value; ideal for a family vacation or a weekend getaway for two. When you’re looking for the ideal lodging choice, why stay in an ordinary hotel when you can have all the comforts of home in a beachfront suite ? Casa del Mar Beachfront Suites are a super value, ideal for a family vacation or a weekend getaway for two. Each fully furnished suite offers a private balcony for you to relax and enjoy the view as well as a small living area with a newly remodeled studio kitchen. There is a small private bedroom with a queen size bed and in the living area, a queen sofa sleeper and a set of Junior bunks designed for small children under the age of 10. We have two tropical pools (one seasonally heated), a trellised Bar-B-Que area, laundry facilities and Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in all suites and throughout the property. Our beautifully landscaped property also features conference and catering facilities ideal for family reunions, small groups and corporate retreats. Casa del Mar is conveniently located right on the Seawall beachfront, central to all of the Island's great restaurants, shopping and favorite attractions. Relax by the pool, take a sunset stroll on the beach or enjoy Galveston's rich Island history. Casa del Mar and Galveston Island offer something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Del Mar Beachfront Hotel Galveston
- Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites Galveston