“Word of Caution when Reserving a Cabana” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 100 things to do in Galveston
League City, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Word of Caution when Reserving a Cabana”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We reserved a cabana in "Cabana Village" online for the fourth of July weekend 2012 as we had done last year. Very pricey on holidays. Cabana=$155.00 (with tax) and 4 tickets=$120.00. Last year I called to find out where the cabana was. I recall the reservation stated our cabana number was 7 or 8. When I called last year I was told that it is "first come first serve". So in order to make sure the cabana we were going to be in all day was out of the sun, we arrived at the park 30 minutes before they opened. We got our wrist bands and walked in to the park and chose a cabana in the section we had reserved. There were at least 8 cabanas to choose from and we were the first cabana reservations to arrive, so we had our choice of any of the cabanas.

This year we did the same exact thing-same "Cabana Village"-got there 30 minutes before opening etc. However, when they put the wristbands on us, there was a cabana number on them, which I did not recall from last year. I asked to speak to a supervisor and Brittney came to the window. I explained everything that happened from last year and that was why we were there so early. She stated that she had been working there for 3 years and had never heard the above story happening-that all cabanas are reserved in the order in which the reservation is made. Essentially, she was saying that a customer would never have the choice of the particular cabana in a given section. This of course makes no sense whatsoever and was not our experience from last year. When a reservation is made online, there is NO CHOICE given to the customer to choose a particular cabana, the only choice is the cabana section (beach or village). She just kept telling me that my experience was incorrect. In other words, I must be lying. Giving up, we started to go to the cabanas and ran into "another" supervisor named DJ. I explained the whole story again and DJ just wanted to debate. Finally after standing out in the hot sun debating with DJ, he finally told me that he has no authority. What?? He never offered to have someone come over to the cabana to try to rectify it--no help at all.

I decided to walk all the way back to the front "customer relations" desk. I asked to speak to the GM. Was told okay… and then waited...waited...waited. About 15-20 minutes later a woman sticks her head out the window and asks if she can help me. I ask her if she is the GM-Ron and she says no. She says, is there anything she can do? I had no interest in telling this story again to some random person. I said no. She never identified herself. She left, then Brittney comes to the window and tells me that she is sorry, that there is a "protocol" they have to go by. Apparently this lady was in management--but she didn't tell me that. Still waiting for GM-Ron...waiting... Finally, Brittney comes back to the window and says that GM-Ron is in a meeting. She will move us to a different cabana. However, she has no idea how the cabanas in the village are numbered!! So, she can not assign us one in the front row (TIP: no sun all day in the front row) Jeeze, if she doesn't know, how should the customer know? They are not numbered in any order...it's really weird. She instructed me to walk all the way back to the “village” and write down the vacant cabanas and then bring that back with all of our party so that everyone could get new wristbands--and so that she did not have to move from her air conditioned customer relations office. After another 10-15 minutes, I asked her why she just didn't call one of the waitstaff and ask them? She finally did get a call back from someone who told her the numbering order and then I walked back to the “village”, got everyone together and we all walked back to the window and waited...waited…waited—another 10-15 minutes. Finally got the wristbands exchanged and walked back. Never did hear from GM-Ron.

We arrived at the park at 9:30am. The park opened up a little early (about 9:50am) It took about 2.25 hours of walking back and forth, trying to rectify this. I realize that it took a chunk of time out of our enjoyment--but it infuriates me when someone essentially calls me a liar.

SUGGESTION: Update your website to include the cabanas within the 2 sections with the “numbering order” and a detailed map of the layout of the cabanas and let your customers choose the cabana they want in the particular section. That way “we” won’t have to bother “you” at customer relations and can begin to enjoy our day without the argument.

So how did the rest of the day go? Absolutely GREAT!! We had some terrific wait staff, Alex and Melissa...you both did awesome! Another shout out to Danielle. She was with DJ when he was debating. He and Danielle came over to the "new" cabana later to ask if everything was okay. It was ridiculous—even at this point, he just kept wanting to debate his position. We suggested that the next time someone has a problem and he has no authority, just let them know and GO GET SOMEONE WHO DOES :) and stop defending your position. Danielle showed much more maturity; was much more customer service oriented.

16 Thank Meander48
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Seabrook, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun on the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Fun water park. Not as big as New Braunfels location, but this is Fun and close to home! They let you bring in your own drinks and snacks with really helps on the budget!

Visited May 2012
4 Thank ToniLerch
Rowlett, Texas, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Best Schlitterbahn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I love coming to Schlitterbahn Galveston and have never been let down! On this visit we rented a cabana and it was well worth the money! Went on July 4th and the service was awesome, constantly had staff members checking on us. The rides had lines but nothing too long. This company gets service and knows how to treat their guests. I came back each year!

1 Thank Gina C
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Always can count on a good time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Very well run, very well organized and planned out park. Lifeguards are very attentive. If you wait to go until after 3, you get a pretty decent discount.

2 Thank Margaret S
North Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Good times!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

A great place to take a family. Nice, clean grounds & they let you bring in your own cooler. The concrete gets hot so make sure you wear water shoes or flip flops.

Visited June 2012